VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

as you probably know from my last thread asking for advice about buying a MK4 R32 I was looking for one. Found one at VW for a good price so went to look at it. Here is the spec...

Silver 04 plate, 44k miles, Black leather, Satnav, Cruise, 3dr

Looked like its pretty specced up to me and cause I wanted bit of reassurance buying from VW was desirable. Also wanted to trade in my Audi 2.0 TDI Sport (2005).

Went to test drive it today. Last time I drove an R32 on a test drive was at night in 2006. Was a bit of a bad idea looking at a car at 7pm when it was dark but not today, went at 1pm!

Car looked good, silver, in good condition. Sitting in the car reminded me what I loved about it. It feels so special sitting in those Konig seats, esp in black leather. Turned the heating up to 5 and it felt good. The chunky little wheel with the R-logo looks and feels perfect. It feels solid and secure. The gear lever has quite a short throw on it compared to my Audi but this feels sporty!

Went out for a test drive with a senior used VW salesman. He was pretty cool and laid back and knew what I wanted to do so recommended some good roads to give it a thrash on. In total prob spent a good 30 mins on the test drive. It was a bit wet and there were a few cars who were holding me back but finally got the opportunity to open it up. It was a good test because the wet conditions are what we have here lots in the UK as you all know.

The car gripped well in the corners at speed, the power was good and pushed me back in the seat. I was impressed because I have put over 5000 miles in my dad's E46 M3 which is a fast car, but I wasnt expecting the R32 to feel as fast as it did! It stock as far as I can tell and the salesman said they hadnt logged any mods on it. The exhaust was standard from what I could see.

The throttle is a bit sensitive as mentioned in other threads, but after a while I got used to it. I liked the gearbox. The steering felt solid and precise. The engine was a bit boomy when I was in 5th or 6th and going sub 40 mph but ok in lower gears at that speed. Does the milltek cure this??

The engine sounded so sweet tho once I cracked through 3000 rpm, not to mention the shove back in my seat and the change of pace!! I loved it. I have wanted an R32 (Mk4) since they came out. I had a Mk4 1.6 in the past and even put an R32 front bumper on it (sad I know). Its a great car and I knew I had to have it. I will really enjoy having it, driving it.

I will get a 12 month warranty from VW which apparently is as comprehensive as if the car was less than 3yrs old. Get 12 months MOT too. Checking up about the 6463 upgrade but didnt notice any flatspots. Haldex is sorted at 20k. Does it need doing every 20,000 miles???

Will want to stick a milltek on it in a few months, prob run it stock for a little bit while i save up for it. May try and meet up with some of you guys with millteks to help decide which to get. The exhaust on the stock car did sound great but not too loud. Wouldnt mind it being a bit louder.

So there it is. Another new member to the R32oc! Part-ex my audi against the R32 and should pick her up in a wk or so. Cant F***in wait!! Was so excited in anticipation of the test drive this weekend I didnt sleep properly last night and Friday too! Am in the North West, wonder how many others around here.

Cooky

PS - spotted a greyish (hard to tell due to the evening light) Mk4 R32 on Friday night, on the M6 Toll road, giving it some. was going south, prob 7ish pm. If you read this, your left rear driving/parking light is gone. Your car looked wicked tho, tried to chase but was in a Merc C180 so gave up at 90!

·
1,222 Posts
psg001, this is great news! I am pleased for you.

The engine was a bit boomy when I was in 5th or 6th and going sub 40 mph but ok in lower gears at that speed. Does the milltek cure this??
Yes

Haldex is sorted at 20k. Does it need doing every 20,000 miles???
I would say that at 44K I would get the filter and oil changed on the Haldex. If you can then get it done every 20K.

May try and meet up with some of you guys with millteks to help decide which to get
You could try the brands Hatch meet on the 26th or the GTI Festival on the 15th April. or arrange with some members of this forum that are near you.

All I can say is congratulations!

·
402 Posts
all I can say.......you have made the right choice - i reckon they could even become classics in future (if not already!) as V6 hatchbacks are rare and set to become even more so.......

enjoy - especially nailing 3rd and 4th on the motorway - that sound is too addictive!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
815 Posts
where abouts in the north west? im in Widnes not far from Liverpool.

Stu

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in NW. Prob the only R32 around here, not seen or heard any others!! There are about 4 Bentley Continental GT's within a mile of where I live, the people here are seriously rich. There is a bloke with a new RS4 avant down the road, that sounds good on the move.

Glad the milltek cures the boominess. Need to get one!

Cooky

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Great news Cooky, bet you can't sleep at night!

Regarding the exhaust "boom", the resonated Milltek will cure this but it is almost quieter than stock unless you are really giving it some. The non-resonated is loud, but I like it that way! On the move it turns heads amazingly well, and if you like some noise then it's definately the one to get... here's a little clip of mine :D

Matt

·
259 Posts
How do PSG001, nice to see someone else from the NW on the forum, i pootle around the Bolton & Warrington area, will keep my eyes open in case you ever wander past.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mattchaps said:
Great news Cooky, bet you can't sleep at night!

Regarding the exhaust "boom", the resonated Milltek will cure this but it is almost quieter than stock unless you are really giving it some. The non-resonated is loud, but I like it that way! On the move it turns heads amazingly well, and if you like some noise then it's definately the one to get... here's a little clip of mine :D

Matt
that sounds brilliant Matt! Hmm, I'm not sure now, I do love that sound, one of the reasons I love the R. Will run it stock for a few months and then maybe see someone else's R with the Res/Non Res milltek, might help me decide.

Will do the odd run down to South/Central Manchester a couple of times a month so will prob be visible there! Not seen many Mk4 R32's about recently, seen one or two in Preston, not seen any in Manchester for a while.

Cooky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts