Retrofit MK5 Park Assist - Tutorials and Guides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Retrofit MK5 Park Assist

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
i've come to the point where i've done just about every mod/retrofit i can to my mk5 and over winter i've been toying with the idea of fitting park assist for a bit of fun.

so after a bit of research quite a few people have tried to fit park assist to the mk5 but have never got it working the reason for this is the ABS unit.

we're lucky on the mk5 that we already have the electric steering rack so it has a motor on it for the power steering which can turn the steering wheel for you.

so if your starting off this project from scratch you will also need to fit 8 parking sensors to the car 4 rear 4 front and 2 extra front sensors at sides of bumper you can get a kit here

http://www.carsystem...rear,id739.html

luckily for me i fitted 8 parking sensors a few good years back so i just needed to buy an upgrade kit

http://www.carsystem...rade,id649.html

right the problem we now have is we have the wrong ABS unit on the MK5 to aid with the park assist, most of us will have an MK60 ABS unit fitted,but now we need to fit an MK60EC1, after a bit of trawling the interweb i find out that the only way you can code this new ABS unit is via VW with its online connection to its servers including your VIN which is encrypted into the new coding for the MK6 anyway, for the MK5 it won't code it as it shouldn't be fitted to our cars.

i'll come back to this later on but apparently it can now be done but i'm still uncertain and will have to do a lot of work before i can finally find out.

the other week i removed the front bumper, lots of guides as already on line to do this and its quite easy once you've first done it

on the back of the bumper i checked i had room where i roughly wanted the sensors to go and on the back of the mk5 bumper it has some crossed lines in the abs plastic clearly park assist wasn't around then but i used these crossed lines as a guide to drill the holes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i used a 28 mm step cutter to give a perfect cut through the paint, the biggest of the 3, if you try to use a bigger one and stop on 28mm you'll just bugger up the hole and go through bigger as its not easy to stop in soft plastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

so the sensors need to be pointing out at roughly 90 deg from the car again its not that easy as it was never fitted to the mk 5

Posted Image

Posted Image

the sensor holder needed the foam sticky pads removing as we have thicker bumpers on the 5 compared to the 6, I will probably use adhesive silicone sealant to stick them in as i use this quite a lot and it works very well

here is the holder

Posted Image

Posted Image

tested for size in the bumper

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so now to the ABS unit, this is fitted behind the battery and airbox area right down the back. on LHD cars this is under the brake servo where as ours is on the opposite side

This is the little baby that needs changing

there are various units we can use here is a list

1K0 907 379 AT or BE or BJ or BL

AT = MY 2010
BE = MY 2011
BJ = MY 2012
BL = MY 2013

Posted Image

but first hurdle is the wiring as the MK6 wiring changed from the MK5, so i started on this first to re pin the plug with the correct wires in the correct pins.

you will need one of these a pin removal tool

Posted Image

here is a list of what you need to do (i can't guarantee this is the same for every MK5 but it is for a 2008 R32)

Posted Image

take the back off the plug to see all the wires

Posted Image
slide the purple locking plastic to the open position in the plug

now use the tool to start removing the pins

Posted Image

so there are some cables that are not needed any more as the new ABS unit has some sensors built in rather than being a separate unit, so tape the cables up separately you have left.

once the old ABS unit was out i discovered a small problem vw have decided to swap the size of the 2 inner holes here

Posted Image

what was m10 is now m12 and vice versa, so luckily brake lines are really cheap from vw so i've ordered a new passenger side brake line from TPS and also I've got this coming from the USA (could not find one anywhere in the UK) its an M12 to M10 reducer for brake lines

Posted Image

Posted Image

so got to wait now till early may before i can bleed the system and carry on with the whole install.

OK so eventually all my bits turned up, so i could crack on, so first I changed the passenger side brake line as it now has M10 fittings on both ends rather than M12 ABS end M10 brake end.

Then I put the ABS unit back in the car, I decided to order a new MK6 bracket as well, once in piped it all back up

Posted Image

the blue adapter is the M12 to M10 reducer i had to order from America

So at this point i was ready to bleed the brakes, many procedures on line to bleed your brakes, it was a bit of a pain as i'd only done this once before but I'm quite confident now at doing it.

This now leaves two things, basic settings and coding.

After conversing with Eddie-NL from mk5golfgti he told me to do basic settings first

so please follow this from Ross Tech

http://wiki.ross-tec...php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60EC1)

Then finally when this is done we can enter the coding of the unit.

Once again I needed help from Eddie who came up with a code for me to use and it actually went in to the ABS unit, so a massive thanks to him for the Code and the Part number of the ABS module i needed.

there is a coding helper available from the forum MHH Auto to help code the unit but i had no luck with this compared to Eddie-NL using genuine abritus72 VAG Commander which has a code builder in it

this is the MHH coding helper

Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right I could now concentrate on wiring the other sensors and the extra switch

I decided i really like my Engine Spin pattern on my MK5 ashtray so I didn't want to buy the MK6 ashtray with the extra switch position in

I hardly use the tyre pressure switch but clearly i still want it, so i moved it to somewhere else, this is easily reversible by buying a new rubber for the bottom of the ashtray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now slight difference in location of the control module in the MK6 to the 5, my unit is behind the driver side trim in the boot MK6 is above the BCM at the front of the car, so i needed to extend the switch and front sensor wires with a bit of soldering to reach the back, quite easily done.

had some teething problems yesterday

1st, steering assist (module 44) was having problems communicating with the park assist (module 10), the can bus wires for module 10 were quite long as i had previously tapped into the Xenon range controller, this length of run was to long, worked OK for OPS but not park assist.

i shortened these to run from the steering wheel control unit (module 16) and it worked a whole lot better

2nd was i got the 2 sensors on the front bumper wired the wrong way round, due to the car systems wiring loom being for a LHD car and i assumed the placement of these which was wrong, swapped the wires over and all was ok

P.S anyone reading this who may need a code for there car please contact Eddie-NL who has the program to assist in building it up, he is quite willing to help

http://www.mk5golfgt...=profile;u=2345
  • SVK and VASILEIOS1972 like this
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
Here is my first attempt at youtube videos, i'll try to get better ones soon, hope you enjoy

• Jet9 and VASILEIOS1972 like this
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

AaronMc

AaronMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
Well done for giving it a crack mate! Always nice to know youve got something no one else has that youve worked out how to fit etc..

Will be keeping tuned!

R32paulm

R32paulm

• Members
  • 1415 posts
Nice work
Subscribed!
MK5 R32 3DOOR DSG

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16142 posts
  • LocationThurso
Ultimate respect for DIY and even more so to do with electrics

:)

N13KKF™

N13KKF™

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 3797 posts
  • LocationESSEX
Look forward to seeing this finished & working. Good luck Si :)

RobP

RobP

Dirty Member

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Locationessex
love projects like this, just stands out from the crowd..... and wow dont think id be brave enough to drill a hole in my bumper!!
Listen to what people say, but watch what people do!

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
well in for a penny and all that!!

Not quite going to plan. VW have changed a few things between the 5 and the 6, i still don't know if the unit is even going to accept the code at the end of it all, but its something to do for a few weeks, just had to buy a brake flaring tool to cut and join a brake line that disappears behind the engine !! stay tuned

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

R32OOL

R32OOL

Alien Member

• Members
  • 1326 posts
  • LocationArea 51, Nevada
Wow ! This is looking good, nice work Si .....I hope it works flawlessly for you :)

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
well today was the full test, and it all fully works.

i'll get a video up soon but this is probably one of the first ever installs on a MK5 golf, really happy with it all.
  • SVK and R32OOL like this

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

ad_182_uk

ad_182_uk

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1523 posts
  • LocationLong Eaton, Nottingham
You have some serious auto-electric skills!

Jet9

Jet9

• Members
  • 1436 posts

well today was the full test, and it all fully works.

i'll get a video up soon but this is probably one of the first ever installs on a MK5 golf, really happy with it all.

Excellent write up - looking forward to the video
2008 Mk V DSG, DBP

R32OOL

R32OOL

Alien Member

• Members
  • 1326 posts
Amazing work well done :)

inactive

inactive

• Hidden
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
You......SI-R32 are DOC BROWN.

I really admire some of the work you carry out and share with the forum.

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
Thanks for all the comments guys i really appreciate it, its been a month of mucking about but i'm well chuffed with it all and in the big scheme of things hasn't actually cost and arm and a leg for once.

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

Simes996

Simes996

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, Hampshire
Awesome :)

ad_182_uk

ad_182_uk

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1523 posts
  • LocationLong Eaton, Nottingham
Just need you to. Fit a sub for me, sort folding mirrors for me and do alarm blips for me. Then you can be considered god like.

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent
videos finally added in post 2, this mod is the best thing i've ever done its superb

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

VWR

VWR

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationBelfast
Excellent write up - love to see people trying these things out.....love the Youtube videos's as well.

Congrats :good:
MKV R32: DBP - DSG - 5 Door

CAMBR32

CAMBR32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
That's brilliant! Well done.

R32paulm

R32paulm

• Members
  • 1415 posts
That's awesome!
Is that mk6 dials aswell!
MK5 R32 3DOOR DSG

R32OOL

R32OOL

Alien Member

• Members
  • 1326 posts
You truly are a magician when it comes to electrics ....excellent work
I'll second that previous comment Did you fit those scirroco dials your self ?

Andrew.

Andrew.

Wheel Whore!

• Members
  • 1204 posts
So what has it cost you to do in total si?
Never thought I'd say it but damn, the 4 cyl isn't as bad as I thought!

73landau

73landau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOrange NSW Australia
Big job and gamble. I thought about it but not that much thinking to go that far. Congrats on the job and if you get bored and want a holiday down under, I will let you assist doing mine :-)
Posted Image 08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps/pirelli's, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, Haldex and switch, s2t paddles, HPA dogbone rubber,Mk6 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Trackstud studs and nuts, Garage opener button, GruppeM, resonated Milltek. CF Chin spoiler, Strut support, UB/XB Badgeless/standard/CF grill(depending on mood) LEDs, puddle lights, fog lights.....
http://photobucket.com/gregsr32

Montana32

Montana32

Cutting Edge Member

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 1263 posts
  • LocationWorcestershire
Well done mate.Amazing work as usual :good:
DBP MKV R32 Ruf Stealth Supercharged
RNS510 + R32 boot logo - Cruise Control - Bluetooth - MK6 R Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel - Audi S6 DRL's with Lights on Dimming - Valeo Skyline LED's - Gladen ONE 200's- Stealth sub enclosure - JL sub-/H&R front & rear ARB's-BMC direct intake airsystem - Forge short Shifter - Recaro Bucket Seats - APR RSC Exhaust -Stealth Custom Remap-Cades Berns Wheels - California Coronado Cherry Air Freshener-HPA haldex performance controller-Mtec Dimpled and Grooved discs -Yellowstuff pads-Polar fis advanced

Posted Image

73landau

73landau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOrange NSW Australia
One thought I had, if the ABS was sourced from a car with park assist, would VW need to do any work?
Posted Image 08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps/pirelli's, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, Haldex and switch, s2t paddles, HPA dogbone rubber,Mk6 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Trackstud studs and nuts, Garage opener button, GruppeM, resonated Milltek. CF Chin spoiler, Strut support, UB/XB Badgeless/standard/CF grill(depending on mood) LEDs, puddle lights, fog lights.....
http://photobucket.com/gregsr32

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent

So what has it cost you to do in total si?

Well for me its only cost about £400 all in

but

anyone else starting off from scratch will have to factor in adding 8 parking sensors (OPS) as well you can buy the whole kit from car systemps.pl

Well done mate.Amazing work as usual :good:

Cheers Fern and everyone else for your comments

One thought I had, if the ABS was sourced from a car with park assist, would VW need to do any work?

unfortunately VW would not be able to do any work on this at all, as far as there concerned that ABS unit should not be fitted to a mk5 so they will not help you one bit, you have to rely on possibly the code generator from the MHH Auto forum or contact Eddie-NL on Mk5golfgti to come up with a code for you.

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East
This is bloody impressive! Great to see ambition come to fruition, top work dude!
STEEL GREY R32 MK5 // AAS EXHAUST // KW V1 // H&R SPACERS // H&R ARBs // BUILD THREAD

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • LocationKent

That's awesome!
Is that mk6 dials aswell!

well its the Scirocco clocks which fit the MK5 perfectly, the MK6 clocks don't fit in the MK5

You truly are a magician when it comes to electrics ....excellent work
I'll second that previous comment Did you fit those scirroco dials your self ?

well i fitted them, but had to get someone with genuine VAG Commander software to program them up and to code the key chips to the clocks (it pains me to have to pay other people to do what i could if i actually had the software)
  • VASILEIOS1972 likes this

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

VASILEIOS1972

VASILEIOS1972

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello my friend!
Congratulations for the great installation!!!!
Can you if it is not problem to post a full autoscan??

Regards

vv

Edited by VASILEIOS1972, 13 April 2015 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.