Mk5 Recaros - anyone replaced foam bolsters / OEM leather covers? - Interior and Exterior - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk5 Recaros - anyone replaced foam bolsters / OEM leather covers?

mk5 recaro leather interior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Slangwerks

Slangwerks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,

Newbie MK5 R32 owner here based in South Wales (although owned a load of VW's before this!)

Absolutely love my R, and want to get it to pristine condition - currently got a bit of bolster sag on my recaros which really bugs me. As this is a fairly common issue on the Recaros I wondered if anyone's had this repaired? Did a search but couldn't really find any answers.

I've looked at the parts diagram for the seats and it appears that the foam bolsters are available separately, as are the leather covers (1 part for leather seat base and lower bolster cover, 1 part for the leather backrest and upper bolster cover - around £400 per cover!)

Couple of questions on what's easier and more cost effective:
1) Buy the OEM bits (probably about £800 per seat?) and fit them myself, then sell the existing covers to get some money back. Difficult job? Massive waste of cash?

2) get a leather retrimmer to fix the problem bits. Can anyone recommend a trimmer and indicate potential costs?

Cheers for any advice you can provide!

Will

Furbo

Furbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSheffield, UK
Hi - I've done a 5 dr to 3 dr leather retrofit as I bought 5dr seats by mistake!
Changing the foam will obviously require you to remove the leather covers - you mention that the bolster is sagging - but what is the condition of the leather cover? I ask because if the leather is serviceable, by just replacing the foam and reusing the existing leather would be the most cost effective option by far, assuming you did it yourself.

The foam on standard cloth (Recaros) and on the leather seats is the same, so you could easily pick up new replacement foam, or even a spare set of cloth seats and break them down.
The job itself isn't too difficult, although is by no means a 10 minute quickie. Having essentially stripped four seats down now myself, I would approach this confidently. But the first time was a bit fiddly when learning how it all fits together etc.
I do have some pictures kicking about, as I intended on doing a guide (as well as an ICE installation) but had my laptop nicked a couple of months back. So, I do have some pics but not all, but am happy to provide guidance if necesaary.

Obviously, if your leather is also in need of replacement, then your costs will go up significantly assuming you buy new leather. In this case, I would've thought a bit of patience and ebay searching would see you pick up a complete leather interior for less than the £800 you mention! I paid £500 for a pristine set of 5dr leathers with heated/electric lumbar front seats. If you take this option then obviously you have serviceable parts or could just sell your own seats on to recoup some money!

Cheers
Paul
  • Slangwerks likes this

Slangwerks

Slangwerks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply mate - really good points!
Glad to hear it's not an impossible task, I expected it to be fiddly so that sounds about right.

My leather's not bad apart from a heavily creased and squashed lower bolster, and a tiny hole/seam fray on the upper bolster where they all go.

My passenger side seat is pretty much perfect, so if decent recaro fronts are available for sensible money then it makes most sense to get a good set, swap my driver side for a mint passenger side, and sell the pair of driver's seats on.

I'll get ebaying!

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I am getting the seat base foam changed in mine at the end of the month. The base foam was 98 from the local vw dealers. I am getting it changed and both drivers side bolsters re coloured for 250 at my local trimmers. I also looked at getting the leather from the dealers but they quoted 462 each for the backrest and base leather cover. Personally I would look to do this if I was you. The chance of getting recaro front for a sensible price is slim at best.
  • Slangwerks likes this

Slangwerks

Slangwerks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, that's a good price - be interested to see some before/after shots!
Not sure if there are any decent retrimmers local to me but probably be the most cost effective route so I'll investigate.

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Yeah, it's not easy to find a trimmer. There is only one in my area but he came recommended. I just hope he does a good job. I will get some before and after shots. I'm just hoping they end up looking good as the thick end of 500 quid for each cover is a bit steep. The trimmer did also say that it would be possible to replace the actual leather panels on the bolster. He said to do the foam base and redo the panel with new leather would wok out around the 500 mark. Hope this helps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk5, recaro, leather, interior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.