DSG jerky when setting off 2008 model - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

DSG jerky when setting off 2008 model

DSG MK5 R32

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CCT

CCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNottingham
Has anyone else experienced the following problem that doesn't always show it's self but I think it could be getting worse. When I pull away in 1st (Auto or manual mode) sometimes the clutch feels like it engages to harshly and nearly stalls the engine. Then the car sort of lurches forward a bit like a learner driver in a manual car. As I said it does not always happen but is annoying when it does and sounds harsh on the transmission. The gearbox was serviced at 40k by VW so the oil should be good.

All other operation of the box is smooth and just like the one my wife has in her GT tdi and I can't fault it.

MaysEffect

MaysEffect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
My car is also experiencing similar problems. I recently took it to the dealer twice! and they claimed the issue was with the Mechatronics unit. First time they changed the unit (no improvements), so the second time they "flashed" the unit to update the timing but with no real improvements again! So now I'm trying to find a manual gearbox or file a claim for them to give me a new dsg gearbox under warranty.

The issue usually occurs around 2-4k rpms with mild throttle. There is a hard thump and pop into the next gear, only really discernible in 1st-2nd-3rd gears.

Speaking of which if anyone in Europe (or UK) can give me the part number for the Manual gearbox, i would appreciate it! :help:

My guess is the clutch packs. engine/trans mounts need replacing, but somehow the service people are being hard asses and do not feel the need to do the repairs.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4468 posts
I assume you have already gone through the full DSG reset\basic settings and re-learn procedure a set out in Vag Com\VCDS?If not then that is one sure to do.

James
6ef5ae1b-733e-4a7e-ba6e-6cc31ab53894_zps

GENUINE VCDS HEX CAN - VAG TACHO - VDS PRO - SCANS & DIAGNOSTICS, DATA LOGGING, DSG GEARBOX CALIBRATION, CODING, CRUISE CONTROL ETC. CAN DO MILES TO EMPTY, LIT NEEDLES & GAUGES, REAL TIME TEMP GAUGE, AUTO WINDOWS FROM FOB. West Yorkshire.

lee005

lee005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
My DSG is quite harsh when the engine and gear box are cold, if I go to fast straight off the gear changers are harsh, but when its warmed up there are no further issues, its been like that in the 4 years ive had the car and the gear box has been serviced twice in that time.

DOC

DOC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Does it have hill-hold? Sometimes mine a bit jerky to release the brakes when just setting off on a hill. If you wait the 2 secs for the brakes to release on their own then it'll pull away smoothly.

sumtingwong

sumtingwong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSE London
Guess its for all DSG boxes, mines the same when cold, worse when stone cold. Also it feels sluggish too.

Once warmed, no harshness at all.

BrassFlute

BrassFlute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationBath
It's all in the technique - release your foot slowly off the brake and as soon as it bites nail it!

CCT

CCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNottingham

I assume you have already gone through the full DSG reset\basic settings and re-learn procedure a set out in Vag Com\VCDS?If not then that is one sure to do.

I haven't but will do some research and then plug in thanks for the tip.

The problem seems worse when the gearbox is warm to hot and when cold its faultless. To me the fault feels like the clutch for first is more worn and the gearbox loses the reference for biting point so when it engages it dumps the clutch almost stalling the engine.
  • CCT likes this

lil_sham

lil_sham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have a very similar jerky-ness with mine, it's fine until it gets driven hard for a while when the engines warm, jerks in gear changes & also when I'm stationary & put it in drive. Any ideas what this could be, is it mechatronic unit issues?

CCT

CCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNottingham

It's all in the technique - release your foot slowly off the brake and as soon as it bites nail it!

Tried all sorts of things to try and understand the cause. Foot slowly off the brake, gas it, left foot brake and increase rpm etc. nothing cures it when it happens. Even when warm it's not guaranteed that it will happen. :(

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4468 posts
CCT, where are you based mate? I'd be willing to do the DSG reset and calibration for you if you fancy trying it.

I'm in Huddersfield.

James
6ef5ae1b-733e-4a7e-ba6e-6cc31ab53894_zps

GENUINE VCDS HEX CAN - VAG TACHO - VDS PRO - SCANS & DIAGNOSTICS, DATA LOGGING, DSG GEARBOX CALIBRATION, CODING, CRUISE CONTROL ETC. CAN DO MILES TO EMPTY, LIT NEEDLES & GAUGES, REAL TIME TEMP GAUGE, AUTO WINDOWS FROM FOB. West Yorkshire.

CCT

CCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNottingham
I'm in Nottingham but do have a full copy of vag com. Just never done it before and don't want to screw something up. I'll give it a go on Saturday probably cod I'm away this week.

MaysEffect

MaysEffect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I have a very similar jerky-ness with mine, it's fine until it gets driven hard for a while when the engines warm, jerks in gear changes & also when I'm stationary & put it in drive. Any ideas what this could be, is it mechatronic unit issues?

After having my mechatronics unit replaced twice, the VW service center replaced the clutch packs and now it grabs a lot better. Also the Transmission mount was changed and that fixed the engine rocking sensation.

Mind you, if you do not have extended warranty, just sale the car. Its not worth the cost to fix it with your own money. Clutch packs alone would have been 1200 US$ and another 1000 for labor. FFFFFFFFFUUKKKKKKK THATTTT :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSG, MK5, R32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.