Just fitted my UNIbrace... - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Just fitted my UNIbrace...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
Well just come in from fitting my UNIbrace and giving it a 20min test drive so thought i'd give my first impressions!

Firstly, Bruce is a top guy, always quickly responded to my emails(and there's been a few) and always gave clear and consise answers, nice chap... Paylpal came to just over £220 and then a week or so later i received a letter from parcel force saying i had to pay VAT plus service charge so another £24.50...

Upon arrival;

It was nicely packaged with plenty of bubble wrap, opened her up and the quality of the product is 110%! Not a blemish or scratch, smartly machined logo and 6 nutserts(2 spare) and four bolts... really looks the business! I wanna leave my seats out just to show it off!

Fitting;

Ok it's a bit of a pig, stripping the rear of the car is easy mind and the instructions are very clear though would suggest reading a few times so totally clear...

A few things I would do (i did differently), firstly make sure the car is on a level ground, after the initial line up and mark up of the holes which i did with a black marker, centre punch the first hole( i did bottom drivers side), drill and fit the nutsert, then bolt this hole down, and mark the top passenger side hole with the marker, centre punching and drilling and fittig the nutsert. On the Mk5 i found the brace sat in the position it wanted too, sitting as low as possible flat on the chassis, any lower and it started to hit a raise in the mounting surface if you get me... then fit a bolt and mark the other two holes, if you then centre punch, drill and fit the nutserts these should line up about right.... Nutserts all fitted, the brace bolts down in place...

Note on the tool, i never ordered this, instead i made up a tool that worked great, pics to follow...

So I bolted it down tight, hoovered up all the drillings, and took it for a spin... It feels a hell of alot taughter, (even without the seats back in that do make a difference on the mk5) Before you would turn into a corner and a small amount of the steering input would be getting the car to set up ready to take the bend, this eliminates this so it's more immediate, it feels like it corners flatter, because of the stiffer rear, theres none of the roll, which is evident when you stiffen the suspension on the mk5. It feels like you're sitting higher up and there's a lower centre of gravity of the car. It makes it feel like the suspension is dealy with the bumps instead of the twist of the body, which makes the car feel a hell of alot more positive...

So first impressions are very good, tomorrow I will refit the interior, nutlock the thread and tighten the bolts up with a ratchet and take some pics... and will continue to update this to give a more experience view to this modification...

Cheers,

Dom
'07 Mk5 Reflex Silver Golf GTi Edition 30

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
Unibrace

Or just see our link in group buys!

R32TYG

R32TYG

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 2106 posts
Very good write up Dom, just get those photo's up please. :top:
CheeRS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
OK pics...

The tool, worked fine... did the job...
Posted Image

Doing it's job...
Posted Image

Initial fitting... interior stripped out
Posted Image
Posted Image

Seats in no boot floor etc...
Posted Image

Seats in Boot floor back in...
Posted Image

The money shot!
Posted Image

Very impressed...

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4512 posts
Looking gd Dom! How heavy are the rear seats lols.........so you impressed with the difference mate? ;)

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
Yeah on the small amount i've driven so far I am...

Yeah they do weigh a ton! well the big section does, I suppose it's strengthened to accomodate the central seat belt... felt spritelier with it remove along with all the other gubbins, will remember that when/if I do any track days...

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4512 posts
Know exactly what you mean regards the excess weight in the rear of the R, the rear seat frames are VW version of a brace I reckon......

Do some high speed tight roundabouts Dom, the difference with the Unibrace amazed me ;)

R32TYG

R32TYG

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 2106 posts
Looks very professional Dom good job mate. :top:
CheeRS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GTItraveler

GTItraveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Dom: Glad the install went well! Looks like you did a fine job and I'm glad you are happy with it. Regarding the tool, while I know that the one you fabbed worked fine, I would suggest other people at least using grade 10 bolts as the standard grade 8 bolt head sometimes strip and people have been unable to get the correct amount of purchase on the nut. That is why I recommend the heavy duty nutsert tool. The longer lever on your tool is a great idea though.

Everyone else: UNIbraces are ready to ship within 24 hours of your payment. Any questions, please email me at: [email protected].

Bruce Levin
Studiolevin

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
Bruce I would utterly agree about the tool it's would definately be nest to have the right equipment, you wouldn't want to bugger up a nutsert!! I was lucky but I used a 8.8 grade M8 bolt too...

Many thanks again!

Edited by E30Dom, 21 September 2009 - 10:07 AM.

GTItraveler

GTItraveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Dom, that's great. I couldn't tell from the pictures that it was a grade 10.9 bolt, but I'm glad that you realized in advance that that could be a problem. Again, if people decide to go that way have at least one spare bolt in case the head starts to round.

E30Dom

E30Dom

• Members
  • 1583 posts
Yeah, just checked they were only 8.8 bolts(ooopps) would suggest only doing two nutserts per bolt as I did and have spare nuts too... Ultimately just use the RIGHT tool!

There is alot more positive comments(praise)/insatllation tips on vortex..

Dom

Edited by E30Dom, 21 September 2009 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.