What is the haldex power split - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

What is the haldex power split

Haldex Torque Power

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

jln1994

jln1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I was just wondering what is the normal torque split between front and rear under normal driving conditions and what is the maximum torque that can be sent to each wheel or the rear or front.

DaleM

DaleM

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationReading
The rear wheels are only engaged when the haldex unit detects wheel spin on the front wheels

Mikeyscott

Mikeyscott

• Guests
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBetween Fareham & Southampton
Not proper quattro, which is a shame. S3 & TT the same
BMW 2011 135i - Hello
VW 2009 R32 - Gone

SL4VE

SL4VE

• Members
  • 714 posts
Exactly the same as Quattro
Posted Image

jln1994

jln1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the quick replies.

G60Dub

G60Dub

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire
Torque split under normal driving conditions is almost zero but the rear engages slightly when pulling away to prevent wheelspin. If wheelspin is then detected it will ramp up the rear engagement a little more. Not sure what the maximum stock engagement is but it's definitely set so as to reduce the Haldex maintenance schedule and not for performance

You can have a look here to determine split. Looks like best case split for stock is 70% Front, 30% rear but even with the Comp controller mode it looks like the max best case split is about 60% Front, 40% rear:

http://forums.vwvort...=1#post87142056

Somebody needs to get a Blue Controller car on 4WD rollers methinks for a true comparison of HPAs new product.
Bora R32 More-Commotion

mp302007

mp302007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
The haldex system consists of a hydraulic clutch that locks from 0 to 100% but it's inline with the propshaft to the rear diff. Torque from the transfer box is split 50/50 front and rear of the car, so when the haldex is disengaged, all power is delivered to the front (the propshaft still spins but no torque goes beyond the clutch). When the haldex is fully engaged, the 50% available from the propshaft is fed to the rear wheels also, so the total power is split 50/50. So, as the haldex engages, power distribution changes from 100/0 to 50/50 front to rear.
  • Sabaselfsit, Redemption and DubNurd like this

Veedubulya

Veedubulya

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationStoke on trent
So the 4 motion is only for initial traction?

Is it ever really seen in normal or even spirited driving eg round bends on a downshift and hard round etc?

Or are they really a fwd in awd clothing

I bought it thinking it would work like the awd on my Impreza, anyone know of they are similar systems?

mp302007

mp302007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
The system response is active and not fully coupled at all times. See self study programme 206 for a full description, but fundamentally the system is for acceleration.

http://www.volkspage...ssp/SSP_206.pdf

See also the pinned link in this section
https://www.r32oc.com...iew__getnewpost

Mikeyscott

Mikeyscott

• Guests
  • 577 posts
  • LocationBetween Fareham & Southampton
Getting more tempted to look at this, but don't drive my car much. 15 miles this week and next week prob 0
BMW 2011 135i - Hello
VW 2009 R32 - Gone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haldex, Torque, Power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.