So I have a MKV R32 DSG, at 115k kms now.
2 days ago I got a warning light for low coolant, so checked the expansion tank to find it had cream all over it. It’s a very light almost almond colour, but definitely oil. Topped up the system and limped home. No cooling system leaks, temp was all normal.
Troubleshooting process so far:
1. Tested cooling system pressure with engine running and hot: no bubbling and pressure maintains fine.
2. Dropped engine oil filter and drained oil – oil is clean, no cream anywhere.
3. Pulled DSG filter – oil is clean, no cream.
4. Pulled DSG cooler – pressure tested cooling system to see if there were leaks – maintains pressure.
5. With oil filter off, DSG cooler connected, pressurized cooling system again – maintains pressure
If it was oil cooler, I’m sure we’d see it in the above step 5, when pressuring the system with oil filter off?
Seems to be just oil in cooling system and no coolant anywhere else – or very little we can’t see.
Could be a tiny hole that only opens up when hot? But where?
Could it be head gasket damage? Porous engine block?
1 reply to this topic