Gen2 Haldex Woes - poor me! - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Gen2 Haldex Woes - poor me!

Haldex

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TheBlueFlash

TheBlueFlash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi all, come hear my tale of 4WD woe...

I've got a 56 plate MkV and after almost 10 years of near-faultless motoring, it looks like my stock Haldex unit has gone wonky. My ESP light first came on after a particularly long (and wet/salty) drive and soon afterwards, started coming on regularly after about 15-20 miles or 30 mins of driving. The light clears if I cycle the ignition but it's only a few seconds before it's back.

My local garage took a look and gave me a printout of the results. It was coming up with an 01324 (J492) under ABS and both a 00003 and an 02248 under AWD. He reckoned it was the controller itself and couldn't be anything else so I started looking into what I could do about it.

Being chronically short of readies these days and hovering on the brink of having to sell my beloved motor, I decided to send it off to Auto Fault Finder in Congleton for a clean-up. Apparently it wasn't that badly corroded but nevertheless, within 40 miles of being refitted it's back doing the same thing (at least the J492 anyway - didn't see a full readout the second time) so either it's an unfixable Haldex box or it's something else wrong with the car altogether (or even worse - both).

Before I go down the route of shelling out for a completely new controller, can anyone think of anything else that might cause this? I'll be sick as a parrot if I fork out £1000 for a new one only to find it's made diddly squat difference.

Also, do any of you lovely people out there have a working stock controller, possibly one you don't need anymore 'cos you replaced it with one of those fancy blue numbers? If so, do you want a new best friend?

Cheers in advance for any advice/sympathy/charity that might be forthcoming :)

Edited by TheBlueFlash, 19 March 2016 - 10:20 PM.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts
I had the exact same symptom on my 2006 R32. Initially tbe ESP light would stay on but go off if I cycled the ignition. Over a code of months it gradually got worse to the point the ESP light would not go off.

Sadly, it was a new Haldex Controller that fixed the problem for me.

Lucifer on here sometimes has some for sale and he can be trusted that he'll sell you a good one.

Edited by cuprabob, 19 March 2016 - 10:33 PM.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V

• Members
  • 1064 posts
plenty of second hand diff's out there
took me two years to sell the one i had for £250 and it only had 20k on it
and i thought that was cheap

the dsg gearbox was another matter could of sold that 4 time over

TheBlueFlash

TheBlueFlash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Cheers for the advice lads, very much appreciated. I'm glad in a way that it does sound like the Haldex unit - at least now I can be reasonably comfortable that replacing it won't be wasted money.

I hadn't considered the idea of going for a full diff but would probably prefer dealing with a known quantity anyway so I'll PM Lucifer and hope :)

Ta!

*Edit* - If Lucifer doesn't have anything available, would something like this be what I should look out for auction-wise or must it come from a donor R32? The part # is mostly the same (mine's 1K0 of course and revision F as opposed to 0BR and revision A) but not sure if that makes enough of a difference.

Ta again :)

Edited by TheBlueFlash, 20 March 2016 - 12:56 AM.

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon
I have several gen 1and gen 2 for sale plus rear diffs and pre charge pumps.

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts
This may be of interest
https://www.r32oc.com...69#entry2265169
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon
That`s silly cheap.

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haldex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.