VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Gen2 Haldex Woes - poor me!

Tags
haldex
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lucifer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, come hear my tale of 4WD woe...

I've got a 56 plate MkV and after almost 10 years of near-faultless motoring, it looks like my stock Haldex unit has gone wonky. My ESP light first came on after a particularly long (and wet/salty) drive and soon afterwards, started coming on regularly after about 15-20 miles or 30 mins of driving. The light clears if I cycle the ignition but it's only a few seconds before it's back.

My local garage took a look and gave me a printout of the results. It was coming up with an 01324 (J492) under ABS and both a 00003 and an 02248 under AWD. He reckoned it was the controller itself and couldn't be anything else so I started looking into what I could do about it.

Being chronically short of readies these days and hovering on the brink of having to sell my beloved motor, I decided to send it off to Auto Fault Finder in Congleton for a clean-up. Apparently it wasn't that badly corroded but nevertheless, within 40 miles of being refitted it's back doing the same thing (at least the J492 anyway - didn't see a full readout the second time) so either it's an unfixable Haldex box or it's something else wrong with the car altogether (or even worse - both).

Before I go down the route of shelling out for a completely new controller, can anyone think of anything else that might cause this? I'll be sick as a parrot if I fork out £1000 for a new one only to find it's made diddly squat difference.

Also, do any of you lovely people out there have a working stock controller, possibly one you don't need anymore 'cos you replaced it with one of those fancy blue numbers? If so, do you want a new best friend?

Cheers in advance for any advice/sympathy/charity that might be forthcoming

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had the exact same symptom on my 2006 R32. Initially tbe ESP light would stay on but go off if I cycled the ignition. Over a code of months it gradually got worse to the point the ESP light would not go off.

Sadly, it was a new Haldex Controller that fixed the problem for me.

Lucifer on here sometimes has some for sale and he can be trusted that he'll sell you a good one.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers for the advice lads, very much appreciated. I'm glad in a way that it does sound like the Haldex unit - at least now I can be reasonably comfortable that replacing it won't be wasted money.

I hadn't considered the idea of going for a full diff but would probably prefer dealing with a known quantity anyway so I'll PM Lucifer and hope

Ta!

*Edit* - If Lucifer doesn't have anything available, would something like this be what I should look out for auction-wise or must it come from a donor R32? The part # is mostly the same (mine's 1K0 of course and revision F as opposed to 0BR and revision A) but not sure if that makes enough of a difference.

Ta again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.