' Normal ' chain noise - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

' Normal ' chain noise

mk5

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds
Hi everyone,

as im sure some of you will of seen my wanted posts im on the lookout for a mk5 R32, now after going to look at one yesterday i wasnt happy with how the chain noise was when listening to the engine on tick over.

now ive searched the forum to see if i can find anything relating to what a healthy car should sound like, so what im wondering if someone could maybe link me or even video their own car on tick over of what it should sound like. the car i saw yesterday spec wise was perfect but imo the chain noise was way too loud and i dont want to buy a money pit.

thanks in advance for any videos/replies

Danny

MIQ

MIQ

King In The North

• Moderators
  • 13964 posts
  • LocationUK
They are noisy , when I hear that noise I know that it is an R32 before I see the car
  • -Nino- likes this

Fifth Gear .:R32 Review - Click Link

https://www.youtube....h?v=E0rrr1Emvjs

I can be rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me.

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield
Yeah don't get hung up on the chain noise mate. Get the chain measurements if you're really worried but I got too hung up on the noise when I was looking and for the mkv especially, there's no need. Its metal on metal so they all make some noise like marbles in a can.

kingswood

kingswood

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • LocationHull
im in hull if u wana come for a listen one day?!

i was the same when i bought mine. if theyve been measured and ok theres certainly nothing worth worrying about.
  • snr69 likes this

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds
hmmm ok maybe ive been a little over cautious, but still the car yesterday i wouldnt of bought because the dealer was just plain ignorant. but is it normal for you to hear the chain noise over the engine with the hood open?

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield
I can hear my chain noise over the engine while the engine is being revvd but I've had it all measured and it's -2 -2 which is normal

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield
Where abouts are you?

kingswood

kingswood

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • LocationHull
http://s846.photobuc...G_4070.mp4.html

this is mine

Edited by kingswood, 16 April 2016 - 05:58 PM.

MrPompey

MrPompey

• Members
  • 630 posts
Maybe take a pal with VAGCom. If you know you are going to get an R32 then VAGCOM is a great investment. I'm too far West and south to help

__arthouse

__arthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK / Byron Bay Australia
They should be a little noisier on start-up too, something i was unaware of when i was looking for one.

Basically, the chain tensioners/guides, are activated with engine oil pressure, so the chain tends to to be noisier before the oil pressure has risen and the tensioners/guides are doing their job. You want to listen out for that noise to drop, but as said, you can always hear them a bit

MIQ

MIQ

King In The North

• Moderators
  • 13964 posts
  • LocationUK

hmmm ok maybe ive been a little over cautious, but still the car yesterday i wouldnt of bought because the dealer was just plain ignorant. but is it normal for you to hear the chain noise over the engine with the hood open?

you can hear it with Bonnet closed and sat in the house when car is running outside
  • TheJam likes this

I can be rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me.

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

there's one of engine bay and exterior for both stretched and fresh chains on my YT profile
  • DannyZR likes this
STEEL GREY R32 MK5 // AAS EXHAUST // KW V1 // H&R SPACERS // H&R ARBs // BUILD THREAD

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Where abouts are you?

Guiseley mate near Leeds Bradford airport

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

there's one of engine bay and exterior for both stretched and fresh chains on my YT profile

That was seriously helpful

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield

Guiseley mate near Leeds Bradford airport

I'm in Elland near Halifax and Huddersfield if you wanted to meet up and listen to mine sometime

MIQ

MIQ

King In The North

• Moderators
  • 13964 posts
  • LocationUK

that's perfect , you wanna hear them at a meet on tick over lol

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

I'm in Elland near Halifax and Huddersfield if you wanted to meet up and listen to mine sometime

Yeah mate would really appreciate that

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

that's perfect , you wanna hear them at a meet on tick over lol

Really that bad lol

kingswood

kingswood

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • LocationHull
just had a listen myself. that noise is awful, sounded like a tractor!

theres a few of us in hull if you wanted to meet up halfway for a mini meet? maybe elvington airfield and see if we can sneak on!

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield

theres a few of us in hull if you wanted to meet up halfway for a mini meet? maybe elvington airfield and see if we can sneak on!

I'd be up for this!

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19348 posts
One other thing to note is that modern injectors make a distinct "tapping" noise which can make the engine sound more agricultural.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield

One other thing to note is that modern injectors make a distinct "tapping" noise which can make the engine sound more agricultural.

I didn't know this! Explains a lot though

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

I'd be up for this!

yeah id be up for it if wasnt working or anything, as long as your not going to make me park away from you becasue i dont have a golf yet ha

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

good to know, but i know what tappetts sound like from coming from the K S eries background ive heard some really bad ones lol

Jonneh

Jonneh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIlkley
I'm only in Ilkley lad so not far away. Can listen to my R36 if you wanted! Pretty much the same thing. Haha.

If you find anyone local with Vagcom who knows how to check the chain measurements let me know! I'm curious to know mine!
Passat R36 - Corrado VR6 - Mk2 Golf GTI 8V

discostu49

discostu49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Locationperth scotland
my chains are noisey but cars nit skipped a beat in 60k miles
Lava Grey Audi A3 3.2 V6 ( same engine and platform as the r32 mk5 ) Quattro, Sportback, Full Leather, S LINE, Factory tints, DSG, SAT NAV, BOSE Sounds, Upgraded rs4 18's, now with magnaflow race exhaust, Now with rs3 diffuser and eibach pro kit springs

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

I'm only in Ilkley lad so not far away. Can listen to my R36 if you wanted! Pretty much the same thing. Haha.

If you find anyone local with Vagcom who knows how to check the chain measurements let me know! I'm curious to know mine!

yeah mate definatley that would help mate, and i will speak to my mate see if he can do that

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

will have a listen when i get home from work mate thanks

DannyZR

DannyZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Just listened on my iPad and that does sound relatively quiet mate. Or my iPad is quiet lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.