VW Golf R32 Forum banner

' Normal ' chain noise

Tags
mk5
10K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  DannyZR 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

as im sure some of you will of seen my wanted posts im on the lookout for a mk5 R32, now after going to look at one yesterday i wasnt happy with how the chain noise was when listening to the engine on tick over.

now ive searched the forum to see if i can find anything relating to what a healthy car should sound like, so what im wondering if someone could maybe link me or even video their own car on tick over of what it should sound like. the car i saw yesterday spec wise was perfect but imo the chain noise was way too loud and i dont want to buy a money pit.

thanks in advance for any videos/replies

Danny

#3 ·
Yeah don't get hung up on the chain noise mate. Get the chain measurements if you're really worried but I got too hung up on the noise when I was looking and for the mkv especially, there's no need. Its metal on metal so they all make some noise like marbles in a can.

#10 ·
They should be a little noisier on start-up too, something i was unaware of when i was looking for one.

Basically, the chain tensioners/guides, are activated with engine oil pressure, so the chain tends to to be noisier before the oil pressure has risen and the tensioners/guides are doing their job. You want to listen out for that noise to drop, but as said, you can always hear them a bit

#11 ·
DannyZR said:
hmmm ok maybe ive been a little over cautious, but still the car yesterday i wouldnt of bought because the dealer was just plain ignorant. but is it normal for you to hear the chain noise over the engine with the hood open?
you can hear it with Bonnet closed and sat in the house when car is running outside

#16 ·
Goosie said:
https://youtu.be/LXbhd0irphw there's one of engine bay and exterior for both stretched and fresh chains on my YT profile
that's perfect , you wanna hear them at a meet on tick over lol

#21 ·
One other thing to note is that modern injectors make a distinct "tapping" noise which can make the engine sound more agricultural.

#25 ·
I'm only in Ilkley lad so not far away. Can listen to my R36 if you wanted! Pretty much the same thing. Haha.

If you find anyone local with Vagcom who knows how to check the chain measurements let me know! I'm curious to know mine!

#26 ·
my chains are noisey but cars nit skipped a beat in 60k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.