FlatLemon's Black MK5 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

FlatLemon's Black MK5

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

I thought it was about time I started a Build Thread as it seems the best way to keep track of all changes.

Bit of background...I was looking for a long time, but wish I had signed up to this forum during my search as I would have definitely wanted some of the extras that mine doesn't have (e.g. wingbacks, steering wheel controls..) but...no regrets.

I eventually purchased one from Jim Reid Vehicle Sales, based near Kintore in Aberdeenshire in January 2016. Big shout out to the salesman Andy for making the experience enjoyable (this included a test drive by myself!!). I managed to part ex my Seat Leon FR (10 plate) which was a big help. The main driver for switching cars was to move away from Diesel and get something with a bit more grunt, noise wise. Safe to say that the R32 does just that. ;)

I did nothing to the car for months as was just enjoying driving it and didn't see the need to change it. It's probably also worth noting that this was bought to be driven, there's so many great drives up in Scotland and a few of us even went and did the North Coast 500 in June time this year. The R32 was fantastic, especially in the corners. But...the more I read on here, and the more meets I started going to up here in Scotland...let's just say modifying is quite infectious...and addictive!

The first 'mod' I did was a stubby aerial as the stock one is ridiculously big, and was getting some stick off the other lads :lol: Probably one of the easiest changes to do, screw off old one and screw in the new one - done.

The next mod was new number plate light units - just a fresher look which I have done to all my previous cars. I also came across a comment on here stating to upgrade the reverse bulb light, to make it brighter, which I did at the same time.

Next on the list was some sort of exhaust system and after much reading I decided I wanted one of Lucifer's kits. I got lucky and a used back box, non res setup popped up for sale on Facebook - bought! Shout out to my mate Mike for fitting this - huge help :good: I've got to say that the sound from the car when you remove the stock kit is insane - I didn't want to put the new kit on :crazy: Anyway on with the Lucifer kit and it looked great, fills the diffuser/valance holes much better, and sounds more aggressive - exactly what I wanted.

Next mod was changing the standard 'Hazard Triangle Light/Switch' to a darker tinted one, as recommended on this forum - thanks for the tip! I found it a right pain to change with lots of swearing taking place but got there in the end.

The mods started to take place pretty quickly and I managed to get some H&R lowering springs from Usual Suspect - cheers mate. At the same time I managed to get a decat and downpipe set from Lucifer - cheers mate. Headed back to my mate Mike's again, and got my other mate Scott to come along as he has fitted many lowering spring kits etc. Brilliant help from them both and we managed to get the springs done in the morning and the decat/downpipes done in the afternoon. No real dramas but the bolts we needed to remove for the downpipes were a bit of a bastard to get to. I'm sure this would have been easier if the car was on a ramp.

I managed to get a Forge induction kit the same weekend - it was waiting for me when I got back on Saturday night - cheers to Bulmer92 :drinks: Managed to fit it on the Sunday morning, just before a meet and trip to Knockhill for the Paul Walker tribute.

I also finally got the paperwork through for my new reg :pardon:

So...that's the latest and I can't believe how much has been done over the last month. I don't think anything will change for a while now, my wallet is still hurting! haha.

Also, a big thank you for all the knowledge that resides in here.

Thanks for reading,

Martin

Edited by flatlemon, 17 October 2017 - 11:03 AM.

• filbro, Doro lDor, Jesseplops and 1 other like this

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2945 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Your getting there slowly mate..  :good: 
Keep it going!! ;)

• flatlemon likes this
<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19346 posts
Suits those wheels...
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Bulmer92

Bulmer92

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, Hampshire
Looking good mate :)! Love the new reg. That's the first I've heard of a darkened hazard switch..

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Thanks CupraBob. Planning to get them refurbed and potentially done in a darker colour. What do ya reckon?

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Cheers Craig! Check out Uli666's build thread - big thanks to him for some of the ideas! https://www.r32oc.com...tealth-project/

• Bulmer92 likes this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

I managed to buy an upgraded headunit (a copy) from eBay and fitted it this weekend. Unfortunately it didn't fit out of the box so I had to buy an adaptor which has thankfully solved the problem. The stereo looks a lot better, without removing the OEM feel in my opinion. It has also improved the sound quality, to my surprise. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the fact it doesn't seem to display the Radio station names etc.

Edited by flatlemon, 17 October 2017 - 10:58 AM.

franko180

franko180

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • LocationHaldex City

Looks good Mr Flat. The amount of times I've seen people fit MK4 aftermarket head units and they convince themselves they look OEM, but they just don't. The MK5 era aftermarket clone head units look the real deal.

• flatlemon likes this

gallery_3085_35978_7081.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Cheers Franko, the original just looks quite tacky with the silver buttons I feel, and quite dated now too.

MartinR32

MartinR32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Wow i bet your wallet hurts lol...

My Reg is R32 I SEE so similar setup mate.

Car looks mint keep it up.

• flatlemon likes this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts
Cheers Martin. The mods never end! Where can I see a pic of yours?

R32 wul

R32 wul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Yir car is looking good mate nice wee mods
  • flatlemon likes this

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3412 posts
excellent upgrades Martin
have you got a link from where you got your aerial from
  • flatlemon likes this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Cheers Wullie.

@Maxitrol - cheers mate. Yeah here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262475121260

FYI - I think it does look a lot better but I do wish it would sit more flush with the base unit.

R32 wul

R32 wul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Should have gone for the pressed metal number plates mate just done mine ther a wee different look 🏁🏁
  • flatlemon likes this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

About time I updated this. Biggest thing to have happened was a remap at SOS Motorsport. We managed to get it up to 269bhp - pretty happy with that but would have been nice to get into the seventies!

Hoping to get a couple more goodies fitted this weekend :yahoo:

• filbro and Bulmer92 like this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Quick update from the weekend. Managed to get some of the blue coil pack covers from Awesome on Black Friday (last set I believe!) but had to source tubing as they didn't have any left. Shoutout to Bulmer92 for pointing me in the direction of another owner who had some spare.

Edited by flatlemon, 17 October 2017 - 10:56 AM.

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKent
Nice r great thred, how much did you pay for the lucifer decat

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19346 posts

Nice r great thred, how much did you pay for the lucifer decat

Prices are on this thread.
https://www.r32oc.com...ats-or-de-cats/

Best to check directly with "Lucifer" if they are still valid.

Edited by cuprabob, 26 December 2016 - 10:59 AM.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKent

Prices are on this thread.

Best to check directly with "Lucifer" if they are still valid.

Thanks bob I was after the price for what flatlemon has as they are to fit original manifolds not to fit with lucifer so manifolds

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19346 posts

Thanks bob I was after the price for what flatlemon has as they are to fit original manifolds not to fit with lucifer so manifolds

Ok, check this thread out then.

AnDub

AnDub

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationLeicester/Leeds

What wheels are they?

Posted Image

.:R

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKent
Cheers bob

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19346 posts

What wheels are they?

I think they are RS6 wheels but they might be Leon wheels.

Edited by cuprabob, 26 December 2016 - 07:42 PM.

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts
Cheers cuprabob lol.

Decat and downpipes were 350 but best to check directly with Lucifer for latest prices.

I believe the wheels are Audi RS of some sort but they came with the car so haven't had them properly checked.

Killer93yo

Killer93yo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFinland

hows the soudn with decats and milltek non res? 

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts
Love it mate! It's a Lucifer non res :)

Killer93yo

Killer93yo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFinland

Love it mate! It's a Lucifer non res :)

any pops etc? sound clip? 

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts
Get a few farts every now and again. Will try and put one up at some point.
  • Saj_85 likes this

flatlemon

flatlemon

• Members
  • 585 posts

Haven't posted in a while. Have managed to change a few bits on the car...also in the Black Friday sale, I managed to get a Milltek Back Box - I had wanted that style of tips for a while and Awesome gave me a decent price which I bit the bullet on. Also loving the sound of it which seems to be a lot deeper.

A friend of mine, Matt, is getting his MK5 supercharged at the moment and was getting rid of some of his engine bay caps so I managed to snap some up.

Other changes have been new discs and pads all round - opted for Brembo but seem to be getting brake judder quite badly when they are being pushed hard. The OEM ones didn't perform like that so going to investigate over the next week or so.

I've also managed to source a powder coated rocker cover so just trying to get the courage up to fit that - hopefully before the Mega Meet.

Further changes to be made to the exhaust system (thanks Lucifer) in the next week or so. I'd also like to get the wheels refurbished as they are an absolute state.

Edited by flatlemon, 17 October 2017 - 10:54 AM.

• MJVR6 and filbro like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.