Bilstein B8 on original springs - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Bilstein B8 on original springs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

obomomomo

obomomomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing up my newly aquired Mk.5 R32 and one of the things on my mind is a new set of shocks. I'm keeping the original springs and height and would like a ride quality which is nice and firm but not harsh over broken/uneven tarmac. Not too far from original ride quality is my goal.

At the moment I'm thinking of going for a set of Billies mainly based on reputation. I read somewhere that Bilstein B6 are about 15% firmer than most OE dampers, and given that the R32 is 10-15% heavier than (say) a Mk5 GTi, I'm thinking it should be a good match (correct me if I'm wrong).

Chatting with my local Bilstein dealer, he told me that B6s and B8s have the exact same damping rates but I should go for B8s (slightly shorter shaft designed for lowered springs) rather than B6s (for standard springs) because the R32 in standard guise is an inch lower than most regular Mk.5s which the B6 was designed for. 

Thoughts and/or advice anyone? 

Edited by obomomomo, 04 January 2017 - 06:45 AM.

obomomomo

obomomomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Well anyway I've decided to order a set of B8 following the dealer's advice. Together with new engine mounts, lower arm bushes and ball joints, steering tie rods, ARB links and upgraded subframe bolts/spacer kit I hope to get a new feel and eliminate those annoying little clicks and clunks from the front end. Will get it done after the shocks arrive hopefully in a week or so and update. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKent
Let us know how the suspension is I'm probably going to put new one dampers on and h&r 30mm springs, What engine mounts are you getting I'm looking into mounts at the moment but and thing new rubber front lower mounts and the powerflex bushes

obomomomo

obomomomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Let us know how the suspension is I'm probably going to put new one dampers on and h&r 30mm springs, What engine mounts are you getting I'm looking into mounts at the moment but and thing new rubber front lower mounts and the powerflex bushes

Sure will.

I've purchased a set of front and back OEM damper mounts, steering rods and ARB links all awaiting to be fitted the arrival of the dampers. The engine mountings, lower arm bushes and ball joints have recently been changed with original VAG parts.

I've read in other forums that Billies have high internal gas pressure which can raise the stock suspension height slightly, I'm a bit concerned about that but  we shall see.. I'm satisfied with the ride height as it is but if it's raised more than 5-10mm then I may have to get a set of Eibachs or possibly H&R to compensate although I'd really prefer to keep things close to original.

Edited by obomomomo, 13 January 2017 - 06:57 AM.

CorradoR32

CorradoR32

• Members
  • 2204 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Drive a standard MK4 if you want to get an idea of the ride quality.  They came with H&Rs and B6/B8s from the factory.  It is pretty harsh on bad surfaces to be honest, because of the B6/B8s.  Monotubes aren't the best for ride quality on broken surfaces.

What they are exceptionally good at though is damping consistency and wheel control at high speed.  The car will feel significantly less floaty and more agile in the corners.  They're worth the compromise imo.

• obomomomo likes this
Did have: 94 Corrado R32
Now have: 2003 Golf R32
Posted Image

obomomomo

obomomomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Drive a standard MK4 if you want to get an idea of the ride quality.  They came with H&Rs and B6/B8s from the factory.  It is pretty harsh on bad surfaces to be honest, because of the B6/B8s.  Monotubes aren't the best for ride quality on broken surfaces.

What they are exceptionally good at though is damping consistency and wheel control at high speed.  The car will feel significantly less floaty and more agile in the corners.  They're worth the compromise imo.

Thanks, I think I can live with a ride quality similar to the Mk4's factory suspension. Hopefully the R32's added weight will offset some of the harshness while retaining most of the high speed precision that Bilstein are famous for. Still waiting for it to arrive so I'll just have to wait to find out. 

Edited by obomomomo, 16 January 2017 - 12:44 PM.

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationBeckenham
Very interested to hear on this one.

2008 Silver MK5 5 door Manual.
Forge CAI, Miltek/Lucifer Resonated Exhaust DP and SC's, H&R ARB's, Stealth Remap

obomomomo

obomomomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

The billies finally arrived and look great. The front struts do look a bit short but that may be an optical illusion due to the thickness of the piston shaft. I'll compare side by side with the OE shocks once I get them fitted next week and go on from there. .Attached File  20170118_103347.jpg   88.82KB   4 downloads Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

[edit]: A side note:

Pushing in with all my weight the range of movement on the front strut is a mere 80mm or a little over 3" before it hit the internal rubber bumpstop. Bumpstop compression should allow for a little more movement and I assume in dymamic conditions gas piston compression will play a significant role too.   

Edited by obomomomo, 18 January 2017 - 06:05 AM.

MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V

• Members
  • 1064 posts

Aye they are shorter by a inch or more 

I have some old mk4 ones I got from Paul W I stripped just to see how the go together 

DDA_R32

DDA_R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know this is an old post, but how did everything go with this set up? I am looking at doing the same as advised by bilstein themselves, using the b8's with the stock springs...

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationBeckenham
I did B4 shocks with std springs and it was horrible.

Went for the VWR kit in the end and it was brilliant, does lower 15mm but I never had any rubbing or sump clearance issue and I live in speed hump central SE London.

The ride was great and I also had poly front axle and H&R ARB's.

2008 Silver MK5 5 door Manual.
Forge CAI, Miltek/Lucifer Resonated Exhaust DP and SC's, H&R ARB's, Stealth Remap

DDA_R32

DDA_R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's my only concern is the potential rubbing that's why I wanted to stay standard... Are the B4s the same length as the B8's? I know the B8's are shorter than the B6's so just want to judge really with the B4's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.