Whistling Sound from HPA DTM Kit?? - Forced Induction - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Whistling Sound from HPA DTM Kit??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

The_Bailiff

The_Bailiff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJersey C.I

New to the forum have a mk4 r32 HPA DTM kit just installed, car is driving great except for a whistling noise that I'm unable to identify. Checked the hoses for an air leak, removed the air filter and MAF and the noise it STILL there. No error codes. Makes me think it must be coming from the EFR 7670 turbo. 

Contacted HPA and they say this is not a normal sound but they're unable to give any useful suggestions for a fix. If anyone can offer any ideas it would be much appreciated! 

Video - https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by The_Bailiff, 02 December 2017 - 07:36 PM.

• Doro lDor likes this

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Copenhagen S
That is a very strange sound.
Not many components when it’s a DTM kit. Check vacuum hose from manifold to diverter valve and from compressor housing to actuator (wastegate). If all ok, maybe a leaking diverter valve?
My mk4 .:R32 turbo build https://www.r32oc.com...tion-r32-turbo/

jameswalker

jameswalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationReading

To me it sounds more like a squeal rather than a whistle. Is that just the video? Are you sure its an air whistle sound? If its a squeal, could be anything rotating. 

The_Bailiff

The_Bailiff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJersey C.I

I've checked all the hoses and found no leaks.

When I remove the air filter I can clearly hear the whistle is coming up through the MAF. The only thing I can think of is to try putting the standard air box on to see if that dampens the sound. Any further ideas would be much appreciated.

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon
It deffo sounds like a pulley of some sort. Something is deffo has movement.

Mj
<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

DougalR

DougalR

South East Organiser

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 6820 posts
  • LocationKent, near Canterbury

Id have a look at the Changeover valve on the front of your Manifold. if where a rotating noise i'd imagine it do it all the time. 

then maybe the Recirc valve is opening closing to slow maybe. or sticking

May the boost be with you

.:Rotrex powered sleeper...well sort of.... :)
You can only plan so far.....After that, well you have to take a few leaps of faith.......

The_Bailiff

The_Bailiff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJersey C.I

Smoke test this week and will get up on the ramp to have a listen. 

Thanks for letting me know, I'll def check the valves and report back. 

• DougalR and Lucifer like this

The_Bailiff

The_Bailiff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationJersey C.I

After talking with techs at HPA it turns out the noise is caused by the recirc valve on the turbo. I replaced the cone filter with the original air box/cold air pipe and the noise is much less noticeable. Thanks for your comments hopefully this will help anyone with a similar problem. 

• MJVR6 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.