Front mount intercooler - size matters! - Forced Induction - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Front mount intercooler - size matters!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Morning all,

Back to the drawing board again but this time weighing up my options in terms of front mount intercoolers. What’s the biggest intercooler that you’ve got fitted to a mk4 whilst being able to refit the bumper without too much hassle? Don’t mind shaving the inside of the bumper but externally I want it still in one piece. Similarly crash bar alterations not an issue.

I’ve been offered a custom solution by a big name brand but thought surely it’s something that’s been considered before. I did have a quick google but that was inconclusive. I’ve got a few days to mull it over so any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

I did originally think about air to water charge cooling but that’s not for me. Trying to keep things simple for now and I’d rather not plumb in a separate reservoir system for a charge cooler.

Cheers.

Edited by IMG, 15 April 2018 - 09:33 AM.

• Sharrivat likes this

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7307 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

Front bumper in one piece and fits like a glove, just some minor modification to the bumper needed :)

r4RV9YL.jpg

• jannerboy likes this

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Front bumper in one piece and fits like a glove, just some minor modification to the bumper needed :)

Also ideal for grilling burgers or your latest road kill after a full throttle run. Ideally an intercooler that doesn’t require the external skin to be sliced and diced. Or look like the R32 version of Hannibal Lecter.

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Copenhagen S
It depends on how much your willing to cut up your bumper inside, and radiator support. I have a Threadstone TR1245 sitting behind my bumper and it’s a pretty big unit. Nothing like the one Lucifer has, but still good for 1000hp. Here’s a picture with and without bumper. It requires a good amount of modifications to radiator support and a little cutting to bumper inside.

Attached Files

• Matty.vrt likes this
My mk4 .:R32 turbo build https://www.r32oc.com...tion-r32-turbo/

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

It depends on how much your willing to cut up your bumper inside, and radiator support. I have a Threadstone TR1245 sitting behind my bumper and it’s a pretty big unit. Nothing like the one Lucifer has, but still good for 1000hp. Here’s a picture with and without bumper. It requires a good amount of modifications to radiator support and a little cutting to bumper inside.

Thanks, pictures are especially useful. Inside of my bumper has already been butchered to fit my current cooler so happy to have it cut up more if need be. Does look like a beefy option though.

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Copenhagen S
I might need to point out that I removed the AC, and I don’t think this cooler will fit if you have AC. But Threadstone makes a cooler same size as mine but not as thick, which will give the room needed, and still be able to support 800hp
My mk4 .:R32 turbo build https://www.r32oc.com...tion-r32-turbo/

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

I might need to point out that I removed the AC, and I don’t think this cooler will fit if you have AC. But Threadstone makes a cooler same size as mine but not as thick, which will give the room needed, and still be able to support 800hp

Ah, I should’ve said. I want to retain all the creature comforts, so the AC system would still need to fit. I’m currently knee deep in reading about intercoolers learning about the best compromise between height, width, thickness and surface area. Thanks again 👍🏻

P70CYA

P70CYA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ah, I should’ve said. I want to retain all the creature comforts, so the AC system would still need to fit. I’m currently knee deep in reading about intercoolers learning about the best compromise between height, width, thickness and surface area. Thanks again

Whats your current setup like & how much power you aiming for in the long run?

MTM R32 Turbo 

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Ah, I should’ve said. I want to retain all the creature comforts, so the AC system would still need to fit. I’m currently knee deep in reading about intercoolers learning about the best compromise between height, width, thickness and surface area. Thanks again

Whats your current setup like & how much power you aiming for in the long run?

Have removed my current set up completely and putting together a new kit. Power wise 600ish but I want sufficient headroom. Especially with the intercooler, if I head into Europe in the summer I don’t want to be fighting heat soak.

P70CYA

P70CYA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLondon
You shouldn't find it too difficult to get a core size efficient enough to run that sorta power to fit behind the front bumper.

I was in the same situation as you aiming for the 500 mark but over engineered it to future proof it, but the mk5 has more room to play wi5h from what I've seen.
If your concerned bout heat soak during the summer months then just run a meth kit 50/50 mix and that'll be plenty enough to keep intake temps down!!!
I'll post a pic of my IC setup later

MTM R32 Turbo 

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

You shouldn't find it too difficult to get a core size efficient enough to run that sorta power to fit behind the front bumper.
I was in the same situation as you aiming for the 500 mark but over engineered it to future proof it, but the mk5 has more room to play wi5h from what I've seen.
If your concerned bout heat soak during the summer months then just run a meth kit 50/50 mix and that'll be plenty enough to keep intake temps down!!!
I'll post a pic of my IC setup later

Yeah it’s just finding what fits. Was hoping to see what other people were using then I’ll be able to make more of an educated guess as to what will fit. Swerving meth injection for now, rather see if I can get what I want power wise whilst keeping it as simple as possible.

R32_RYAN

R32_RYAN

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationKent
Maybe give Andy or the boys at storm a call they have produced some big power vr6s and know what works and fits.

I have the forge 8V RS3 cooler waiting to go on mine soon altho mine is mk5 and like abz said above, think we may have more room cud be a thought tho
  • IMG and P70CYA like this

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7307 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

You can have the biggest FMIC in the world fitted if you want but if it is hidden behind a front bumper with no air flow it is pointless really. 

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

You can have the biggest FMIC in the world fitted if you want but if it is hidden behind a front bumper with no air flow it is pointless really. 

To a certain degree yeah, it’s about having a core with an efficient design for your specific application. Also have to consider the Venturi effect the lower centre grill opening will have. All fun and games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.