Mk4 2.8 gt30 - Forced Induction - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk4 2.8 gt30

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I’m going to stick a 2.8 v6 with a gt30 into my s3 8l I have a few questions I know if I was redoing the 1.8t engine what to go with but I’m not sure what products are best for the v6

What rods are best I’m guessing riffle drilled?

What compression gasket ratio when turboing a major car?
Does the head need uprating I know on the 1.8t at this power valves and springs would need up rating
Which exhaust manifold to go for and what size intercooler is adequate

Are the turbo kits any good fitment wise or is it best to source own parts and build your own

Sorry for all the questions but once started I can bet there will be more
  • Sharrivat likes this

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Copenhagen S
What sort of power are you looking for? A GT30 won’t make enough power to bend rods, so just do the bearings and arp bolts.
Go for 8.5:1 compression.
Head work? Again depends on how much power you want to make. The head will flow the power a GT30 will make.
To answer the last questions, I’ll need to know how much money your willing to spend
My mk4 .:R32 turbo build https://www.r32oc.com...tion-r32-turbo/

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
A gt30 should do around 500bhp I’d be happy with 480+ and the rods can handle that? I thought they would all be same material across the models, I know in the 1.8t it’s advised to do rods over 300bhp
Again I don’t know these engines as much as the 1.8t in that you have to update the springs as the power can hold the valves open

Are the cast manifold any good? Do you need to port them out a bit so they flow better?

Budget wise non set yet but I’m realistic that it ain’t cheap

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
You’ll need a gt35 to hit 500, and yes the rods will hold 500hp if build and mapped correctly. You can’t compare this to the 1.8T engine... nothing is the same.
You’ll need a turbo manifold or build a ram horn for the stock manifolds, both solutions can handle 500hp if build/chosen correctly. Intake manifold is plastic, and will also handle 500hp.
  • franko180 likes this

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

You’ll need a gt35 to hit 500, and yes the rods will hold 500hp if build and mapped correctly. You can’t compare this to the 1.8T engine... nothing is the same.
You’ll need a turbo manifold or build a ram horn for the stock manifolds, both solutions can handle 500hp if build/chosen correctly. Intake manifold is plastic, and will also handle 500hp.

What will a gt30 get on one of these as I know it can hit 500 on the 1.8t so thought it would on a 2.8

Are these manifolds ok
http://pagparts.com/...products_id=580

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
The pagparts manifold is a very good cast manifold. And it has a T4 inlet which is good for the large engine. But you won’t fit a GT30 to a T4. You need a GT35.
GT30 will make 400-450hp

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok cheers

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Are the Laurent motors stage 3 turbo kits any good?

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
What boost control are people using manual or electronic? Can the n75 valve from vw/audi models be used? I would rather have electronic so the ecu can see what’s happening

MOOMO96

MOOMO96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

you picking up the parts will be much cheaper I can help if needed 

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Yeah I’ve been thinking that there’s a few bits that I will struggle with like the oil and water lines for turbo , so may take you up on that, will have the engine in October once back from holiday but I think I might get the 3.2 engine as they seem to come up more often as a kit with engine loom and ecu

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Realistically would a 3.2 give much more bhp than the 2.8 when turbo’d and would the 3.2 sound much better? I’m not sure which to go for I’ve read the 2.8 block is stronger as more metal between the bores but if power and that v6 roar is going to lot different I’d rather go 3.2
Either way it’s going to sound better than a 1.8t

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Yes the 3.2 engine will give a good amount of hp more than the 2.8 as the head flows a lot more.
2.8 is stronger in theory, but there’s people out there making +1000hp on a 3.2 engine block so I think your in the safe zone on either. If your power goal is still 480hp.
Sound and power will be different between 2.8 and 3.2, but both can do 480hp and both sound a million times better than a 1.8T
  • Tj0785 likes this

MOOMO96

MOOMO96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

sorry I am off the topic .. anyone own a R32T , I bought IAT sensor but I dont know what wires to remove from the MAF to the sensor its self any help please 

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Yes the 3.2 engine will give a good amount of hp more than the 2.8 as the head flows a lot more.
2.8 is stronger in theory, but there’s people out there making +1000hp on a 3.2 engine block so I think your in the safe zone on either. If your power goal is still 480hp.
Sound and power will be different between 2.8 and 3.2, but both can do 480hp and both sound a million times better than a 1.8T

The sound is why I’m doing the swap
What boost controller do you recommend
And for the oil feed and return would you use this
http://vr6parts.com/...oilhousing.html

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

if i remember right its pin 1 (temp) and pin 3 (ground) might be worth double checking that though.

Do not cut the ground wire as it’s also the ground wire for the maf. Only cut the signal wire and splice into the ground wire
  • MOOMO96 likes this

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

I use Turbosmarts e-boost street it’s very simple and keeps boost very stable.
No I would mount manifold and turbo and measure how long the oil lines need to be, and then have them made to length. Are you building a forged buttom end or lowering compression on stock engine with a head spacer?

Il be lowering compression and look at forging the bottom end later down the line. There’s no hoses supplied with what’s in the link it’s for supplying the oil feed the hoses will have to be measured 1st as you say

MOOMO96

MOOMO96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

basically making the ground wire  to faces one for the maf other to the IAT ..?

mate I just bought a kit f for the oil feed and drain for the R32 mk5 or mk4 will work for both 

oil feed is 48 or 53 inches

oil drain 18 inches

I dont think using oil filter spacer for the feed is good idea, just put a T where the oil sensor is and its done (near the oil filter housing) 

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok cheers

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Change of plan slightly will be using a 3.2 engine and a gt35 , will be changing rods but do pistons have to be changed or can I still use a decompression plate/gasket ? Also what head work is a must for over 500 bhp and when using a 3” downpipe do you still fit both banks of lambda sensors or code out one set?

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Change of plan slightly will be using a 3.2 engine and a gt35 , will be changing rods but do pistons have to be changed or can I still use a decompression plate/gasket ? Also what head work is a must for over 500 bhp and when using a 3” downpipe do you still fit both banks of lambda sensors or code out one set?

Stock pistons with a headspacer will work fine. I made 721hp with stock pistons and a spacer. No head work is required for 500hp. About the lambdas, ask whoever is going to tune it. It can be done both ways

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
What power level do I need to start thing of doing the head rebuild

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

What power level do I need to start thing of doing the head rebuild
What’s your turbo set up ?

I don’t know the limit of stock head, but it will flow a lot!
I broke the crank (cast mk5 crank) with 721hp and stock head. So the depending on your engine, you might need forged mk4 crank before you need head work.
I have a Garrett GTX3584RS in twin scroll 1.06 housing on a turbular twin scroll manifold, p-motorsport intake mani, 3” ic piping, Threadstone 1000hp intercooler, full 3,5” exhaust and dual turbosmart 45mm wastegates.

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
What conrods do you guys recommend ideally a riffle drilled ones, I or h beam

Lionborg

Lionborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
If you are still doing a 500hp build, stick with stock rods, if you are aiming for above 600hp go with a h-beam, any make or model will do, k1, arias, eagle, fcp, ie, and so on. They will hold at least 800hp. For more than 1000hp, buy X-beam Pauter or FCP

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Cheers I’d like to be around the 500-600 mark my thinking is to do the rods while the engines out and the timing chain and spacer plate getting done I might aswell do them in case I want to up the power levels without having to open the engine up again but if it’s not needed it’s money that can be spent elsewhere

Edited by Tj0785, 28 September 2018 - 01:37 PM.

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Have people had any issues using rods that aren’t riffle drilled?

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7307 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

Nope 

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok that’ll save me a few hundred quid seems be common practice on the 1.8t to use riffle drilled rods otherwise they tend to have noisey bottom end

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
What about the exhaust manifold which is best are the cast ones off eBay any good or are they restrictive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.