2008 R32 DPB DSG - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

2008 R32 DPB DSG

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Hello all, new member and first time R32 owner, having lusted after one for a considerable amount of time.  

fSYcuJB.jpg

Previously I was heavily into the VAG scene for years, particularly MK1 & 2 Golfs, owning a very nice Golf Rallye at one point before the prices sky rocketed.  Other cars included Z4 3.0, S4 Avant (the V8) & an E46 M3.  More recently I have taken a huge shine to the Audi A2, from an engineering point of view it's a very interesting little car and what was my daily will now become a garage queen while I work to make it a concours example.

31825690628_dd4f943e5d_b.jpg

I know what you're thinking... this is a little backwards.  Spending upwards of 60 hours in a car each month commuting etc I've decided I'd really like to enjoy the time I spend in the car and so far I feel like the R32 is perfect for these needs.  I still intend to use the A2 a bit when the weather allows, to help spread the mileage around a bit.

So, onto the car:

Deep Pearl Blue (It's the colour I think of when I imagine a R32)

DSG

5 door (I'm getting old, it's just more practical!)

Wingback Recaro seats (Heated)

RNS510

Armrest

Rear PDC

Folding mirrors

Auto lights etc

It is only missing one crucial ingredient for me, Cruise Control.  More on that in a minute.

Initially I've not done much, a bit of a clean, exhaust tips and engine bay needed a bit of attention to bring them up to scratch, although I tend to do a bit more on the detailing side since I like my cars clean and well presented.

nrHDpfd.jpg

Before

17AvsEn.jpg

After, not perfect but a good deal better

3HQtSQu.jpg?1

Before

j6ehyib.jpg

After

I've also retrofitted Cruise Control, although it is yet to be enabled via VCDS, I'm just awaiting a neighbor of mine to borrow a friends laptop to sort the coding.  The whole fitting process was made very easy by following this video:

Next plans are ordering a few more detailing supplies, including a pressure washer so I can start the full detailing process then it will be onto retro-fitting Bluetooth to the RNS510, a wheel refurb and new center caps so they're looking perfect.  After that, I'm starting to seriously consider a Miltek/Lucifer exhaust to let the R32 sing a bit more with a Forge/GruppeM intake to compliment it.  i'm not 100% on this yet as I do like my cars stock/OEM+ so the MK6 reversing camera has also piqued my interest...

If you've read this far well done biggrin.gif

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19271 posts
Welcome to the forum.
  • Muska likes this
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

naturalaspirations

naturalaspirations

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I don’t recall seeing many elec folding mirrors when I was (heavily) searching for my Mk5 - fair play!

Ps lovely car and enjoy.
  • Muska likes this

asadb2a

asadb2a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Looks mint from the outside, welcome to the forum.

• Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome so far smile.gif

While browsing the DVLA number plate site I found a plate I liked, so I purchased it.  Just awaiting the paperwork before I can pop it on the car.

ruE5ggj.png?1

I have also bought a whole host of detailing equipment, pressure washer, snow foam lance etc etc which all being well with the weather tomorrow I'll be giving a thorough clean, get rid of the Sahara that's parked itself on my car shok.gif  along with a few new shots to show it off smile.png

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3248 posts

welcome to the forum and your car looks excellent mate.if your doing the oem upgrade blue tooth get the polar bt box that brings the phone box menu into the clocks

https://www.autopola...r-bt-bluetooth/

• Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks Andy, I'm hoping I can get it looking as clean as yours in the near future :)

Thank you for the Bluetooth link, is that the unit that will also do A2DP streaming from a phone? I'm a little confused with the modules available as ideally I'd like that feature and linking with the dash display.

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3248 posts
Thank you for the kind comments my car is getting there now..
This is the same bluetooth module I have

Screenshot-20190427-232634-Chrome.jpgcompass bank branch locations
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Thanks again Andy, both are bookmarked for the (near) future smile.gif

So, today's day of detailing got off to a rocky start when the brand new pressure washer (Nilfisk C120) died after all of 10 seconds use!  I thought it might just be a fuse but alas it was most definitely done.  Good old Amazon Prime though, the replacement is coming tomorrow and I have 30 days to return the broken one, at no cost to me. smile.gif

Luckily, the Hozelock hose I had bought had a twist grip hose adapter so all was not lost and I could still crack on, just minus covering the drive/house/car in snow foam!

Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner - you can see the chemical reaction with the crud that's on your wheels and it really shifted some well set in grime in the barrels.

Full 2 bucket wash, dry, followed by Bilt Hamber clay.

Sonax spray wax - to save a little time today, I'll do a full polish/wax another day.

Meguiars Endurance tyre gel - amazing stuff

Aerospace 303 on all black trims, including the engine bay, after agitating with Meguiars APC.

No pics during, but took a couple afterwards

46806839075_52b698b413_b.jpg

33846122248_80505e6042_b.jpg

46806837425_0840b1e56b_b.jpg

46806836885_5c81100bb0_b.jpg

40756862753_33769a6bb9_b.jpg

The exhaust still needs more work...

46806835375_fb542a55cc_b.jpg

The wheels are not quite as good as they appear in these images, and the refurb has moved up my list of priorities.

40756860503_27458b812b_b.jpg

46806834055_2f79077f71_b.jpg

46806833355_50604a0f19_b.jpg

After I've got some polish and wax on properly, the interior & leather is getting the same attention.

40756857643_1cd6eb4b44_b.jpg

33846113618_e5138f3046_b.jpg

40756854993_b48885d8a8_b.jpg

As satisfying as it is to give the car it's first good clean, it's bitter sweet as you also find every mark, paint chip and bit you're not happy with!  The wheels, in particular the barrels really let the rims/car down.

Apologies for the picture dump, I hope like me you enjoy then :)

Next will be coding the Cruise Stalk I fitted in the coming few days & probably a tad more cleaning! 

• McPikie likes this

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3248 posts

loads amazing mate--The first wash is always the worst as you pick up things you never noticied and we are our worst own criticssorry.gif

• Muska likes this

naturalaspirations

naturalaspirations

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Looks as good as new 😍
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

47966460393_8a987f49e8_b.jpg

Big clean, same process as last time except a full polish with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish topped with Collinite 915 wax, Auto Glym Fast Glass and just to try out a new product topped it all with some Meguiar's Ceramix Hybrid Wax.

While the cleaning was taking place I updated the RNS 510 firmware and maps to the latest version

47966440302_d125e1db87_b.jpg

Got hold of a cabin filter and aircon bomb to get rid of that aircon smell you get when switching it on, no pictures of this but a very quick filter to change and the difference is instantly noticeable.

Also set to work tackling the shiny topped steering wheel

47966493456_898fc21039_b.jpg

With these

47966438087_dc321f0157_b.jpg

After a good clean I'm on the second conditioner coating, one more to do tomorrow (the bottle recommends 3 in 48 hours)  it takes hours to soak in but the difference is noticeable already.  Seats will be treated the same way in due course.

Next on the cards is definitely a wheel refurbishment, they're a real bug bear at the minute.  I'm hoping to get the car on axle stands while they're being done to do some proper arch detailing and possibly touch up the caliper paint if it needs it.

Wastegate86

Wastegate86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire
Some great photos there!
  • Muska likes this

43409513284_4c3fd5e184_n.jpg

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Not posted in a while but I've been resisting any modifications and just continuing with the cleaning so far, which is somewhat of a passion/obsession this time of year!

Here it is post full winter waxing with Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax.  Really good for the money and a little easier to apply and remove than something a little more high end like Collinite.  I fancy purchasing and trying something from Zymol this year.

49310506762_0a01e0eb6f_c.jpg

• Markos and Perksy like this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Long time no post, plenty has been happening.

49568602053_f718363377_c.jpg

After much discussion here about the correct part number for OEM Sachs shocks I had new front & rear OEM shocks fitted with H&R lowering springs.  At the same time I had quite a few other bits taken care of and a very comprehensive service:

New drop links

Bearings

Top Mounts

Lower Arms

Bump tops

Dust covers

Service:

Oil

DSG Oil

Haldex Oil

All Filters

New spark plugs

A slight play in the steering rack was identified & post lock down I'll be investigating replacement/refurbishment.  I believe this was quite a common thing with MK5's?

Recently I ceramic coated the car with Gyeon CanCoat (2 coats) a great product and in my never ending saga of adding more detailing products to the collection I bought 'High Gloss' from Polish Angel (£45 for 200ml!) as it gets such rave reviews on detailing world.  Designed to be a coating topper it has a high titanium content and really helps boost the gloss and flake in the metal.  I am very happy with the results, I've never seen the gloss and metal flake pop so much.

49734103766_f8cc71620e_c.jpg

49735735262_f9159d84cf_c.jpg

Beading is pretty tight too

49746417183_098d6883e3_c.jpg

I'm a key worker (Emergency Services) so I still commute to work but on my down time I'm enjoying spending a bit more quality time cleaning the car while waiting for the world to return to normality.

This bank holiday weekend, I split the grills from my front bumper, APC cleaned everything, dressed all plastics with CarPro Perl, used some Autosol metal polish where a little oxidization was creeping in by the side grills on the chrome section.  All chrome badges etc were polished and the grill was coated with Cancoat.  The painted bodywork berhind the bumper was APC'd, polished, IPA'd and ceramic coated.

49760650602_f8d195e76b_c.jpg

49759800103_76050ac017_c.jpg

49760650122_b2691257df_c.jpg

49759800008_e3ba4cbffa_c.jpg

49759800178_54ceb7397e_c.jpg

The side grills are two part, I split them, APC'd and coated all over with CarPro Perl.

49759799863_2e590c4f8c_c.jpg

Coated left, uncoated right.

49760328881_d05b488c6c_c.jpg

Grill ready to fit

49760407481_1abdf88292_c.jpg

49759800338_9a6c6ee1ee_c.jpg

49759800363_ce55d4f25b_c.jpg

I then removed the tatty sound deadening from under the bonnet, cleaned the area, IPA'd and applied two layers of ceramic coating followed by a coat of High Gloss.  Very impressed with hte results, I wish I had done it ages ago!

49760650482_9bd1fbd32a_c.jpg

If the world wasn't in lock down I would have been having the wheels refurbished at the minute, OEM, including the diamond cut edge and looking at refreshing the standard brakes.  As my plans have changed a little I'm now looking into Porsche 18z calipers & associated parts to compliment.  Either way, brakes and wheels are next (along with the steering rack) then probably some paint late in the year.

• daveyboy likes this

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3248 posts
Brilliant write up and the car looks stunning
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks Andy

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

And the pictures are just MINT mate!!! Do you mind if I ask what camera do you use (must be some kinda dslr?).

Also blown away with the car! Perfect OEM example! Just keep it like that! good.gif

• Muska likes this

IG: @illegal.R32 // My mk5 R32 build thread // ETKA online // DM me for full version of ElsaWin

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

The first lot were with a DSLR with a relatively cheap Sigma 70-200, everything else was with a good old camera phone!

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Not much by way of an update but I just changed the front and rear wiper blades for new Bosch items.  Ordered from wiperblades.co.uk and the arrived in 2 days, £26 delivered I think for front and rear.

I'm itching to get the wheels refurbished and since reading ILLEGALR32's write up on rebuilding his calipers I would love to do something similar to mine and have them powder coated in the OEM colour.

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Bosch wiper blades really works the best in my opinion. They are worth the money :)

If you getting your calliper rebuild/repaint, make sure you get them sand blasted (if you have any companies that do it nearby - you will spare your time not rubbing old paint off and it will cost you the same money at the end). Powder coating them would be the best way to paint them and keep them looking good for longer period of time :) And the OEM blue is perfect good.gif 

• Muska likes this

IG: @illegal.R32 // My mk5 R32 build thread // ETKA online // DM me for full version of ElsaWin

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
OK, now I sooooo need one of those aerials 😎

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

That's just the OEM I believe 

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Itching to press on a bit I've purchased some OEM front Discs & EBC Yellow stuff pads.

I would really like to give the front calipers a freshen up at the same time so I've purchased some RAL 5002 paint but I'll also be looking into having them powder coated in this colour, if somewhere is open and able to do so. 

Pics as and when things arrive biggrin.gif

In the interim i'll be removing all the window tints from the car.  Never been a huge fan of the look externally and it kind of hides the nice wingbacks from view.

Edited by Muska, 06 May 2020 - 12:38 PM.

• illegalr32 likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

49912397103_1b75bf5b2a_c.jpg

Got all the parts I'm waiting for now, apart from the paint for the calipers...

Brand new OEM discs, I've painted the hubs to hopefully stop them rusting as they seem to do.  EBC Yellowstuff pads, new OEM dust covers, new pad clips, new mounting bolts for the caliper carriers.  Just waiting on some RAL 5002 Ultramarine Blue for the calipers, they're all cleaned and keyed ready to go!

• daveyboy likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Been busy today once the paint turned up...

49917694707_7b4e9643d2_c.jpg

Really like this stuff, went on lovely and superb colour match.

49917394471_5870255a6d_c.jpg

Everything cleaned, keyed and masked up

49917707397_917d593145_c.jpg

First coat on and already looking good

49916880558_dd80dc9be1_c.jpg

Between coats I went out to start putting it back together, decided to give the new dust guards a ceramic coating to help keep them clean and fresh.

49917395776_786bbc3b0c_c.jpg

Starting to take shape.  I've already fully decontaminated the arch liners, iron & tar and dressed them (well, the drivers side so far) with CarPro PERL (Love this stuff for trim & tyre dressing)

49917397656_220c61b391_c.jpg

unfortunately, at this point I managed to shear the head off the locating bolt for the brake disc fool.gif

Amazon prime to the rescue and tomorrow hopefully it will be a quick job using a stud extraction tool that coming.

49917698487_32dfd88a17_c.jpg

Decided to crack on with rebuilding the other side

49917701142_ae99c8dd6b_c.jpg

49916888503_3cca0459c1_c.jpg

All finished and torqued up to spec dirol.gif  (arch liner not done this side yet)

Really pleased for the little bit of effort it's taken me.  I might replace the arch liners in the near future, just so they're brand new and protected form day one.  Next however, is the wheel refurbishment I've been threatening!  Hopefully in the next two weeks if I can time it right with my shifts.

Thanks for reading.

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
This is what I call it a perfect done job!
Love your inputs with making everything clean, shinny and looking like new!

About that little tiny bastard screw! Ah! I've destroyed 2 on my R32 while changing brakes but luckily sorted them out with a lot of anger and a metal cutter. They are pain in the ass everytime

Sorting out rear brakes aswell?
  • Muska likes this

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I took all my arches out last weekend, ended up using 'brush cleaner' and wearing my fingers to the bone to get rid of the tar buildup. Still it looks lovely now.

Oh, and the amount of buildup behind the rear carpet covers was incredible.
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks, the wheel refurb is definitely next on my list then onto rear brakes. From looking into it I will probably fully replace the rear calipers with new units, I don’t think they’re very expensive.

Thanks for the heads up about cleaning behind the arch liners, I’m sure I’m in for a treat!

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

As far as I am concerned, rear calipers are pretty expensive mega_shok.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.