2008 R32 DPB DSG - Page 2 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

2008 R32 DPB DSG

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Bigdeak

Bigdeak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Super clean 😍
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Cheers dude, getting there slowly.

49987361491_5c14975d01_c.jpg

No... I haven't gone crazy, these are temporary wheels supplied by the place that are currently refurbishing my Omanyt's back to OEM, including the machined lip.  At least they fill the arches a bit!

49987361536_e31f86596b_c.jpg

To compliment the fresh wheels, I've ordered a set of brand new centre caps from VW (£160!!), some Forge 11mm front & 13mm rear spacers with longer bolts from AwesomeGTi.  The wheels will be coming straight back off at the weekend to be ceramic coated, more pictures to come then :)

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Just been to collect my Omanyt wheels.  I'm over the moon with how they've come out!  New center caps fitted and the spacers will go on when the wheels come off for ceramic coating.

50008954757_dc439f3dd0_c.jpg

50008693636_d79ce6120d_c.jpg

50008693681_21cd501b47_c.jpg

I had quite a chat with the place doing the refurbishing prior to starting the work around the machined lip. My expectations were addressed as we chatted that the machined lip creates a sort of 'U' shape ast the end of the spoke and it would be really hard to get that perfect, as they come from the factory.  I decided to let them do the best job they could and I'm not disappointed at all. They've come out fantastic and the machined lip really adds to the look for me :)

50008161713_bb79401b2a_c.jpg 

• illegalr32 likes this

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Awesome!

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Not much to report, cleaning, cleaning & you guessed it, more cleaning!  I love trying new products, the latest being Polish Angel PTFE Supersport wheel coating & Swissvax Pneu tyre dressing.

Just some pictures I've taken recently:

50129299836_77280049e7_c.jpg

50128734498_8a2d581b6e_c.jpg

50100830868_5b9983f35a_c.jpg

50101413301_9cb1f0d96f_c.jpg

50101413846_76710c366b_c.jpg

50100831638_59105b6732_c.jpg

I'm seriously considering a set of Valeo rear lights after seeing Essen's car.  Do they count as OEM+?

I'm also gathering the parts for a complete rear brake overhaul, new calipers & carriers along with the other bits.

Seriously looking forward to a show now, it's been far too long!

• daveyboy likes this

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
[quote name="Muska" post="2690228" timestamp="1595169291"]

Not much to report, cleaning, cleaning & you guessed it, more cleaning! I love trying new products, the latest being Polish Angel PTFE Supersport wheel coating & Swissvax Pneu tyre dressing.

Just some pictures I've taken recently:
50129299836_77280049e7_c.jpg

50128734498_8a2d581b6e_c.jpg

50100830868_5b9983f35a_c.jpg

I'm seriously considering a set of Valeo rear lights after seeing Essen's car. Do they count as OEM+?

They come in a box that says genuine volkswagen accessory on it so I would say yes.
  • Muska, Atomic41 and illegalr32 like this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Yes Valeo's count as OEM+, never put on any factory MK5 but are considered OEM and getting rare and pricey.
  • Muska and Atomic41 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Car looks amazing. Well done .

• Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

50179356328_4e7725f32f_c.jpg

50180146367_aa22624bcb_c.jpg

Just a couple of pictures as I've been cleaning (again!)

In other news, I have now ordered brand new rear calipers & brand new rear caliper carriers.

I'll also be purchasing new:

Braided lines for the rear

Discs

Pads

Dust covers

arch liners (possibly)

Brake fluid - for a complete flush

• Sabaselfsit and illegalr32 like this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Looking so clean i love it. Cleaning it more than driving eh? 😁

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Haha, not a chance!

I've owned it since April 2019 and done nearly 20k miles 😉
  • illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Blimey. 20k Miles. Weather must be good in your area. ! You manage to keep your car looking astonishingly good . On the rear brakes front, AUTODOC have TRW rear calipers at a net £57 each ( cost £117 but £60 refund on return of your old ones ) which I think is a bit of a bargain . 
On the rear lights question. I have a set in my eBay basket , but still undecided whether to spend £350 on a set of lights to replace some that are in perfect working order, when front brakes , wheels and seats are on the longer term shopping list 

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I bought this car to be a daily, and I do about 15k+ a year, my work commute is 80 miles per day.  Yep, people do think I'm mental but I really just enjoy the car & easily average 32mpg to a tank while still enjoying the sound/performance smile.gif  The car does get cleaned to a good standard at least once per week to keep it looking nice and I have used no end of high end detailing products to aid with keeping it nice.  

That is a good price for the rear calipers, unfortunately I've already ordered, and it cost about £145 for the pair.  I think I'd like to fully refurbish the originals as a bit of a side project and offer them up for sale to recoup a little of the cost.

I'm with you on the lights, it's not pocket change for what is a cosmetic upgrade.  I'm still torn if this is a little too far away from the OEM look I'm going for (I know they're stamped VW)  another concern is that any sets I've seen for sale second hand always seem to have LED's out & my OCD wont cope with that if I have similar having shelled out £350!

Edited by Muska, 03 August 2020 - 08:45 AM.

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

£145 for the pair is a good price. As for refurbishing , it is hard work. By the time that one has bought dust seals, hydraulic seal, bleed nipple , paint , done battle with the handbrake mechanism that activates the piston , cleaned everything and hoped that the handbrake seal is intact , £72.50 per caliper is a decent deal . As for a daily driver, I used to drive 90 miles each day in my Lancia Integrale . Never got more than 26mpg but worth every penny, so I fully understand your 15k Miles . I am  new to R32 ownership but do love the car . It can be a relaxing drive and yet, when pushed , becomes quite satisfying . More so in my case I hope after my corner weighting and suspension set up on Friday . Unfortunately I am not in your league when it comes to detailed cleaning . I need to get onto some proper cleaning products rather than ‘ car plan wash and wax’ which I guess doesn’t quite cut it . I do use the two bucket method though, he said trying to retrieve the situation .

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

You have my fullest respect for driving an Integrale daily!

Be careful with detailing, it's a very dark and deep hole leading to all sorts of strange looks/comments from family and neighbors!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Been a petrolhead all my life so odd looks and comments from family and friends is fully and deeply ingrained. Oh, and I regularly dress in Lycra and ride around an indoor track in anti-clockwise circles so,  frankly , spending shed loads of cash on peculiar sounding car cleaning products is small fry. So, advice . Where do I start? Claying as a start point, then polish, then wax then.......

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts

I bought this car to be a daily, and I do about 15k+ a year, my work commute is 80 miles per day. Yep, people do think I'm mental but I really just enjoy the car & easily average 32mpg to a tank while still enjoying the sound/performance smile.gif The car does get cleaned to a good standard at least once per week to keep it looking nice and I have used no end of high end detailing products to aid with keeping it nice.

That is a good price for the rear calipers, unfortunately I've already ordered, and it cost about £145 for the pair. I think I'd like to fully refurbish the originals as a bit of a side project and offer them up for sale to recoup a little of the cost.

I'm with you on the lights, it's not pocket change for what is a cosmetic upgrade. I'm still torn if this is a little too far away from the OEM look I'm going for (I know they're stamped VW) another concern is that any sets I've seen for sale second hand always seem to have LED's out & my OCD wont cope with that if I have similar having shelled out £350!

looking spot on mate can I leave mine with you and clean mine lol
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Haha, Andy, strangely I do get quite a bit of satisfaction from cleaning a car!

@velovetandy, Claying can be a good start point, but a few things worth understanding first might save you from any unexpected results.

If we look at a car paint as 'contaminated' that could be normal dirt, traffic film, bird poop don't ever leave this on paint by the way, it's highly corrosive to your clear coat)

Your normal snow foam and 2 bucket wash should take care of all of these, that should only leave some tougher contamination; Iron Fallout & Tar deposits.

While clay will remove these it can be a little harsh on your paint, possibly leaving some marring (looks a lit like holograms) if you have to work it hard, so I prefer to use a dedicated cleaner for each before reaching for any clay. If you were going to machine polish this would be less of an issue as it would be removed during that stage.  I used Gyeon products on mine but I now have Autosmart Tardis for Tar & Bilt Hamber Korosol for Iron.  Then I'd reach for a fine clay, keeping it very well lubricated throughout to stop it catching on any remaining contaminants.  The colour of your cloths/clay will show you how much is on the paint that perhaps you were not immediately aware of.

It's amazing what a difference just this step done properly can make.  Your paint should feel noticeably smoother, vibrancy improved and now if you polish or add a sealant of some type you're not potentially pushing those harder contaminants around your paint work.  As a further recommendation, when you do your hand wash, get a detailing brush and an APC and give a good clean to all window rubbers, door shuts and panel gaps. It's amazing how much dirt can be held in these areas. 

https://www.detailin...forum/index.php is a great forum and a good insight into how deep the rabbit hole goes...

By chance, here is a video of a United Grey receiving a 3 day detail from a detailer I follow on YouTube: 

In other news, my new rear calipers just arrived, very impressed with the service from BrakepartsUK, very good service as they called me twice before dispatch as I had somehow managed to order 2 calipers of the same side!  Good customer service goes a long way with me.

50192117342_903fec24bd_c.jpg

Now to look into rear discs & pads...

Edited by Muska, 05 August 2020 - 01:06 PM.

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Can anyone confirm if the rear brake cover plate/dust shield can be replaced without removing the whole hub assembly?  I'm struggling to find any info on it and from the limited pictures I have I think it should be possible. 

Thanks in advance

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thank you for all the detailing advice and the links. Much appreciated . The disc splash guards are held on by 3 screws which  are immediately obvious once the disc is removed, which in turn can only come off after the brake caliper carrier is removed. The guard comes off very easily , but the carrier bolts (12 point internal drive) are hard to undo as ( a ) they are tight and (B) your car is probably only on axle stands, so there is not much room to use a long lever on your rachet. Even worse, impact gun will only get at one of them , so all in all, slightly painful. 
However, you have the reward of fitting your shiny replacement calipers , which is quite satisfying . I got carried away with my splash guards, and painted them blue . Maybe black would have been better .......

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

You've very welcome :)

Great, so the hub/wheel bearing don't need to come off to remove the splash guard?  Hmm, I am now wondering if It might just be worth doing both rear wheel bearings while I'm back there anyway.

Yes, those carrier bolts are something I'm really not looking forward to. No impact gun here either, it will be good old fashioned blood, sweat & tears. Likely lots of swearing too I imagine.

While I wouldn't paint my own splash guards any other colour than OEM, if we all did the same things this would be a somewhat duller pastime :)

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts

Can anyone confirm if the rear brake cover plate/dust shield can be replaced without removing the whole hub assembly? I'm struggling to find any info on it and from the limited pictures I have I think it should be possible.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts
To do it properly you need to remove the bearing but you can cut a piece of it to make it fit
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Cheers Andy, I wouldn't want to cut them personally so sounds like removal.  Sensing a bit of mission creep on this stage of my project... laugh.png

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Hi. I am going to dare to contradict Andy. Sorry. Once the disc is off, the splash guard unbolts via the three screws and then comes away without resorting to cutting . On the wheel bearing front , Vw sell them , complete with the 4 ball screws and the drive shaft bolt for about £157. GSF were a similar price, so I bought from vw. I have just checked on AUTODOC and o.e SKF bearings , with bolts , come in at about £60 each. I am definitely buying a pair ready for my front brake upgrade . As for mission creep, inevitable !

• Muska and illegalr32 like this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Velovetandy, would you mind linking to the correct bearing on Autodoc please?  The choice is extremely vast and I want to make sure I order the correct one for the rear.

Most of my parts have arrived now, I just need various bolts, dust shields, brake fluid and the bearings from VW.  I also need to buy a brake bleeding kit, something I've not done before but I feel is within my skill set.

50213599643_3c8491a59c_c.jpg

50214455237_df0d65f1e3_c.jpg

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Just read this . On it .

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Me again.On AUTODOC, the bearing part number is VKBA3643. SKF bearing complete with the 4 ball screws and a new drive shaft bolt. £57.18 including VAT . ABS sensor ring is integral with the bearing . 
Andy

Oh, as for brake bleeding, over the years I seem to have done a lot of it. I have found that 4 jam jars , each with a lid and fitted with either one or two clear tubes of the windscreen washer variety vis a hole punched in the lid. The end of the tube goes right to the bottom of the jar. The other tend of each tube is ideally fitted with a short piece of rubber tube that fits tightly over the bleed nipple. Why four jars? One set up for each brake and , for some front calipers with two bleed nipples , two of the jars each have two pipes. Pour  about a cm of fluid in each jar so that the end of the pipe is under fluid . Then , you need an assistant. All they have to do is press the brake pedal when you ask them to and release it on your next command . This way, you open the bleed nipple as they begin to press and close it before they quite get to the end of the pedal stroke . With a jar on each brake , it is much easier to quickly go between calipers . The only thing you will need to do is keep the master cylinder reservoir topped up. I know this sounds a bit tedious , but it has never failed me. I have tried a number of brake bleed kits and never been completely happy with the outcome , 

• Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Thank you sir, that's the one I had earmarked!

I had been looking into one of the pressured systems you can get that wont require a 'helper' to press the brake pedal, I've only been married 3 years, I'm not sure it would end well!

I'll keep your method in mind though cool.png

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts
We use a pressure bleeder at work and it screws on to the brake fluid reservoir and refills it by it's self then you can bleed it on your own
  • Muska likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.