2008 R32 DPB DSG - Page 3 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

2008 R32 DPB DSG

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3287 posts
https://www.amazon.c...i_jUenFb57T7NHZ

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3287 posts
https://www.amazon.c...i_jUenFb57T7NHZ
  • VelovetAndy likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Cheers Andy, that's exactly the model I've been looking at, along with a matching catch container for the caliper end 

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3287 posts

Cheers Andy, that's exactly the model I've been looking at, along with a matching catch container for the caliper end

My pleasure mate
It's a excellent piece of kit and when you let the pressure of it the brake fluid level will be on max
  • Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Does look good. Got to admit that .

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Morning, 

I have just ordered a pair of SKF bearings from AUTODOC ready for the front hubs. I also bought a pair of steering knuckles. Mine are really rusty so would need blasting and powder coating and at £50 per upright , new ones made sense . However, the brakes are a project for the future , not for now, so I have the bits I need when I am ready .

• Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

MOT time and my rear tyres had some heavy wear on the inside edge.  I was really impressed with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 so I've gone for a full set of those again.

I also had a full Hunter 4 wheel alignment done by A Line in Dudley.  Great guys who came with lots of recommendation from Pistonheads, well worth the 50 mins travel each way.  Very knowledgeable guys, gave me a great run down and advice. (Front camber can't be adjusted on OEM suspension) £65, so very reasonably priced too.

50279231937_df777277b1_c.jpg

50279233387_ed3d3c477d_c.jpg

Before.  Although just inside limits for rear camber it was right at the negative end

50278393158_c0c9fbd31e_c.jpg

No pics of the new tyres, it's raining although I have been out there giving everything a quick wash for good measure.  I can't stand the tyre glue being left on new rubber so a decontam and dressing was in order.

Edited by Muska, 28 August 2020 - 05:42 PM.

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Excellent value for money. Thanks for sharing the suspension alignment data. Always useful.

• Muska likes this

bucket

bucket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

just as a curiosity point, as mine is running about the same amount of front camber.

Apart from going camber plates there isn't any good ways that is known of to get camber on this platform?

Not after -3 or anything like that, but wouldn't mind being able to get it dialled in without the camber plate approach.

Phil.

MK5, DBP, Manual, KW V2, Milltek Resonated

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Superpro adjustable camber bottom ball joints . Fit on o.e arms ( although their alloy ones with new bushes and increased castor are nice ) 

• bucket and Muska like this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Plans have stalled with my rear brake upgrade/refresh due to my computer developing a fault.  It's about time it had an upgrade so it's taking all my spare money for the minute.  Normal service will resume shortly...

However, I've had a steering rack inner joint replaced as it was picked up during the MOT.  I'm quite surprised just how much of a difference it's made, really tightening up the feel and responsiveness.  I needed to go back for another alignment on the front though as the wheel was no longer straight and my OCD couldn't cope!  One front toe adjustment & £25 later I'm happy again :)

On with a bit more cleaning...

I decided to strip out the air box, all parts to it right up to the bumper and the fuse box cover.  While I keep these pretty clean it's impossible to get right into the nooks and crannies so out they came.  Washed with CarPro Multi X at 10:1, left to dry then dressed with CarPro PERL:

50322951848_563cd1f19e_c.jpg

50323796237_f79a02810a_c.jpg

50323796007_7f854db105_c.jpg

PERL gives a very nice matt, non greasy finish. A very versatile product I can highly recommend.

Today I cracked out the machine polisher on the bonnet.  I was going to wait till after I have some paint in spring next year but curiosity got the better of me.

I did a 3 stage polish with Hexlogic pads and a range of Menzerna polishes.

It's not perfect, probably 90-95% of defects taken care of but a huge difference.

50337571246_de9844d2b9_c.jpg

50337727207_efddb1b52f_c.jpg

Once polished I prepped with CarPro Eraser then coated with Gyeon CanCoat - a ceramic coating.  Once that's had a few days to cure I'll top it with Polish Angel high Gloss.

• Dodders, daveyboy and illegalr32 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Lovely work on the engine bay plastics. You have made a real difference . The stage 3 polishing is equally impressive. 

• Muska likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Awesome and clean job as always!! ;) :)

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Evening. A detailing question.I visited a car detailer local to me this afternoon. Very impressed with his work. Cost. Given that he felt that my  paintwork needed a ‘major enhancement’ the price would be around £500. Sounds a lot, but how much does it cost to buy the necessary equipment to do the job oneself ( assuming the requisite ability)?

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3287 posts
It isa lot but if its getting ceramic coated its worth every penny as mine always looks clean even when its not been touched for a month

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Hi Andy's!

It could well be a fair price, it would really depend on whats included in a Major enhancement.  Can you provide any details of the steps included/products used, in particular any coatings?

To buy equipment to do this yourself I think you'd be looking at a little north of £250-350 depending on products chosen.  The caveat here as you identified, is experience/ability.  You can do a lot of damage with incorrect technique/equipment.

Whats the name of the detailer you've spoken with?

this video might give some insight into the process involved and the results you can get when with an experienced detailer.  Helps to show how this chap can charge £1000's for this level of correction.

Edited by Muska, 17 September 2020 - 12:32 PM.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thanks for your help and advice (both) Company I spoke to was ATD detailing in Derby. Basically a small company run by a very enthusiastic man. He is solidly booked until the middle of November . I saw the car he was working on it looked stunning ) He explained that it was a ‘stage one or basic enhancement ‘ and thought that the paintwork needed more ,but that the customer did not want to spend any more. He gave me a  good 30 mins of his time, and spent quite a bit of that looking over my car, pointing out loads of things that I had not noticed .

Anyway, I will look at the video and then make up my mind. Ceramic coating is a dead cert.Car will be used in the wet .

• Muska likes this

codwear

codwear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey, wondering how much it cost you per wheel, or total, to machine finish the lips on your wheels? Mine need curb damage repair but I'm trying to find places that will do this as well for a reasonable price

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

@CODWEAR - sorry I missed your question.  I think I paid £450 for all 4 wheels, that was for a full refurbishment with the machined lip.

Not much to report otherwise although I can highly recommend VW Retrofit in Reddich.  Alex fitted me OEM bluetooth with A2DP (music streaming) and it works faultlessly.  It even displays the track names which I wasn't expecting, especially with Spotify.  He even knocked a little off for me in person while chatting about the car :)

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3287 posts
Good to see you got it all fitted
  • Muska likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I am really digging, respecting and loving the OEM R32's lately.

Had some spare time in my job so I was thinking about reading some quality OEM R32 material and maybe find an inspiration on which way I want to turn with my R32 in the future. What better place than this thread. Took my time and read it all over again. Lost of words. Superb taking care of OEM design. And also found some great detailing tips and products 👌

I have a few questions that I wrote down while reading this thread tho:

- did you put OEM H&R springs on your new shocks or lower?

- do you maybe know the color code for Omanyt's? Looking forward to send mine out for rebuild, just double checking because I want OEM silver

- is the RAL5002 paint for you front callipers
a close match to the OEM paint?
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thank you for the kind words :)  There are new detailing products most months!  Polish Angel is by far my favourite currently.  they're expensive but the results are like nothing I've seen before and a little goes a very long way.

- I fitted new H&R -25mm lowering springs, not OEM.  I just wanted to close the arch gap up a little while keeping the OEM(+) look(there is a small+ to my OEM dreams ;) )

- I don't know the colour code for the Omanyt's but I had brand new center caps at the same time and they're an absolutely perfect match.  Let me know if you have trouble and I'll call up the company I used and ask them.

- After lots and lots of research, RAL5002 Ultramarine Blue was a superb match for the OEM colour.  I have a brand new set of rear calipers in the correct colour in my garage, I'll put one against my repainted front calipers shortly and post the picture for you.  If I were doing it again I would have the fronts power coated in this colour just for a longer lasting finish.

• illegalr32 likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Pics side by side for reference.

Can't get a decent pic as the caliper is in shade inside the wheel well.  They're very close though

49917707397_917d593145_c.jpg50191311318_80d0b3e22b_c.jpg

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Thank you for the answers. I see the two colors are pretty much the same (i know the shadows are different and the camera can't justify the look in person).

About the Omanyt's I'll try to find the color code if not I'll write to you. :)

• Muska likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.