James' DPB 06 R32 build thread - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

James' DPB 06 R32 build thread

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I've always loved the look of the r32 but until recently (and I'm not quite sure why) they haven't really been on my list of cars to own.

However, I stumbled across a video of one last week on YouTube and thought it was time for me to take a dabble.

After trawling the ads on ebay, Gumtree and Pistonheads I decided to go for what looked like one of the best packages - 2006, 127k (so high but not too high), DSG, leather and in deep pearl blue. Lots of service history and HPI clear.

When I went to collect, the seller kindly offered to pick me up from the station, so at about 10.30pm I met the car for the first time. It was dark and rainy but despite that I could straight away tell the car was not quite as described. The description was of a fairly mint car. Interior unmarked, exterior amazing and it genuinely looked great in the pictures. However, it was far from that.

Some of the issues were;

Scratches on bonnet

Front door cards insecurely fitted.

Some interior switches (window & light switch) heavily scratched.

Damage to rear "door cards"
Steamed up headlights
Very matted paint in some areas
Rust on the front drivers side wheel arch.
Key mark to rear drivers quarter
Rust beneath VW badge on tailgate
Scratches to rear bumper
Seats don't slide forwards when tipped for rear passengers to enter
Interior dirty
Rear pads and discs heavily worn.
Front pads very heavily worn.

Very worn remote blipper/key

Missing passenger door mirror glass
Wheels scuffed
Worn DSG knob
Very worn steering wheel
Heated seats not working
Lumbar adjustment not working.
Creaky steering (that actually had stopped creaking by the time I got home).

...you get the idea. However, as soon as I started negotiating it was clear the seller was willing to be flexible on price. I did wonder whether to just leave the car and look elsewhere but in the end I managed to get a significant discount, so I did the paperwork and drove the car home. I eventually arrived back in Lichfield at 3.30am!

The car isn’t all bad. It’s neglected, but the engine sounds very sweet, the DSG is smooth and silky, its the colour I wanted with all the options I like, it’s got a mountain of paperwork and a very complete service history with all the DSG box services done on time.

It turned out the seller already had a replacement tailgate to replace the corroding one so that was also included in the deal and came home with me in e boot.

I didn’t intend for this to be a project car, but for the price (and that engine!) I thought I’d take a gamble.

So I thought I'd start a "build" thread as a record of my work to look back on as I get the car back upto scratch. and if anyone wants to follow along then thats great too.

I'll post some more pics soon, so that you can see how the car is from the start of the journey.

James

Attached Files

Edited by Perksy, 19 January 2020 - 07:51 AM.

• Perksy likes this

AdamR322019

AdamR322019

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWorcester

Looks lovely, glad you got yourself a good deal! Like you said if its mechanically sound then all the other bits and pieces you can do at your leisure.

• Perksy likes this

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Yes it was definitely a good deal so I have a bit of cash to play with to get it right.

Yesterday I had a go at getting rid of some of the worst scratches. So, after plenty of research I decided to have a go at wet sanding. 3000grit to start with, then working through different grades upto 7000grit and then followed with a polish with Menzerna 500 on my DA polisher.

The difference it has made is amazing. I really had nothing to lose and had already budgeted for paintwork at a body shop, so I could be fairly brave. Never done this before but the result was astounding.

Pics to follow.

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Few bits have started to arrive in the post.

New fob case to refurb the old tatty one.  

Passenger mirror glass to replace the missing one!

I've also done a little more shopping online - for a new switch set (elec windows, lights mirror control) and a real leather steering wheel retrim set. 

I now have a few days to practice my sewing skills before it arrives! unsure.png

Attached Files

• Markos likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sounds like it’s in good hands, glad to hear you’re prepared to put the time, money and effort into it 👍🏻

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 695 posts
Awesome stuff looking forward to this thread

stuartj9

stuartj9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I'll look forward to seeing more updates! Good luck.

Same colour and wheels as mine! Great choice! good.gif

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Cheers gents. Yes I’m looking forward to getting it straight but it’s going to be a long journey.

A few more orders have arrived in the last few days.

Oil and Mann engine oil filter
DSG service kit.

I’m going to make time in the next few days to get the DSG service done but I’ve read it can be refilled either from the top where the DSG filter fits (which I’d prefer to do) or from underneath. More research needed.

Today I’ve given the wheels a good (off the car) clean from and back and painted the callipers and backing plates silver. Looks much fresher. Unsure about what the final colour for them will be but it’s a good starting point.

I also gave the scratch on the rear quarter a first coat of touch up. It’s going to go to the painters if I can’t get it right but it’s worth a try.

Still not sure about the wheels and if I really like them or not. I’d love to change them for some 19” BBS CH wheels but they’re expensive. My desire to upgrade to these is stopping me from getting the wheels I have refurbed. I think I’ll plod on with the wheels I have until other things are done and think about fancy wheels once the rest of the car is done.

Pics to follow.

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3421 posts
Look forward to the pics

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Locationglasgow
I might feel sorry for you and sell you my 19inch bbs ck

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Few pics of the last couple of days..

Painted front callipers / discs.

Cleaned wheels. Notice corrosion on rear of wheel arch! 

Touched in the scratch on the rear (may need whole panel respraying but I'm going to give it a lot more work first to make it acceptable first.

DSG service kit arrived.

Attached Files

Edited by Perksy, 12 January 2020 - 02:00 PM.

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Anyone used these suppliers? 

https://www.ebay.co....5R/133103888260

Attached File  Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 14.02.38.png   248.31KB   8 downloads

Edited by Perksy, 12 January 2020 - 02:03 PM.

stuartj9

stuartj9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

What did you paint the rusty bits with? They look much better silver, although I do prefer the calipers blue. Preference though.

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I painted with Silver hammerite (smoothrite).  Yes, I'm still undecided on the colour of the callipers but the silver looks a lot fresher for now.

Bigdeak

Bigdeak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Anyone used these suppliers?

https://www.ebay.co....5R/133103888260

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 14.02.38.png

Id be interested to see if theyre a good fit and match

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for that.  Yes, I've been in touch with the supplier of the wings and he's a totally reasonable gent.  He said I could return them if I wasn't happy with the colour or it just didn't match my (prob faded) existing panels.  Can't say fairer than that!

More progress recently.

New mirror glass fitted in n/s wingmirror.

New rear door cards arrived to replace the tatty ones I had. Back of the car is currently in bits with the old ones removed.  Fitting the new ones is tomorrow morning's job.

Attached File  IMG_6728.JPG   48.1KB   6 downloads

The edge by the seat belt on the old ones...

Attached File  IMG_6734.JPG   51.17KB   6 downloads

The edge by the seatbelt on the new ones...

Attached File  IMG_6729.JPG   33.36KB   6 downloads

New (real leather) steering wheel cover arrived - thats going to need the steering wheel off to be done properly.  If anyone knows any guides for that please let me know.

Attached File  IMG_6731.JPG   46.98KB   6 downloads

I've also removed the front door cards ready to refit with new clips.  The existing ones were bent and not properly fitted.  Again, a job for the morning.

I've also repainted the inner drivers door handle as it was scratched and generally crappy.  I took the opportunity to also fit my new window switches which I must say look fantastic.

Attached File  IMG_6733.JPG   46.17KB   6 downloads

Finally, new key.  This was a £5 ebay replacement case.  Really easy to swap the blade and circuit board over. Just the transponder chip was a pain to move as it was very well glued in to the old case.  However, a lot of hacking and wiggling (and a lot of patience and solvent!) got it out in the end.

Attached File  IMG_6736.JPG   58.77KB   9 downloads

Lots of putting back together to do in the morning, but its getting there, slowly.

James 

Edited by Perksy, 18 January 2020 - 05:57 PM.

Perksy

Perksy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I've also ordered this from Amazon for £10 so I can change the DSG fluid I bought.  I'm going to go for the top fill method.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 18.00.00.png   419.65KB   10 downloads

https://www.youtube....h?v=ylaV_ALRALo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.