illegal R32 - Pursuit of happines - MK5 R32 build thread - Page 3 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

illegal R32 - Pursuit of happines - MK5 R32 build thread

Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

It does look good and I see why you needed the blue COP covers. Red and blue in the same engine bay? Absolute no no !

• Muska and illegalr32 like this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Next mod incoming :D

I've felt in love the first time I saw these Audi R8 oil and water caps so I had to get them! I've bought them from ex owner who had them stored in the basement for a few years :)! These are OEM R8 caps, a bit expensive but money well spent!

Another little mod I've done was painting washer bottle cap from blue to black! Muchas better now :D Easy and cheap mod

AUDI R8 OIL & COOLANT CAPS + BLACK WASHER BOTTLE CAP

Producer: Audi

Model: R8

OEM numbers: oil cap - 420 103 485 B

coolant cap - 420 121 321

Price: I paid 100€ for both caps together

Note: Oil cap has to be customized so it sits perfectly straight as it should. Most people are not bothered with that but I am. It is easy to do as the cap can be split, a dremmel tool must be used tho.

1595951293993.jpg

1595951260798.jpg

1595951236527.jpg

Hold on, engine bay not finished yet, more to come :D

It does look good and I see why you needed the blue COP covers. Red and blue in the same engine bay? Absolute no no !

Yeah :D

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The caps are a real quality addition to the engine bay. Neat .

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

The last piece missing under the bonnet was...

CUSTOM R32 ENGINE PLATE

I don't really like OEM engine plate which has a V6 on it. Don't know what Germans were thinking but I had to change it. I really like mk4 R32 engine designation which is fairly simple. But I added a bit more.

The old engine plate had to go

IMG-20200223-134636.jpg

The concept in my head was to make a mix between mk4 and mk5 r32 engine plate. Because I work with plexi glass and stuff, I first got myself some 5mm thick black gloss piece of plexi.

IMG-20200420-170037.jpg

Cut it on laser just roughly before I tested my hand skills

IMG-20200420-184111.jpg

Pretty good isn't it!!!

Used some 3M double sided foil to stick the plate to the engine later on

IMG-20200420-191308.jpg

Ordered OEM mk4 R32 badge, costs around 25€ (just this week OEM mk5 R32 badge reproduction started so hurra!!)

IMG-20200421-085137.jpg

Fitted to the engine

IMG-20200521-103050.jpg

And the last piece missing was the Volkswagen logo. Ordered some 3D ones from China, looking super nice!

IMG-20200529-112257.jpg

I believe the engine bay is now finished!! smile.gif And I love it <3

IMG-20200628-152256.png

Edited by illegalr32, 29 July 2020 - 07:09 PM.

• DubNurd and Muska like this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 691 posts
Wow! Looks slick.
  • illegalr32 likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Love the attention to detail, you've really taken this R32 to the next level :)

I notice you've now got the blue Coil pack caps ;) (what are these supposed to be called?!)

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Love the attention to detail, you've really taken this R32 to the next level :)

I notice you've now got the blue Coil pack caps ;) (what are these supposed to be called?!)

Thank you.

I wrote about them already here is everything you need to know including part numbers/buying links

https://www.r32oc.co...-2#entry2690336
  • Muska likes this

Atomic41

Atomic41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

need a black oil stick handle ;P

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

need a black oil stick handle ;P

Was thinking about it, could just spray it but must say I pretty like it this way haha smile.gif

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Just thought I'd drop a shot or two in here. Less than a month remains until the car is getting stored for the next 8 months sorry.gif

1592508879838.jpg

1592554559929.jpg

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Your car looks exceptionally good. It looks like a performance car( which it was designed to be ) but you have attended to detail to a remarkable level. Deeply impressive. The only thing I am not sure about is the ride height. On typical English ‘b’ roads, which have been lovingly fitted with pot holes , suspension travel matters . I am having my ride height and corner weights set on Friday, but dare not go with quite the stance that your car has, just for the above reason. ( I have also been tempted with a stage one remap of both engine and DSG, so  will get that done at the same time. I will definitely need front brakes and wheels after that ! 
Enjoy your beautiful car for the next month . It is remarkable .

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Thank you Andy! About ride height, it's really on it's limit considering the car is static. Under engine plastic cover scrapes to the ground almost everywhere, also front wheels rub against the fenders in almost every fast corner if there are any passengers in the car. I am driving very carefully so there isn't really any damage apart from bent front right wing which will be replaced anyway with wider ones. Ride height doesn't bounce a lot because KW V2's are superior coilovers and the position on the road is insane together with thicker anti roll bars.

I am not considering to raise the car, and roads here are far from perfect... Planning to go air in future :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The 25mm wider wings look like a really useful upgrade. I say this as I contemplate my front brake upgrade. Anything more than about 360mm disc and 19” wheels become a necessity. That means 8.5” wide , with 235/35 tyres and the prospect of rubbing( which would drive me absolutely nuts ) So one decision on the brakes has big implications .......

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Yep correct. You have to decide what you preffer... Don't put 235 tyres on 8.5J wheels, 225 is just enough so it still looks good an not too fat ;)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

You’re right. Just had a close look at your tyres . They look perfect . Mind you, on those wheels...... That was your buy of a lifetime. Most of us would donate at least one kidney for a set of those . There is a set on Facebook that are bbs 2 piece split which look quite good, but not in the same league as yours .

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

You’re right. Just had a close look at your tyres . They look perfect . Mind you, on those wheels...... That was your buy of a lifetime. Most of us would donate at least one kidney for a set of those . There is a set on Facebook that are bbs 2 piece split which look quite good, but not in the same league as yours .

Hahaha. Most people I know don't like them, but hey I like them A LOT! In person the car loks mint with them and I just won't change my wheels for some time. I have something crazy in mind in future, but these wheels won't be for sale, ever. I just appreciate them too much:) This set was imported from Germany, and this is the only set in our country as far as I know. One brand new Superleggera III wheel costs around 1080€. Got them for reasonable price and I just like the fact these are 3-piece with forged middle part :)

1596286873470.jpg

Edited by illegalr32, 09 August 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• Muska likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Next mod, performance wise and probably the best mod on this car so far...

Complete custom 3" valved exhaust

The exhaust was made by local proffesional (material inox).

3" downpipes,  straight back. The valve is placed at the back, between rear silencer pipe and straight pipe. The valve is controled via remote controler, control unit is placed in the trunk. Finished with custom made exhaust tips.

The sound is wicked, and it is something special and very different than just straight pipe, beautiful VR6 sound is still present wink.gif . Should score around 133+ db if measured correctly (on Worthersee 2019 R32 meet sound check, the car alone was louder than the whole parking lot revving their R32's together rolleyes.gif). I rarely drive with valves open, but when I do, I can't stop smiling.wub.png

A bit dirty under but planning to restore it completely in future. I'm addicted to this car and with it's perfection, which is my only goal beside lifetime ownership.

IMG-20200624-121656.jpg

Edited by illegalr32, 11 August 2020 - 06:20 PM.

• iooroiidvd, Muska and Atomic41 like this

Atomic41

Atomic41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Sound Clip soon ?

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

There is a sound clip or two. The tone is deeper in reality, it's just how phone mic recorded it but you get an idea. 

I got multiple reports from friends already, which heard the car as far as 4 km's away shok.gif I don't want to be stupid and loud everywhere, but temptation is sometimes too strong.

I really don't like to show off or being famous to be honest, that's why I NEVER rev my car on car meets, even tho people are gathering around like crazy. Hate the whole fake social media world, that's why I quit Instagram lately (my reach was 60,000+ people per post, but thanks, I don't want it). Must be some sort of an oldschool guy in me that doesn't give a sh%t about amount of likes and social media recognizability smile.gif The forum is different, and here I am showing my progress and everything I don't want to forget. Also people are coming here with an intention and their connection to R32's.

I discovered lately, that everywhere I go, atleast one guy, no matter the age comes to me and says: "Well done mate" or "That is a sick Golf is it a real R32?".  It means so much to me and I am the happiest person on Earth if I have a chance to show and talk about my car with someone who shows real interest in person wink.gif

Edited by illegalr32, 12 August 2020 - 02:24 PM.

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The fly by video sounded like an old school F1 car from back in the Cosworth dfv days . A glorious sound , but you probably close the valve in the middle'of town! I am not surprised that random strangers approach you and ask about your car . It is a very special R32 .

• illegalr32 likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I know what you mean about a little real interaction, driving home from work in the morning recently in the rain, a red GT3 comes level with me, gave me a nod and pulled away.  Made my morning biggrin.gif

While I share your thoughts on social media & I don't have a personal presence, having used it t document my car I've found some really helpful people and advice when using it on my terms :)

You really can't beat reading back over progress via a forum/owners club though.

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I know what you mean about a little real interaction, driving home from work in the morning recently in the rain, a red GT3 comes level with me, gave me a nod and pulled away. Made my morning biggrin.gif

While I share your thoughts on social media & I don't have a personal presence, having used it t document my car I've found some really helpful people and advice when using it on my terms :)

You really can't beat reading back over progress via a forum/owners club though.

Exactly what I thought :)

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

My previous post was related to my valved exhaust system, which is controlled via remote controller. 

I hated having remote controller in arm rest as it was hard to reach and also it bounced all the time back and forth.

The remote controller custom made holder

IMG-20200425-094853.jpg

So I've designed a special holder which is perfect fit to the drivers side glove box! smile.gif Another little detail I've added is engraved .:R32 logo. Pretty sweet right? wub.png

IMG-20200424-202331.jpg

IMG-20200425-093444.jpg

Final result. Took the picture with flash so every tiny bit of dust is visible dry.png

IMG-20200814-185111.jpg

Edited by illegalr32, 14 August 2020 - 05:41 PM.

• iooroiidvd and Muska like this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 691 posts
Ooof! So cool.
  • illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Lost for words. Fantastic attention to detail.

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The only thing that puzzles me is the word ‘dust’ I do not understand how ‘dust’ and ‘your car’ can possibly co-exist ? 

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

The only thing that puzzles me is the word ‘dust’ I do not understand how ‘dust’ and ‘your car’ can possibly co-exist ? 

Hahaha biggrin.png There is barely any but you know, car is getting dirty even just by standing in the garage most of the time mega_shok.gif

Edited by illegalr32, 17 August 2020 - 02:22 PM.

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I'll put interior mods to the side for a bit, I'll cover it soon.

Maintenance is the key, even on very reliable 3.2 VR6 engines. It was a time to do a DSG oil and filter change and we also changed the haldex fluid. Everything was done by a friend at VW service, with OEM parts only.

DSG + HALDEX SERVICE

IMG-20200624-121602.jpg

Finito biggrin.gif

IMG-20200624-130053.jpg

The amount of looks that car attracted at service was unbelieveable! When entire service staff including the director of the service checks the car and they say Wow, it is a special feeling. So glad I own this and cheers to many more years of ownership drinks.gif

Edited by illegalr32, 23 August 2020 - 03:21 PM.

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Wish I had a friend  with that kind of service facility. Presumably when not in  use for car servicing , he rents it out to your health service to use as an operating theatre .

Good call on the use of VW stuff for the service though. I know they are more expensive (filters etc) but you do know what you are getting . 

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Wish I had a friend with that kind of service facility. Presumably when not in use for car servicing , he rents it out to your health service to use as an operating theatre .
Good call on the use of VW stuff for the service though. I know they are more expensive (filters etc) but you do know what you are getting .

Well it was actually much cheaper with friends help than it would be otherwise. Paid 192€ for everything including work (dsg+haldex), which is like 173£. 😁 I do all the other maintenance myself.

Edited by illegalr32, 19 August 2020 - 03:32 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.