illegal R32 - Pursuit of happines - MK5 R32 build thread - Page 4 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

illegal R32 - Pursuit of happines - MK5 R32 build thread

Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Blimey. That is good.5 litres of engine oil, 5 litres of DSG oil and one of Haldex will be well over a £100, so top value . I must admit it is probably one job I would pay to have done as it is such a pain to do with the car at ground level . 

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Let's touch the paintwork. It was in horrible condition, a lot of marks and scrathes which were visible even from distance.

It had to be sorted. You can see the paint before being polished. bad.gif

2 - STEP POLISH + CERAMIC COATING + WAXING

burst.jpg

IMG-20200706-123403.jpg

Let's hit it.

IMG-20200706-161949.jpg

The result after 2 step polishing. Done it together with my friend.

IMG-20200706-171942.jpg

After the car was polished, we applied the ceramic coating. Picked the CarPro CQ UK 3.0. Two layers applied. After that I applied Fusso Coat wax for black color. The finished look is outstanding.

IMG-20200706-202338.jpg

IMG-20200707-094206.jpg

The car is on different paintjob level now! It shines like crazy, no marks or scratches left (except of some deep ones at the rear, but nothing horrible). Happy now biggrin.gif

IMG-20200721-191418.jpg

IMG-20200721-191449.jpg

IMG-20200815-151813.jpg

Blimey. That is good.5 litres of engine oil, 5 litres of DSG oil and one of Haldex will be well over a £100, so top value . I must admit it is probably one job I would pay to have done as it is such a pain to do with the car at ground level . 

Yeah I am getting car lift before I continue building this car further wink.gif

Edited by illegalr32, 23 August 2020 - 03:14 PM.

• iooroiidvd and Muska like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Excellent job on the paintwork renovation. Bet it tool a long time .

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts
The ceramic coating is one of the best things I got done on mine and then you wash it and come to dry it just pat it try
  • illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Excellent job on the paintwork renovation. Bet it tool a long time .

Thank you. Took us 4 days to finish it off completely but just taking it easy!  :) Worth it!

The ceramic coating is one of the best things I got done on mine and then you wash it and come to dry it just pat it try

It is! There is no need to wash the car with a "sponge" anymore :) I simply snow foam it, wait 3 minutes and then rinse it. Then I dry it with a fresh towel and go for a short drive and the car is perfectly clean!! :)

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Here we go with interior upgrades. Starting off with some DSG paddle extensions which are a must!

DSG PADDLE EXTENSIONS

These ones are from Ebay and are super nice blue color which I really like (goes together with brake callipers paint).

IMG-20200818-165812.jpg

IMG-20200823-141840.jpg

I believe this are the ones I have

Edited by illegalr32, 23 August 2020 - 03:47 PM.

R32barspin

R32barspin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Here we go with interior upgrades. Starting off with some DSG paddle extensions which are a must!

DSG PADDLE EXTENSIONS

These ones are from Ebay and are super nice blue color which I really like (goes together with brake callipers paint).

IMG-20200818-165812.jpg

IMG-20200823-141840.jpg

I believe this are the ones I have

Cars looking good man!
  • illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Cars looking good man!

Thank you man! :)

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Proceeding with another small, but sweet detail. Cherry dark red hazard switch, way nicer than OEM.

IMG-20200823-142130.jpg

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Now that is sweet. Not absolutely convinced by the stick on paddle extensions . Do they fit and grip well?

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Now that is sweet. Not absolutely convinced by the stick on paddle extensions . Do they fit and grip well?

The best possible extensions out there in my opinion ;) 10/10

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

So I was absend for some time because I actually destroyed my phone with thousands of pictures on it, including everything about my cars! Luckily I restored everything so we are good to go on now smile.gif Have to start making safety copies from now on.

CUSTOM FLOOR MATS

Next thing to make interior look nicer were new floor mats. I ordered them from a company in our country, they are fully personalized (material, edge pattern, edge colour and the R32 logo).

Paid 50€ for all 4 which is a steal. More than happy with how it turned out and these are super easy to clean smile.gif OEM perfect fitment.

IMG-20200225-184917.jpg

IMG-20200225-184922.jpg

IMG-20200818-165824.jpg

Edited by illegalr32, 03 September 2020 - 08:28 PM.

• filbro likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Love it, that is an absolute bargain price for those mats!

Do you have any plans to change the seats?  Wingbacks maybe?

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

You should have bought 10 sets and offered a group buy. They look excellent and at €50 a real bargain. Good question about the Wingbacks . Over here, Recarro CS wingbacks without heating or airbag are about £1200 each. Airbags cost another £260 per seat and if one goes for heating and airbags, closer to £2k . ( you can tell I have been looking) Personally I would/ will settle for the basic seat .

However, brakes for complete followed by wheels

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Love it, that is an absolute bargain price for those mats!

Do you have any plans to change the seats? Wingbacks maybe?

To be honest the seats are my next top priority. OEM are great but I hate leather so much! The case is that in our country wingbacks are impossible to get because there isn't any 😂 The only option is to import them but the prices for 10+ year old seats are killing this idea. Found a few "cheap" sets in UK, but nobody is willing to send them over to Europe!

Tried Recaro CS in friend's R32 but I don't like them, so no no.

I am really into Recaro Pole Postition to be honest. Have to try them but everyone I ask, says these are incredible!

I think final decision will be between pole position and OEM wingbacks. Will see ;)

Edited by illegalr32, 04 September 2020 - 01:03 PM.

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Nice choice on Pole Positions!

I've never tried therm personally but they look fantastic and I've heard many a good thing about them.

I look forward to reading about your choice soon ;)

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Seat discussion continued. Pole position do not fold, so access to the rear seats a bit compromised. To be fair, access to the rear is about number 471 on my list of priorities , but did you find the Sportster CS seats uncomfortable ( hence your dislike ) or did they not look ‘right’ in the R32?. Pole position do look good and save an absolutely massive amount of weight over the o.e seats 

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Nice choice on Pole Positions!

I've never tried therm personally but they look fantastic and I've heard many a good thing about them.

I look forward to reading about your choice soon wink.gif

I have everything and a lot planned for this thread so yes, just keep following it, many interesting and unique things are yet to come ;)

Seat discussion continued. Pole position do not fold, so access to the rear seats a bit compromised. To be fair, access to the rear is about number 471 on my list of priorities , but did you find the Sportster CS seats uncomfortable ( hence your dislike ) or did they not look ‘right’ in the R32?. Pole position do look good and save an absolutely massive amount of weight over the o.e seats 

Yeah mate same. Rear seats are going to be deleted anyway in mine, and I also never drive anyone at the back seats in my R, it is just something I hate.

About CS. The look itself isn't that bad, but yes the seats look too modern for the R32 in my opinion (much better looking in a mk6 or mk7). Also the seating position was way to high (I know lower brackets are an option but still having no height adjustment is just another no for me). Pole positions look straight "race car" and since my car is being done in "DTM" style, with OEM taste I think these are the best possible option, including TUV certificate so I can legally use them in my country.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. Thank you. I see. The higher seating position suits me , so if I cannot find o.e wingbacks I think I will go down the CS route , although I do plan to look at both in the flesh before I purchase . 

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Right. Thank you. I see. The higher seating position suits me , so if I cannot find o.e wingbacks I think I will go down the CS route , although I do plan to look at both in the flesh before I purchase .

Yeah mate, these are all an amazing seats, even standard OEM, it's just what you preffer and like at the end of the day :) btw why don't you start your own build thread, would love to see it ;)

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 691 posts

btw why don't you start your own build thread, would love to see it ;)

He already has :)

https://www.r32oc.co...6186-new-owner/

Along with yours it's one of the best on the forum, truly inspiring the pair of you! But very bad for the wallet ;)

Edited by iooroiidvd, 05 September 2020 - 09:09 AM.

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

He already has smile.gif

https://www.r32oc.co...6186-new-owner/

Along with yours it's one of the best on the forum, truly inspiring the pair of you! But very bad for the wallet wink.gif

Well I somehow missed that! Apologies, will dig into reading right now biggrin.gif

Thank you. As I said many times to many people. Money < R32 and mine also doesn't have a price blum.gif

Edited by illegalr32, 05 September 2020 - 07:10 PM.

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I love making custom and unique things, so I've decided to make a carrier for a little fire extinguisher.

CUSTOM FIRE EXTINGUISHER CARRIER

I got an idea, to mount the fire extinguisher on the passenger side floor mat. So I've made a carrier from plexiglass which is mounted below the mat with 3 bolts. Super clean, practical and it also looks very nice.

Cut it on laser

IMG-20200519-144753.jpg

From below

IMG-20200519-152136.jpg

Don't mind the dust, it's just the protective foil. This is the design of the whole thing.

IMG-20200519-145800.jpg

IMG-20200519-151509.jpg

Mounted in car

IMG-20200519-152314.jpg

And the final look ;)

IMG-20200818-165908.jpg

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Yes. Very neat. And actually a good idea. I have one in the boot, but in an emergency probably not the best place. Neat work.

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Moving on. This mod was done by previous owner but I would do the same exact thing as he did.

MK7 KEY FOB RETROFIT

Golf 5 key is boring and it reminds me on mk4 key which I don't like at all. So one of the two keys was replaced with Golf 7 key housing. I love it and it looks and feels so much better than standard! Also have some rubber casing on it which is not on the pictures, just to keep it good looking. Also have to repalce the .:R logo, I have one in spare ;)

aaa.png

IMG-20200907-174518-BURST003.png

• iooroiidvd and Muska like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The Mk7 one is much neater. Tricky job to do ? 

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Not really, just the chip has to be transformed and that is pretty much it (maybe the key has to be quick programmed in the keylock later on but that is it)

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I did this myself recently, got the fob off eBay and once the blade was cut by the local shoe repairers, it was a 5 min job. I did use a little hot glue to hold the chip in the recess as it popped out so wouldn't switch the immobiliser off. Doh🤦🏻‍♂️
  • illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Let's touch the radio unit which was also upgraded by previous owner. The OEM radio was SAT NAV.

RCD 330+ RADIO UNIT

OEM was replaced by RCD 330+, an aftermarket unit which looks so OEM that is hard to believe. Fits perfectly into mk5 to be honest! good.gif

This one also has USB port, SD card port, touch screen and many more options. Works like a charm :)

111.png

Edited by illegalr32, 09 September 2020 - 07:48 PM.

• daveyboy and iooroiidvd like this

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts
Was looking at these head units but not sure is the info shows in the High line clocks like my current one
  • illegalr32 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.