New owner - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

New owner

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Morning all,

Black 3 door 2006 R32 arrives this afternoon.  Complete with its 54000 miles on the clock and more history than, oh, HenryViii. Arrived at a DSG R32 via 15 years of Alfasuds, 10 years of Lancia Integrales and 5 years of Peugeot 205’s  . Over that time I have rebuilt form bare shells at least one of each of the above, all with major and significant modifications . I will try to keep this R32 as God and Volkswagen intended , except  for perhaps brakes and suspension . We will see. Oh, why DSG and not manual, especially as I have  never had an automatic since I started driving in 1972. DSG because I fell off my bike in January (Velodrome  tumble) , broke my shoulder but managed to sever a few nerves whilst I was at it , so my right arm is not quite the arm it used to be. Back on a turbo trainer that is nailed to the garage floor but not yet on a road bike, so an Auto seems like the way to go. If I can master the technology I will post a picture of my new toy when it arrives .

Andy

• Muska likes this

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19242 posts
Welcome to the forum...
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Dodders

Dodders

• Moderators
  • 2132 posts
Welcome along, enjoy your afternoon!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thank you. Very excited  

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Arrived. Very pleased. Road tax hurts doesn’t it , but it is the price of a V6 

Attached Files

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3177 posts
Welcome to the forum and least you can use the paddles on the wheels

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Certainly can.

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3177 posts
Also need more photos

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. Initial impressions. I had forgotten what a modern car feels like. Everything works and nothing rattles , squeaks or leaks . The DSG transmission is sublime. Deeply impressed. Paddles in sport mode is the way to go!. It does not feel as portly as its 1600kg would suggest, and the levels of grip I found astonishing , although that piece of homework has written on it'must try harder'. Seats are really comfortable, although I do covet some leather big wings . The brakes are very confidence inspiring although in common with most modern systems, lots of power and not much feel. Ditto the steering .It has front wheels and the cars goes where you point it,and when it gets pointed, but without much feedback. 

Things to do. 

(1) exhaust. No idea what it is but it has no centre silencer and it is not a Miltec , but it is in SS.Conclusion. Bloody noisy. Resonated MIltec is presumably the way to go, but before I hit the 'buy it now' button on the Miltec site, advice and comments appreciated . I want to hear the V6, but not quite this much. 

(2) Suspension. It is firm, thank God. but not well controlled on poor road surfaces ( Derbyshire, we are good at poor road surfaces) Feels a bit 'crashy and underdamped . I am an Ohlins fan, but again, many on here will have shed loads of experience , so please feel free to share it with a Newbie . However, not overly keen of lowering as it changes wishbone angles ( and driveshaft) and although it drops centre of gravity it does not do the same on the roll centre , so bizarrely the roll moment can get worse. Anyways, thoughts on this one please? What have others used? 

Think that is the list for the moment, but not bad after 30 mins at the wheel. 

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3177 posts
Try lucifier on here for exhausts as they are made to the same specs as miltek but cheaper

Or scorpion and I went for the res cat back on mine. Also fit the oem one and change the tips to 4".
Suspension wise I Lowered mine with H&r springs and makes it drive and handle a lot better. Look through my build thread for sound clips and pictures
  • VelovetAndy likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thank you. Very useful thread. 

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7255 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

If the exhaust is unbranded it is probably one of mine as many people use my exhausts as they are the same design and build internally and externally as milltek but with slightly different tail pipes and no shiny badge. Any none res exhaust is loud on a V6 which i personally prefer resonated as like you say you keep the V6 low burble and growl. You can buy a resonated centre pipe from me or a Milltek if you prefer as they both will fit as same design or buy a complete new Milltek exhaust if you want :) 

https://www.r32oc.co...xhaust-systems/

• VelovetAndy likes this

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Message sent. You have a customer .

R32barspin

R32barspin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Welcome to the forum!
  • VelovetAndy likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Exhaust improvement now in train thanks to Lucifer . Next question. I would like to replace my paddle shifters with larger ones. Stick on types are readily available but not keen on those .Alloy  replacements for the MK7 golf R  are also easy to find, and seem like they fit well, but I cannot find anything for the Mk5 . Any suggestions or do the mk7 type fit? Next question is about suspension. Plan ‘a’ is to assume that a 14 year old car has 14 year old suspension bushes, so the first job is to replace all bushes, go for an antiroll bar and drop link upgrade and perhaps even those beautiful front lower alloy wishbones , all the above being from Superpro, although Whiteline also do a decent antiroll bar kit at a slightly lower price . It just sees more logical to get all the suspension underpinnings sorted before upgrading springs and dampers . Thoughts folks before my credit card runs off and hides .

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

My card did not hide well enough. First part of the exhaust from Lucifer has arrived and the back box is in transit. Complete suspension upgrade from Superpro on order( bushes, antiroll bars and links and front alloy arms ) . Already arrived are a set of used rear suspension arms . Bushes now out and metalwork off to be powder coated in the next couple of days . The idea is to be able to do the rear suspension upgrade without having the car off the road for very long, hence the duplicate arms that will be coated and rebushed prior to me attacking the car with a trolley jack. I will post some photos of the shiny bits when they are done . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Whilst waiting for the bushes, anti roll bars and the powder coaters, I did my least favourite job of car washing and waxing . It is, however, a good way of finding all the blemishes and faults. Overall, well pleased with the paintwork which is , after all, 14 years and 55000 miles old. I took off the under ones sound deadening and cleaned and waxed underneath, then put it back, wondering why I had bothered, but at least I know it is clean under there .

In terms of upgrades, Cat back exhaust has arrived ( thank you Michael) but I am not quite sure about the state of the downpipes , so slight pause. And looking at the rear suspension, I think it will be easier to do all the arm and bar swaps with the rear silencer out of the way, so may leave the exhaust until the arms are ready. After that , I think my list will be (1) Öhlins (2) Brembo/AP 4 piston calipers and (3) Neuspeed RSe12 wheels . Slight snag with that list is the overall cost , so although I think the order is right, it will not all be done by next week. 
Anyway, three random pictures. The car is really growing on me. I am glad I bought an R32 . The other possibility was the same platform  with  an Audi TT body attached . 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Well. Not quite according to plan on the photo posting front. Attempt number two.

Attached Files

Richyo

Richyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Looks great Velovet Andy! I wish I had the cash, and mechanical skills, to sort mine out this way!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Progress. Rear suspension arms back from the powder coaters today and I also collected a full set of suspension bolts from VW. I had to order them all but they are readily available, which is good news. I am used to Peugeot 205 parts hunt which is a little more tricky. 
Anyway, the arms cost me £40 from eBay, the coating another £72 complete with blasting and the bolts......... VW know how to charge for bolts. The lot cost over a hundred. Thank God there are not as many at the front. Still waiting for the Superpro bushes, front wishbones and the anti roll bars and drop links. Lucifer has kindly sent me one of his ( very nicely made) Cat back resonated exhausts so my spanners are now off furlough and looking forward to getting back to work. 

Attached Files

• daveyboy likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

More goodies arrived this morning in the shape of the Superpro handling kit, which has a complete set of bushes, alloy front lower arms with bushes and ball joints, 24mm front and rear anti roll bars and new drop links . I will be busy over the next few days ! 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And a few hours later, one set of rear Superpro bushes installed in the arms. Much easier to put in new ones that to remove the old ones . Next job is to get the car on stands and crack on with replacing the exhaust and all the arms. I imagine that I will want to clean up and paint the hubs and driveshafts and the disc splash guards, but will leave that until I replace the rear springs and dampers , otherwise the car will be off the road for ages ! 

Attached Files

• daveyboy likes this

UnbornBones

UnbornBones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Looks like this so going to be a well looked after car.

Looking forward to following your thread 👍

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

That’s the hope. Some of the work done by folk on here is amazing in terms of attention to detail and visual impact. My first priority is to make my car handle the way it goes and stops, then I will think about how to improve it visually. Having said that , the Recarro wingback seats are just beautiful, but soooooo expensive and even harder to justify when the full leather seats already in the car are absolutely fine. Nevertheless, if the opportunity arises, it will be sod the priorities , wingbacks are the way forward!

UnbornBones

UnbornBones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Totally agree with getting the car running the way you want it first. I've not got much experience with performance cars but happily suprised at how well the r32 handles for an older car.
I'm one of the few that's not a fan of the wingbacks, one of the things I love about the r32 is that to someone not interested in cars it just looks like a standard golf, I think the wingbacks spoil that for me. I have tried them though and they are super comfy!
  • VelovetAndy likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Interesting. I agree that one of the 'advantages' of the R32 in my book is that on first glance it is just another Golf , so can go unnoticed. A closer look reveals a real performance car . The wingbacks do look good though, and as you have confirmed that they are really comfortable too, then i know what I will be asking for Christmas. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Well, made a start. First job was to remove the old exhaust, which was just a back box, a bit of pipe and a bodged connection to the 'Y' junction downstream of the CATS .Next was to set to on the suspension arms , after having dosed all the bolts in Plus Gas . I thought I would do a really easy bit and knock though the pins that hold the Rivit that holds the handbrake cable to the trailing arm. Would they knock though? would they Knickers.? In the end , I had to resort to(close your eyes now if you are of a sensitive disposition) an angle grinder. Rivits now out. I am undecided whether to go and get some replacements from VW or use a couple of stainless nyloc  nuts and bolts to retain the plastic handbrake support . Cross that bridge tomorrow.  The dampers look absolutely awful, and one is leaking, so Ohlins will need to be ordered tomorrow, which will delay the job. This is going to take longer than I thought. I will try to include some photographs tomorrow.

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 643 posts
Ohlins have a 10 day lead time I believe.

Can't believe I've missed this thread until now, great work, keep it up!

Muska

Muska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

This is my kind of thread!  Top work so far dirol.gif

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

What a day. Admittedly I did an hour on my turbo trainer first thing , but otherwise , in the garage all day.And it was a fight.I now have off all the arms and antiroll bar, and the hubs, discs and Calipers . Bare hubs now in Bilthamber Deox C giving up15 years of rust. New handbrake rivets on order along with a pair of brake disc dust shields. Some of those bolts were tight, really tight. On the up side , nothing has broken but nothing came off easily. Lead time on the Öhlins is a bit of a snag, as I had hoped not to have the car off the road for very long, but I really do not want to go back underneath the car again for a while once this job is done. Probably looking at its absolute worst now, and progress will a bit slow as  visit to Mother in law tomorrow and Thursday will be a day of cleaning and preparation . Despite the scabby appearance , I am really pleased with the overall condition of the underside. It really is in good shape with no sign of any corrosion .

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.