New owner - Page 2 - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

New owner

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Update . Öhlins dealer in Barnsley has confirmed that the lead time is 4 weeks at least . The factory is on reduced time and the scheduled summer holiday starts in mid July . Hmm. What to do. KW variant 3 another option, but I will try other places tomorrow just in case someone somewhere has a hotline to Öhlins . Bugger. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Öhlins in stock at the manufacturer so could be with me by next week. Work has progressed today , and now the back end of car is pretty bare. The calipers were awful once I git them off, so refurb kits in their way along with some paint. That little piece of brake pipe that goes from hose to caliper managed to twist as soon as I got a spanner close to it, so I need to get/make replacements . Hel hoses ordered from Awesome GTI today who then messaged me a couple of hours later to say that they were out of stock and would get them in 5-7 days . Wheel arch liners out ( underneath is excellent , so they have done a good job ) so more prep tomorrow and some painting . This is taking longer than I had imagined , but then I have pulled everything bar the diff and subframe off the car , so.it serves me right .

Oh, and I need new pads!

Attached Files

• Muska likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 653 posts

That little piece of brake pipe that goes from hose to caliper managed to twist as soon as I got a spanner close to it,

Glad it wasn't just me being dumb when I did mine then :)

I looked everywhere but ended up sourcing from ebay, bought two needed one so still have a passenger rear if that helps?

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 653 posts

Awesome GTI today who then messaged me a couple of hours later to say that they were out of stock and would get them in 5-7 days

Why am I unsurprised :)

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3193 posts
They always twist trying to undo them.. I just bought new ones

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Yep. I have a really nice brake pipe flaring tool ( vice mounted ) so was quite relaxed until I realised that the flares are all SAE din and all my dies are SAE ( different angle on the flare) So, bought a pair of pipes . The fitting to the caliper is an odd size too, definitely not 10x1 . I am just hoping that I will not have the same issue when I undo the hose from the other end of the pipe, particularly the drivers side , as the pipe runs back to the master cylinder . Plenty of Plus Gas and mucho care should do it . This ‘ it will only take me a day ‘ job is turning into a ‘ no I am sure I said it would be a whole weeks worth ‘ type of conversation over the breakfast table . 
When I bought the car I was really pleased to have ‘only’ spent £9000. I definitely need to keep this car for a long time now, as it is already at £13000 and I have not mentioned wheels or front brakes . They will both have to keep .

They are nice cars though!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Lunchtime update. Prep for some painting. The hub carriers had a two day bath in Bilthamber Deox C . Brilliant stuff for de rusting without pain.I should have dropped the discs in as well , now I think of it. However. POR15 is excellent on rusted surfaces so all will be well😅

Attached Files

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And two hours later ........... Oh, the faded picture behind the trailing arms ? A former mistress in the exquisite shape of a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo .Why did I sell it ? Moved house from Lincoln to Ashbourne, and the price differential meant that something had to give . The Delta lost ( but it did pay for all new window, new roof , new central heating and probably a bottle of wine ) 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd and Muska like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Having carefully cleaned, check and then painted the wheel bearing outer case, I then looked at the cost of new ones and decided that having gone to all this trouble so far, new bearings would make so much sense . They  arrived yesterday , but still waiting for hoses and Öhlins, so still on pause. I will get the trailing arms back in, and then replace the wheel arch liners , which I took out and cleaned .Made of really odd stuff. I expected them to be hard plastic, but no, they seem to be some type of very soft and flexible almost fibre like material. However, they do the job so hey ho. 

Obiwanph

Obiwanph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Let us know how you get on with the Ohlins when you get them delivered. From what I understand they’re one of the best suspension kits available.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Delighted to. I am really looking forward to fitting them and trying them out .Suspension is slowly going back on the car, but with my damaged right arm and shoulder, slowly is the operative word. However, as the Ohlins have not yet arrived, I am in no immediate rush.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Progress, albeit not rapid and not complete , but at least most of the clean bits are now back on the car. Still no dampers / springs , so another pause, but getting  closer. In the end, even though my hand held brake pipe flaring tool arrived, I decided to leave the subframe in place, mainly because my arm and wrist are not great. I would have been able to do a much better job of cleaning everything up, but it will still be tidy underneath, which I will have to settle for, 

Attached Files

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Great progress. It's what I really want to do to mine over the winter (note to self, start collecting parts now to lessen the financial blow!)

Edited by Dangerous Dave, 12 July 2020 - 06:05 PM.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

A good plan. All in one go is a bit of a shock. Also, having all the bits before you start will help. I am really glad that I sorted a spare set of all the arms, got them coated and pressed the new bushes in ahead of time. I should have ordered the Öhlins at the same time, but dithered, and now having to wait. VAGBOLTS or your dealer are good for all the bolts you need, on the assumption you decide to replace them all. I have done, but with one or two exceptions, probably a bit OTT . Glad I have done the wheel bearings , and be prepared to refurbish your calipers. Oh, and the disc splash guards. You may be lucky, but mine were quite badly corroded. And get a pair of those short brake pipes that connect caliper to brake hose. The little buggers will destroy themselves at the merest hint of a spanner . 
All the above refers to the rear. Given that I am changing the lower arms and antiroll bar and strut  at the front, there is only the hub carrier, the splash guard , disc, caliper and bearing to worry about . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Calipers painted and rebuilt with lots of shiny bits. New pads arrived. Öhlins promised for this Friday ( we will see) and splashed out on a pair of two piece rear discs. Why the latter?Unsprung  weight. The rear suspension is quite impressive in its layout . The hub and wheel bearing is not too weighty and the brake caliper is alloy, so pretty respectable . Then we get to the disc. Weighty. And then the wheel. The combination of the wheel and the disc weigh slightly more than the moon, so saving a bit on the disc and a lot more on the wheels when I get the Neuspeeds( not ordered yet, and not likely to be just yet either ) should be a good thing . I will find out .

Attached Files

Muska

Muska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

I'm really enjoying your thread, fantastic attention to detail :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Attached File  030BF6AA-513C-4565-B4B9-01F42AB5BB72.jpeg   63.69KB   1 downloadsThank you. That is very kind.However, there are lots of others on here who put me to shame on the detail front . Update is that the ABS sensors are back in place,anti roll bar drop links adjusted and bolted up, splash guards fitted. Dilemma with the latter. Leave them black or spray them a different colour , and if so, what colour . Answers welcome. Oh. Stainless screws  for the sensor and splash guards. I have a big selection sitting in a box so it would have been rude not to use them. VAGBOLTS order on its way for new damper bolts and some more for the front , having realised that replacing the front antiroll bar will involve dropping the subframe about 20 mm and therefore undoing a number of the stretch bolts . The bolts business is getting expensive 

Attached Files

• Muska likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 653 posts

there are lots of others on here who put me to shame on the detail front

Don't kid yourself, this is right up there with the best of the build threads on the forum!  

• Muska likes this

miguelsniper

miguelsniper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Interesting!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Not quite sure when this happened, but some time between Thursday night and Friday morning, I contracted the AT virus, The disturbing consequences, shown below, are not for the faint-hearted , so those of a sensitive or nervous disposition should move on to a different thread immediately .( the AT virus, by the way, is not easy to catch, but once infected, is rather like the Simplex Herpes 2 virus of cold sores: once infected, it remains  in the host for the rest of the hosts’ life ) 

AT = Automotive Tart 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Aaaaggggghhhh. Snag with the discs . They are from the Audi Ttrs/RS3 and should fit. They do but the disc height is incorrect. They should be 48.5mm but are either 6mm too low or 10mm too high depending upon which side of the disc I mount  the bell. So, either I have been sent the incorrect bells, or I have made a mistake with my research . If the latter, then I can make a 6mm spacer to get the caliper carrier centred on the disc. I have checked that everything still fits with the caliper bracket spacer, but a bit unsatisfactory . Phone call on Monday I guess . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

A bit to catch up on. The Öhlins arrived today. They are remarkable , at least to look at. The rears are now installed, so the suspension at the back is now done. Just the brakes to finish, but with my cock-up on the bell offset, could be a delay there. More in a minute on that one. I also fitted the exhaust system that Lucifer supplied about a month ago. I have a resonated system . It came with all the clamps, reducer and a lovely adjustable bracket that bolts onto the lhs of  the back box and allows adjustment of the position. I have to say that the system is extremely well made and fitted absolutely beautifully. Bear in mind that my car is on axle stands at the back so not a huge amount of room . In such situations exhaust fitting can be a real nightmare . This one was an absolute dream. Thank you Michael. 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. Now the brakes. I thought I would upgrade my rear discs and get some two piece ones from Compbrake. I thought that the ones that were for an AudiTTRS or Audi RS3 would fit. Any they do in every way but one, the offset is 10mm too big. My error. However, Combrake can make me some new bells with the right offset, so problem solved. There was another way around but reversing the bell mounting on the disc and then making some 6mm caliper mounting bracket spacers, but not entirely satisfactory. I suppose the good bit about this as that after the bells are made, Combrake will have a Mk5Golf R32 o.e replacement brake disc upgrade to add to their catalogue. 
oh, and the HEL brake lines have arrived, so I have everything ................well nearly .

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Brakes saga. Bespoke bells on order . Could be here tomorrow or in three weeks or anywhere in between . So, made a couple of 6.0mm caliper spacers to allow me to fit the new discs with the ‘wrong’ bells  install the brakes , bleed them and get the car back on the road. Then, when the bells come, easy job to take the calipers off, put the new bells on the discs and put the spacers on the shelf to gather dust. All being well, mobile by Saturday. I am not sure I want to think about the front immediately but no point in sorting the rear wheel alignment until I have , so I guess the front will have to start next week. I am not going to touch the front brakes or hubs for the moment but treat that as a separate ‘project’once the suspension is all sorted, along with corner weights etc. 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And the home made 6mm spacers complete with 6mm longer bolts all set for action. And the bolts.? Peugeot XU10 cyclinder head bolts dragged out of retirement , shortened and pressed into service on a German car . 

Attached Files

• Muska likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And all rebuilt . Brakes bled and wheels ready to go on. I must not forget to do up the drive shaft to hub bolts ( new ones ) to the requisite 200Nm plus 180 degrees. That will be fun. I am very impressed with the HEL brake hoses. They are very well made and fit beautifully. And the fittings are stainless.Top marks to HEL .

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And it works. The exhaust is absolutely wonderful . Everything works. Rear alignment is not correct, but to expected . Rear brakes behaving themselves. Oddly, the back end does not feel super hard or stiff, given the 80N/mm spring rate . God bless Öhlins damping . 
Thank you Lucifer. Excellent resonated exhaust . Just what an OAP with an R32 needs. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Just returned from having the rear tracking and camber done. Needless to say, both were a mile out on both sides.However, I could tell the difference on the drive home . Whilst on the lift, I had a sneak preview of the front end. The anti roll bar is going to be a piece of deep joy to swap . However, everything else looks o.k. The hubs, brake back plates etc look predictably scabby but I will restrain myself and leave them alone for the moment . They will get the attention they deserve when I do the front brakes . The TTRS Brembos that feature in Illegal R32 build look like a lovely upgrade , but pricy new and , from the looks of it, painful, to restore if bought second hand . 
Oh. If anyone gets the urge to rebuild their rear suspension , I have a full set of rear arms looking very sorry for themselves !

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

I have a full set of rear arms looking very sorry for themselves !

Interesting 😏

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

I was toying with the idea of pressing out the old bushes and then getting them blasted and powder coated and then putting them in my loft along with all the other bits of car ( mostly 205gti) that I have. However, if someone on here wants to do what I have done, the blasting and powder coating ( and colour ) cost me £78 I think which I thought was a fair price for the job they did, and the company is really local to me . Then there is the postage which will be at least £25 is the lot together are quite heavy, so the cost to someone would be at least that plus the value of the arms .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.