New owner - Page 5 - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New owner

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And an aside. Perfectly good pair of cats with flexi’s etc. If anyone is in need and can collect, then they will cost you a bottle of red wine. 

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

And an aside. Perfectly good pair of cats with flexi’s etc. If anyone is in need and can collect, then they will cost you a bottle of red wine. 

Would shipping be possible into other country? OEM cats?

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

I imagine it would, but the cost might be frightening , as it is a big package . I will measure up and price up .Yep.o.e cats .

• illegalr32 likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

I imagine it would, but the cost might be frightening , as it is a big package . I will measure up and price up .Yep.o.e cats .

please that would be awesome. as i dont have any cats on my car (thats why i am illegal😂) and some oem cats in reserve would be damn nice

omaru

omaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, if its not feasible to send to illegalr32 or for any other reason, ill be willing to pick it up. Cheers

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Righto. I have messaged Illegal32 who will let me know tomorrow . I will keep you advised. 
Andy

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Hi, if its not feasible to send to illegalr32 or for any other reason, ill be willing to pick it up. Cheers

Afternoon. Illegal has decided against it , so if you want to find your way to Ashbourne, exhaust awaits. PM me and I will give you my address and phone number 

Andy

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Aside . Just got scent of some as new Recarro CS seats on Mk5 Golf frames . My bank account is having a heart attack at even the thought of such a purchase. So, question, any thought on a guide price of a pair of full leather R32 seats with electrically adjustable lumber support, height adjustment , tilt and slide , airbags and , although I have not found the right button yet, will probably also serve a decent espresso . 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Oh. And they are heated . Same element must make the coffee too. 

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Let me know if you pass, I think it will be too much for my wallet at the moment but sounds like an interesting opportunity

Edited by iooroiidvd, 23 October 2020 - 04:30 PM.

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

That's awesome, can't wait to see that installed. CS's are great but in my opinion, which shouldn't count too much of a modern style for the mk5. Otherwise excellent seats, had a few opportunities to try them.

As the OEM seats goes, worth atleast 500€ in my opinion. Saw these going for much more but it's really on you to set the price up. :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thanks for your reply. In one of your posts , you talked about the Recarro Pole position seat. I am see the attraction. The snag, in my eyes, with o.e Wingbacks is that , err, well, they look a bit lardy . The combination of the plastic surrounds makes them look bulky. The aftermarket C S wingbacks are not so encumbered and to my eyes look neater. The pole position seats even more so , but do restrict rear access, hence the compromise on aftermarket CS wingbacks . The ones I have my eye on are just that, aftermarket with the correct subframes, hence the attraction, but do really need to shed my o.e ones ,  mostly as I have insufficient storage space at home ! 
On another topic, really keen to see how you manage to accommodate the wide wheels on your Passat. I have a feeling you did some wheel arch widening. On the Golf, wider front wings are available from SRS but no such option for the rear, so I will read and watch with interest . 

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Let me know if you pass, I think it will be too much for my wallet at the moment but sounds like an interesting opportunity

I will keep you updated . Price is £2300 but includes the correct subframes which are worth £400 for the pair if bought new from Recarro, so the overall price is quite attractive, especially as the seats are as new . 

omaru

omaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Afternoon. Illegal has decided against it , so if you want to find your way to Ashbourne, exhaust awaits. PM me and I will give you my address and phone number 

Andy

Hi Andy,

PM Sent

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Hi Andy,

PM Sent

Hi. PM received . Will reply shortly .

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Seat Dilemma. Just had my grandchildren with me for three days, so I have not followed up the Audi CS wingbacks . Accidentally looked at a pair of Nissan Juke Nismo RS seats which are the the JDM equivalent of the CS we get here . They are Recarro CS wingbacks but in cloth and leather , part of which is in red. They would alter the sedate appearance of the interior . Not sure if they would stunning or naff. 

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Thanks for your reply. In one of your posts , you talked about the Recarro Pole position seat. I am see the attraction. The snag, in my eyes, with o.e Wingbacks is that , err, well, they look a bit lardy . The combination of the plastic surrounds makes them look bulky. The aftermarket C S wingbacks are not so encumbered and to my eyes look neater. The pole position seats even more so , but do restrict rear access, hence the compromise on aftermarket CS wingbacks . The ones I have my eye on are just that, aftermarket with the correct subframes, hence the attraction, but do really need to shed my o.e ones ,  mostly as I have insufficient storage space at home ! 
On another topic, really keen to see how you manage to accommodate the wide wheels on your Passat. I have a feeling you did some wheel arch widening. On the Golf, wider front wings are available from SRS but no such option for the rear, so I will read and watch with interest . 

I see your points about the seats. If that's what you like, defo go for it especially with the perfect fit :)

Yeah Passat has some extreme body work, which I would never do to such a classic car like the R32 is, especially the rear arch widening ;)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Decided to pass. Lovely seats in mint condition with the right runners , but they are in all black leather rather than grey. They are on Facebook market place . Seller is a very helpful man called Jamie , in Whitehaven, Cumbria . 

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Bit of an ‘out of sync ‘ update on wheels and induction kit . Big brake upgrade was paused as the brakes I have will not fit behind the o.e wheels without spacers. Anyway, in the end I opted for some Compomotive TH2 with 45mm offset. Motorsport wheel really but I like them ( Integrale days !!!!!!!) . I tried a wheel on my front hub/ disc / caliper mock up that is sitting on the bench ( all shiny and new) and the wheel cleared with yards to spare , so with that I got the tyres swapped over yesterday afternoon and parted with the o.e wheels last evening . 
This morning I thought I would fit the Forge induction kit that I bought some time ago. Plus side is that it looks nice, walked in and even sounds quite interesting. Downside is that Lucifer is absolutely right. It is a cheap and nasty bit of hardware which Forge charge handsomely for , although the hoses and clips are o.k   
Filthy weather so looks like a turbo trainer day . Bugger . 

Attached Files

• filbro, iooroiidvd, Muska and 1 other like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And an addition. Not to everyone’s ( anyone’s) taste but I like them 🙂

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Lovely wheels. :) Closed but they look nice

Forge is a bit pricey but I think it is well made. The carbon is "real" carbon, that's what they said when I asked if it can be lacquered. It's huge and it looks nice :D

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

You are right about the size of the air filter canister . Pretty large . As for the wheels, I did not quite have the nerve to order them in Bronze, but perhaps I should. Anyway, something to think about , especially over the next month when we here is the u.k are about to enter into our second full lockdown. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. Brake upgrade began today ( Oh, wonder why today then ) . I started with a check on the new rotors, brackets , calipers and hubs, in the sense that I did a dummy build to check that (a) the rotor was in the centre of the caliper line and (cool.png that the caliper was parallel to the rotor .  Other are easy to adjust with suitable shims, but worth checking , particularly point (cool.png Anyway , caliper off centre by less that 0.3 mm and out of parallel by 0.1mm . As my thinnest shim stock is 0.25mm I will definitely live with (cool.png and correct (a) just because I can, not because it is really necessary . So far so good for Combrake . [ Remember, this is not a ‘high end ‘ big brake upgrade. The calipers are 6pots with 28/28/40 mm pistons, giving an area less than the o.e caliper, so good for pedal travel ] . The caliper itself is very light ( 2.3kg) but how rigid much harder to tell by looking, but I will find out soon after first use. The rotors are two piece and pretty well made, bolted together   beautifully and have a negligible run -out , so should be o.k. Pad choice is great as I have both DS2500 and Mintex 1144 and some nonedescriipt Far Eastern ones that are designated ‘fast road’ 

Next stage was to dismantle each front brake . Pictures tell part of the story. What I have not yet photographed are the cleaned up back plates , hose mounting brackets, drive shafts and steering arms. 
I also need to check out the pad wear sensor as the new pads do not have one and will therefore need to convince the ECU that (a) I do have one and (cool.png the pads are fine . 

Attached Files

• filbro and illegalr32 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Small update . Back plates and cable/hose brackets cleaned and given a coat of POR15 along with the end of the drive shafts and the steering arms. Back plates now rubbed down ready for top coat, not that they will be seen as the 350mm discs completely obscure them. Oh, new track rod ends to go on too . The old ones turned out to be fine, but they are inexpensive and as I have replaced so much else , seemed a bit shorted sighted not to do those too. 

Attached Files

• filbro and iooroiidvd like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Day 2 Backplates have their top coat, but you will have to wait for that! Mounting brackets for the calipers installed on the hubs. I used some new o.e bolts but, as they were going into an aluminium bracket, I used a drop of Locktite and  80Nm . Both  hubs now back on their struts with wishbones ball joints attached . Brake pad wear sensor bypass research. Looks as if most people simply cut the sensor off the end of the connector and solder the two leads together to give a short circuit. I measured the resistance with the sensor in then

and got 9ohms , so as I had a 6 ohm resistor ‘in stock’ I have used that to present the ECU with a resistance closer to the sensor value, as I assume it supplies  a tiny current to the sensor circuit and pops the light on when the circuit goes open and the current falls to zero ( ie the disc contacts the sensor and breaks continuity . 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Excellent work as always Andy. I love how clean new everything looks air_kiss.gif

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Unfortunately it does not stay like it . I think I may do like Benz and get a spare rear subframe over the winter , prep and powder coat and then replace my existing one. All the bits attached to it are clean and powder coated except the diff, so it would be a nice thing to do . In fact , rear subframes with diffs come up for sale reasonably frequently , so it would be fun to strip and rebuild one . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Day 3 part one. First, bloody cold in my garage with the doors open , and as the car is half in, half out , it is the way things are. Health warning. Some viewers may find some of the following images upsetting as they may contain certain things that some find offensive. I will just attach the photos for now and add commentary later .

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Well, is there a happy ending ? Read on . During the rebuild, I tried to use new stainless set screws/ bolts in low stress areas .They look nice, come off again easily and resist corrosion. Only snag is that I had to shorten most of them , which adds to the time. Brakes bled using my new Sealey one person brake bleeder. It is excellent . So I have made my wife redundant after  nearly forty years of dedicated and conscientious service . Must get her a clock for a retirement gift . 
As for the Combrake kit. Overall, quite impressed with it as a package . The combined caliper, bracket , disc and pads offer a weight saving of nearly 10kg per side . More on that subject in a while. I used new HEL hoses as I had bought a full car kit when I did the rear brakes some time ago. Cop brake supply some hoses but, despite their kit being ‘for the Mk5 Golf’ the hose is not quite correct in the sense that , at the body end where hose connects to steel brake pipe, they just used an ordinary female connector rather than the special assymetric hose collar that neatly locates on the tab on the inner wing. A small point but using the hose supplied would have been a fiddle to get located satisfactorily . The HEL lines on the other hand are superb and fit like a dream . 
On the caliper , the pads are located by a neat , double bolt bridge which probably adds to caliper rigidity . Anyway , pleased with that ando no pad rattle .The caliper design is very close to K sport or indeed  AP. Indeed , the pads I am using have an AP reference . 
  So, what are they like? They look quite nice. Having had one journey to and from the local Selecta Tyre to get the tracking reset my first reaction was that I need to bleed the brakes again and this time do the rears too, but , they stop the car, they are significantly more progressive and less ‘on-off . Do they stop the car in a shorter distance ? Nope . Are they more powerful? Nope. But they are nicer to use because they respond more linearly to pedal effort ( caveat here , big servo in the way so we are not talking twin cylinders and balance bar type progression ) but an improvement . Oh, and the big difference which really surprised me ; the car rides poor road surfaces much better , particularly at commute type speeds. Saving a couple of Kg on wheels and the thick end of 10kg on the brakes gives the suspension much more control on the unsprung bit . Unsprung weight rules ( or the lack of it does ) .

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Another aside. The discs I removed look almost brand new and the calipers are in good condition.Quite surprised to find that, given the size of the caliper, the pads are not that big .Anyway,I will  clean them up I think and put them on the ‘for sale’ page . 

• iooroiidvd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.