New owner - Page 7 - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New owner

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Excellent job on the seats sir. They really look awesome and I was always amazed by how thin these are. I bet they hold you into place very good :)

Moving on with customizing things I guess good.gif

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

They do. The difference between them and the o.e ones is quite remarkable . The o.e ones are very comfortable, but compared to the Recarros , they feel like an armchair . Because of my now pathetically weak right shoulder, having said shoulder supported makes driving much easier and more pleasant . I am really pleased with the result, although I appreciate that they are not everyone’s cup of tea. 
I have briefly thought about getting the rears re trimmed to match, but that is a very low priority , if at all . 
The only thing I am not quite sure about is the height. I will drive it for a while before deciding. It is relatively easy to lower the drivers seat at the price of removing the height adjustment .

In the meantime , other things to work on , especially the rear brakes and the rear end rebuild with subframe out . Having the whole of the back end of the car absolutely pristine is really tempting, even though I appreciate that it will get dirty. However, once everything is powder coated and/ plated , cleaning is easy . I also keep looking at the Verkline subframe ...............

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Slightly diverted by the arrival of a package from Maxton designs this morning. Cupra R front splitter . Have to say I am impressed with the quality of the product, it’s fit , the instructions and the decent quality bolts provided. There were 16 of them, and I have none left, so I am fairly confident that the splitter will not come off in a stiff breeze . I am really pleased with the outcome, and it was a quick and simple job to attach. 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 698 posts

Love it, need more photos from a distance though :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Agreed I will get a few tomorrow with the car outside the garage . 

• iooroiidvd likes this

daveyboy

daveyboy

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationTORQUAY
Looks good. Is it easy enough to fit? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Yes. With two provisos. The lower vents and the grill both need to be removed. And, as you might have seen in one photo, I have a right angle drive adaptor on my drill. This means I could drill vertically from underneath without puts the front of the car onto stands .Without one, the car would need to go up in the air by a few inches to give unfettered access. But otherwise, a nice easy and rewarding job. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

An attempt at a better photograph. I have come to the conclusion that my camera work is , err, how shall I put it, shite . 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd and illegalr32 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The next stage. I had in the back of my mind a rear brake upgrade to match the front. I was also slightly disappointed with myself when I rebuilt the rear suspension and brakes and fitted the Ohlins as I bottled out of removing the subframe and doing a ‘proper job’ . So, beginning to plan the rear brake changes, aided and abetted by Illegal32. And this time the subframe is coming out. Small in situ brake pipe flaring tool and even smaller brake pipe cutting tool primed and ready for action. Also  in the process of refurbishing a pair of driveshafts that came with the Tdi 4 motion rear suspension so they will also be ready before any dismantling takes place. 
The slightly more tricky bit is my plans to re engineer the Epytec kit that was designed to enable Brembo 4 pot rear calipers from the Cayenne  Q7/Touareg to clamp some 356mm discs from an Audi A6 Quattro ( or the RS7) and then the o.e  brake caliper becomes the handbrake. What I am trying to do is to use the calipers from the tdi as handbrake calipers , which require one adaptor to be re designed and also reconfigure the mounting points on the main adaptor , for reasons that I will explain with photos in due course. 
Using the Tdi calipers is not quite straight forward as (a) they were designed to operate on a 260mm disc and the Epytec adaptor is designed to move the R32 caliper which is, of course, designed for a 310mm rotor and (B) the tdi disc is 12mm thick and not the 22mm of the R32/ Rs7 . And why do this, ? Well, one I have them and two, more importantly, this way the o.e brakes , with carriers and two piece rotors, that have done about 2500 miles since new are then intact as a complete rear brake replacement / upgrade that may be of use to others . The easy way is just to use my R32 calipers , but ...........

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd and Benzz like this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Gotta catch up. I love the front splitter that is not too big and bulky and actually looks a nice addition to the front :)

About customizing rears, you already know you are doing an amazing job so keep us updated :D

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Yet another aside. As part of the rear end rebuild and the fact that when I acquired a spare rear suspension from a tdi 4 motion, I thought it would be interesting to pull the final drive apart, with the view to rebuilding the differential part and just transplanting my Haldex when the moment arrives. That would speed up the rebuild of the back end . 
Anyway, the Haldex pops out as a complete unit . Then the casing splits equally easily. The only little curve is the removal of the drive shaft flanges. They are located by snap rings . The trick is to collect one piece of steel, 200mmx15mmx10mm, into which one drills two 8mm holes spaced to take a pair of drive shaft bolts . Loosely bolt the bar onto the flange and then give it a decent thump with  an even more decent hammer. The shaft obliges by popping out. Then the case can be split , the diff and crownwheel drop out as a unit . Spare oil seals are available , but from the looks of it , not much else . Ideally , I would change the diff bearings, a.though in fairness they look absolutely fine. One thing I am not sure about is the oil spec for the diff ( not the Haldex which is separate ) , so if anyone on here k laws what oil should be used in the diff, I am all ears . 

oh. The casings. Attacked with a ridiculous amount of brake and clutch cleaner , wire brush and bad languages and now soaking  in the equivalent of a hot bath in the form of a parts washer complete with 30litres of Jizer . 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Stop press. Found the oil 75W90 , so pretty standard stuff. There are both drain and fill plugs on the casing to enable the gear oil to be changed . Everyone knows about the Haldex oil but the diff oil ? 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Rear brake upgrade update . The tdi4 motion calipers and carriers now modified to suit a 22mm disc ( rather than. 12mm) , cleaned and ready for paint . The 4 pot Brembos likewise ready for paint, so that is the next job. Seals , pistons, pads, clips, anti squeal shims etc all ready for action after the paint has hardened . Still waiting for the 356mm discs and the diff seals to arrive, along with some more suspension ‘goodies’ but more of that later . The engineering shop has not yet set too on my modified caliper adaptor, but they do have full drawings. He hopes to do the job for me next week, although he said that last week..........

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd, illegalr32 and Benzz like this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Love the progress as usual Andy, you've been hard at work and very consistent in the quality/finish of each addition. 

I am looking to order some K-sports, they have a 15% off on their site at the moment.. thinking of 356 discs floating design, just hope they fit ok behind my wheels... I will consider spacers but only hub-centric.. I had proper branded spacers on the M140i and after 2 months (600 ish miles over winter) I went to remove them for proper offset alloys and they had seized on to the hub angry.png

Looking forward to seeing your build progress, lets see how the rear subframe task goes... 

I plan to buy a used one in the next few months and then get that sand blasted/coated along with new rear arms etc coated as well, then pop new polybushes and transplant if it works out as well as I hope!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Message sent 

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Awesome as always Andy! First time I saw diff splitted :) Interesting, isn't the oil in diff lifetime - no change needed?

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

That is what I had read too. However, pulling one apart rather forces ones hand on the oil change front. What surpridpsed me was that there is clearly a fill and a drain plug , so somebody at VW must have at least planned on the possibility . Mind you , the rear diff has an easy life given that for a good proportion of the time, the Haldex clutch is preventing drive getting from prop shaft to pinion . 

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Bit of an update on the brakes. Etch primer followed by blue paint now where it should be.( 2 pack) I will let it all really harden off before I rebuild them all with new bits. Diff seals on their way so when they arrive I can rebuild the diff, and I have painted the drive shafts so I can pit the new inner and outer joints on some time next week. That will be another preparation job ticked off .

And now for the New Year challenge quiz. The quiz is ‘ what the hell is Andy trying to make now ‘ quiz. First photograph below. I think that my chances of success are well below 50% but I had the steel so I thought I would try something . As it progresses I will add photographs . 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And the next two . The result of a few hours in the garage with hacksaw, pillar drill, angle grinder and welder 

Attached Files

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3461 posts
Excellent thread Andy..keep up the good work

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thank you. Your comments much appreciated . Few more photographs. The drive shafts are built up and ready to fit . Effectively they are new but at nothing like the cost of new ones, as the individual inner and outer joints are not that expensive. I bought two pairs which come complete with absolutely everything including the cv joint grease and it cost about £110 . Even get the new outer bolts and they are over a fiver a pop . 
I have also done a bit more on the handbrake calipers. Pistons now reassembled and installed with new seals and dust boots . If I do not include the paint , these calipers will have cost £35 for the pair to fully rebuild, with another £9 for the pad shims and £25 for the pads , given that they came with the rear suspension from the tdi as a bonus 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Brembos now complete apart from pads and a hydraulic pipe . A bit frustrated wit the finish on these , but they are acceptable.When I painted the handbrake calipers I accidentally used slightly less harder than I should have done. The results are really good. The paint flattened out nicely and left a good finish, For the Brembos , I used the correct ratio, left it to stand for 10 minutes and then used it. It began to go ‘off’ too fast and left a less even finish. However, once installed behind some wheels that is not going to show, but it is irritating 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd, Muska and illegalr32 like this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Good work as always Andy. Renewed shafts really look like new ones :D

Cracking price on rear calipers that's for sure!

I really think that the pride and joy of being a car enthusiast is in DIY jobs and you Andy, definitely are taking the whole DIY thing with adding your touches, on the next level!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Cheers. I think I am probably being a bit over ambitious with the rear brake modifications as they have led me down  an ‘even more fabrication ‘ route which may or may not work. I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow so all can see what I am up to and where I have got to so far. Lovely dry sunny day here today so a nice day to work outside with the angle grinder and associated cutting tools on a workmate . Really cold mind but it saves making a mess in the garage . I also managed a quick ‘essential journey ‘ in the R32 , just as far as the local recycling centre . I am sooo pleased with the seats. They are really nice to sit in . You too will absolutely love yours . And yours will be a breeze to fit ! Do not forget , if yours is a 2006 model, you will probably need some 4.7ohm 1 watt resistors and the yellow connectors with the orange clip. Unless you can get to a breakers yard and find any old Mk5 golf or golf variant with the yellow/ orange connector and cut it off with about 10cm of the leads .That makes life really easy and dead cheap . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And the results of a prototype rear lower wishbone. It solves two problems, neither of which need to be solved this way, if at all. The first is that my Ohlins coil springs are 65mm I.d and do not locate terribly well in the dustbin sized spring pan. The second is my big rear brake upgrade and adaptor modification, which involves making use of the damper mounting to offer a third location for the adaptor. The damper could still attach to the hub, albeit via a spacer , this way the damper bolts to the lower arm ( rather like the mk7 golf ) but has to rotate 90 degrees because the arm  rotates in an arc about its inner mounting point, whereas the hub moves more or less in a vertical plane ( to minimise camber change under suspension deflection. ) .

Anyway, the photographs tell the story. I might try another prototype in tube . That choice makes inner and outer bush mounting easier but spring pan location ( and damper ) harder . Or maybe not. 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And then there were two. Not quite sure if these arms will end up underneath a Mk5 golf or on top of the scrap metal bin . Dimensionally, they are the same as an O.E arm. I think that the damper mount will work, although I do need  to try one for size just to check .If all is well, it does make my modified brake adaptor much easier both to make and to fit. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And then there were two. Not quite sure if these arms will end up underneath a Mk5 golf or on top of the scrap metal bin . Dimensionally, they are the same as an O.E arm. I think that the damper mount will work, although I do need  to try one for size just to check .If all is well, it does make my modified brake adaptor much easier both to make and to fit. 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Diff oil seals arrived this morning and we offered a new home almost immediately . One rebuilt diff later ....... The plan is to simply swap over my Haldex when I drop my diff out and had a nice clean rebuilt one ready to go back in, together with driveshafts . 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 698 posts

Diff oil seals arrived this morning and we offered a new home almost immediately . One rebuilt diff later ....... The plan is to simply swap over my Haldex when I drop my diff out and had a nice clean rebuilt one ready to go back in, together with driveshafts . 

I lost track of if you have a new haldex already?

They have a tendency to go pop due to water ingress/damage but there is a company that will refurb and improve them to protect against it happening, might be worth considering.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Nope. The one that came with the diff is completely unknown. The one on my car has a genuine service history and 58000 miles under its belt, so all I had planned to do is to clean it , remove it , pop it on the rebuilt diff and fill it with fresh oil and a clean filter .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.