New owner - Page 8 - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New owner

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

As a break from making brake caliper adaptors , I thought I would fit my newly arrived Polar FIS ( Many thanks to Illegal r32 who made all this happen for me... much appreciated ) . Anyway, firmware update duly done , I though I would spend a happy ten minutes removing the panel beneath the pedals and plugging in the Polar . An hour later I came to the conclusion that despite removing said panel, Un clipping the relay box and standing on my head in the footwell, there was now way on this earth that my hand was going to get anywhere near the plug on the canbus gateway , let alone unplug it and plug the Polar in place. 
Fortunately this wonderful forum rode to my rescue in the form of a post from some time ago from someone who had met the same problem. Solution is to remove the wiper arms, plastic scuttle panel, windscreen wiper motor and drive and an access panel . Beneath lurks the Canbus gateway . Now knocked off for tea, so battery disconnect in the morning, quick plug swap and I will be one Polar Fis to the good. 

Attached Files

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Round 2. Fitted really easily. The only hard bit is fiddling the wiper motor gear back into place. Oh, and the scuttle panel. A cracking upgrade. Really nice to have temperatures, pressures, speed etc all digitally displayed and all controlled via the steering wheel. Really neat upgrade I would recommend to anyone 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. Warm glow of the Polar Fis has not worn off, but back to the rear brakes. The next step in this labyrinthine journey is the brackets that hold the Tdi calipers. I had to make new ones as these calipers are smaller than the R32 ones. Several hours with the pillar drill, hacksaw and files and one pair of brackets appeared. Not quite as elegant as the Epytec ones for the R32 calipers , but at £9.34 for two pieces of aluminium plate 120x100x15mm ,not quite as expensive either .  

Attached Files

Richyo

Richyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Great build Andy, seems like a really thorough job you’re doing! Seems like you and the R32 had a lovely Valentine’s Day! 🥰

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

It certainly did . Mrs Wright got flowers and chocolates but I think that the car got the better deal! Anyway, bespoke rear brake hoses from Epytec arrived this morning.  Beautifully made and absolutely ideal. Just waiting for one more item and the rear ended strip and rebuild is set to go . 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Final roll of the dice with these wishbones. Prototype one went in the bin I cocked up the spring pan height , setting the base of coil spring too high to leave me any adjustment . Prototype two had more promise. It fitted, it had the damper mounting and the spring seat would still have left me with another 15mm of lowering potential if needed. Snag was (a) it weighed 1.5kg more than the o.e arm and (cool.png it looked as if it was designed to be in the middle of a field being towed by a Massey Ferguson . So that hit the bin. The latest iteration still needs a little coil spring centring ring in the middle of the pan and the damper mount, but as , at the moment it is 0.5 kg lighter than the o.e arm, a bit of a result. It also does not look quite so agricultural and , once powder coated , might even look half  decent . However, VW probably spent a lot of time and effort designing the wishbone to take the axial and vertical loads and cost 50p  to make . They used 2.2mm thick steel , and the wishbone is primarily a pressing with a top welded in place . I, on the other hand,used 50x30x3mm box steel , fired up my pocket calculator and did some beam strength calculations, primarily in bending and torsion , which is all well and good but with a fold  and weld in the middle , half the beam stiffness is lost.  Mind you , at just over 1000kg load per mm of deflection and a pin joint  failure at 6000kg( when the bolted joint at the hub end gives in ) , perhaps it will do .In the meantime, I have nearly finished my modified caliper adaptors which retain the damper mount on the hub, so prototype three is definitely the last one and is also probably destined for the scrap bin . 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Time for an update .Brake adaptor and hub modification complete , so powder coating is the next stop. The photos below are my attempt to show and explain what the original Epytec adaptors looked like and how my modified ones look . Also finished the lower wishbones so I will have a choice of mounting the dampers back on the hub, clamping the adaptor, or mounting them on the wishbone. I will do a trial fit and decide when I am rebuilding . 
Anyway, why re eingineer the adaptor when the Epytec one would work well and be more that sufficient for the task? 
Answer. The Epytec adaptor is mounted via the two 14mm bolts that originally held the o.e caliper . Nothing wrong with that , except that now the braking force is on the opposite side of the disc, and the disc diameter has increased from 310 to 356mm , so that the torque applied via the caliper and through the adaptor will have increased by at least a factor of 5, and that assumes that the Brembo caliper applies the same braking force as the o.e slider . On top of that , the caliper centre of force application is offset axially something like 50mm from its bolt location , so upon braking, the forces try to twist the adaptor both around the axle line ( clockwise rotation ) and anti-clockwise longitudinally towards the car centre line . Ok. It is made of 15mm steel plate but only located at one extreme by two bolts. It will flex. That is life ( Isaac is never wrong , well, not when it comes to mechanical forces on everyday objects ) .

So, the Andy Wright adaptor is in alloy but bolted in three places , the third one doubling up as the damper location ( or not depending on the decision in the opening paragraph ) . Further , the two steel ‘pillar’ spacers I have replaced with a single ally spacer which gives a much more positive seating for the caliper on the adaptor and it better placed to resist the twisting moments . 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Managed to ‘mock up’ the offside rear brake setup today. Looks as if everything works, even the tdi rear brake calipers( although the one in the picture is upside down ) , so my brackets seem to work, but the calipers in the correct location and allow the use of the modified brake caliper adaptor . I will check the other side, just in case ........, but then a trip to the powder coaters seems to be in order. 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

And just in case anyone is wondering why I have gone to the faff of modifying the tdi calipers to fit , well two reasons. The first is that they came free of charge along with a diff, frame , arms etc and the hubs , the latter being the only bits I really wanted and the second is that when I bought the car last June the rear brakes were not brilliant, so I bought some nice two piece rotors and some rebuilt calipers . As I will be using the tdi ones as my handbrake , I will be able to sell the R32 calipers and 2 piece rotors ( and the Hel brake hoses ) as a package as it make a nice upgrade for lesser Golfs . 

• iooroiidvd likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

An update. Bits back from the powder coaters and I guess the pictures tell most of the story. The trailing arms, anti roll bar, drop links and Ohlins springs and dampers are still,on the car and will be re used. The trailing arms are already powder coated in the same grey, and the ARB is a Superpro item in blue. With new bolts, the wheel,bearings will get re used  as they are only 8 months old . A new brake line to make and a slight modification to the brackets that Verkline supply to support the brake hoses, as they do not fit the Epytec hoses very well. 
I had hoped to do this job during lockdown, so I am not quite sure now when I will actually crack on and strip out the back end. It will take the car off the road for a while, just at the point when I really want to use it much more regularly. ( not least getting me and my bike to my weekly cycling club time trials and circuit races . ) 

Attached Files

• iooroiidvd likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Holy moly what have I missed while I was inactive mega_shok.gif

First of all. Funny to read all your write down's with a lot of commical inserts rofl.gif

Second: rear brakes. An awesome work to be honest! I think imma go ahead and read it all again from the start of the rear brake upgrade because some questions are turning up in my head. But still. Looks sexy with them wavy discs!

Third: rear subframe. Love your effort in the rear suspension of the car. You think and work as an engineer, trying to make things better than they are meant to be. I am really looking forward to see what you will have to say once everything gets mounted and tested on the road! good.gif

• iooroiidvd likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 698 posts

Such an unbelievable thread, in equal parts inspiring and humbling 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Thank you both for your very kind comments . Well, the devil is in the detail. Little excursion into the garage this afternoon to have a more detailed look at brake hose and pipe mounting. As the Brembo is on the opposite side of the hub, my nearly new Hel brake hoses might make an artistic statement but are going to fall short of their primary role of transmitting hydraulic fluid from rigid pipe to caliper. In other words, the buggers are too short. However, Epytec have come to the rescue in the form of some bespoke hoses with the correct fittings for the caliper and the solid  brake line. Their rescue does , however, come at a price, €125 to be exact. I know . .............pause for bursts of Anglo Saxon expletives . Right.Moving on. One end of the hose is designed to fit into a neat angle bracket on the side of the subframe . Verkline supply a pair and I have a pair from an old subframe. I have no idea what Verkline were copying when they made their bracket. Could have been a Ford Mondeo but it was not a Mk5 Golf. See the first photograph 

On the left is the Verkline, centre is VAG and on the right is the AWB ( andy Wright bracket ) . Does the hose end fit the  Verkline bracket? Does it knickers? Does it fit the VAG bracket? Like hell it does . The problem is that Epytec have made the end of the hose fitting circular, no flats, no notches, no groves for a clip, so I am not quite sure how they imagine their hose end to be located , hence the need for an AWB ( Oh, just in case you are wondering , does the o.e hose fit the Verkline bracket? Nope. In fact , it passes straight through its supposed location hole , rendering said bracket about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 
Back to the plot. The AWB has a hole just the correct diameter to take the hose end, and then I very carefully I put a couple of grooves on the fitting to take the VAG spring clip. Seems to work, so as my Cipper/nickel brake pipe has arrived, I can now crack on with doing what I thought was a 15 minute job and lay in some solid pipe across the subframe . 
And I guess this is the lesson.,Stay with o.e exactly as God and Volkswagen intended, and everything fits. Sometimes the jobs are difficult ( rust, access , those sodding stretch bolts that seem to be done up to about 1000 ft.lb ) etc, but everything will work. Start down the route of modification and one quickly learns why car manufacturers spend years and millions designing and developing a car prior to going into production. 
However, trying to improve on the original and compensate for the inevitable compromises that mainstream manufacturers have to make is all part of the fun. ( although at €125 for a pair of brake hoses that did not fit , the sound of my laughter was not echoing around Ashbourne ) 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.