Rust warranty - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Rust warranty

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Johnston

Johnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi folks. So my mk5 R32 was registered 27th May 2008. So she is just outside of the 12 year warranty period for paint. And of course I have noticed on the 6th of June precisely some bubbles on the front passenger wing. I have tried one VW dealer who wouldn’t even hear me out and said ‘ah well your outside your 12 year warranty so can’t help’. Even though the rust would have started within the 12 year warranty period. Has anyone any experience or how I would go about challenging this?thanks

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5446 posts
Even when the cars were in warrenty, making any body work claims were a nightmare, and most often not cost effective.

You only need to Google search a few key words like VW golf rust paintwork warrenty etc and you'll find loads of threads on just this matter.

In most cases if the rust is the front wings , then just get it done thru a body shop and buy new wings

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow
You don’t have a hope in hell claiming vw after the 12 years

cascade20

cascade20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I got mind done all free of charge through VW about 2 months before the 12 year warranty expired. I think it depends on where you are located in the UK with how lucky you get with your local dealer tbh.

350Nick

350Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWest Yorks

Whilst having a new rear bumper fitted at a vw dealers after being rear ended, i asked how much it would be to have new front wings both sides as i had small amount of bubbles appearing. the body shop manager rang me to say they had done the bumper under the insurance and replaced both wings. I was a bit shocked when he said about the wings being replaced as they didn't give me a price before doing the work, however when he said they had done them under warranty i was even more shocked. Car was still just inside the 12 yr corrosion warranty at the time.

P19_MUF

P19_MUF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thought I would share my experience regarding the rust warranty.
I went to my local dealership(near St Albans) this morning to try and get both my wings sorted under warranty which runs out November 13th.
Spoke to the warranty guy and their body shop guy to be told not a hope in hell due to the fact I have only owned the car for a couple of months and would have purchased it knowing the rust was present, if I had owned it for a good number of years vw would have authorised it. Apparently the corrosion warranty is 10 years for edge and surface with 2 years goodwill and 12 years for through rust. I have read quite a bit on the net including VWs terms and conditions on their own website and haven't been able to find any reference to this. Am I being fobbed off? If this is the case it is what it is and I will have to put my hand in my pocket, I'm happy to spend the money if I have too I love the car. I'm not ready to give up yet

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

Thought I would share my experience regarding the rust warranty.
I went to my local dealership(near St Albans) this morning to try and get both my wings sorted under warranty which runs out November 13th.
Spoke to the warranty guy and their body shop guy to be told not a hope in hell due to the fact I have only owned the car for a couple of months and would have purchased it knowing the rust was present, if I had owned it for a good number of years vw would have authorised it. Apparently the corrosion warranty is 10 years for edge and surface with 2 years goodwill and 12 years for through rust. I have read quite a bit on the net including VWs terms and conditions on their own website and haven't been able to find any reference to this. Am I being fobbed off? If this is the case it is what it is and I will have to put my hand in my pocket, I'm happy to spend the money if I have too I love the car. I'm not ready to give up yet

It doesn’t matter how long you’ve owned the car so the guy is talking through his arse go back and tell him that

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5446 posts
If it's rusty front wings, just get them done at a body shop rather than try warrenty

P19_MUF

P19_MUF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I have just re-read the warranty T&Cs and it does say 12 year through corrosion warranty but no mention of 10 years surface and Edge plus 2 years goodwill. My wings have only just started going one can barely be noticed from side on and the other only from looking underneath , then you have to proper look. Think I will give VW uk a ring, I can't bring myself to give so easily,

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

I have just re-read the warranty T&Cs and it does say 12 year through corrosion warranty but no mention of 10 years surface and Edge plus 2 years goodwill. My wings have only just started going one can barely be noticed from side on and the other only from looking underneath , then you have to proper look. Think I will give VW uk a ring, I can't bring myself to give so easily,

VW Fcuked themselves with this not altering the Website in regards to (Paint) warranty.
Its now of 10yrs, no more 12.

And in order to have the car done your car had to have been going dealership for services etc or you havent a nelly to stand on.

MJ

<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

P19_MUF

P19_MUF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I spoke with a guy who lives near me with a Mk5 gti and he was in the exact same situation may last year and got refused due to not owning the car long enough so I have decided to buy some original wings and get them done. It is what it is and the cars worth spending on

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5446 posts
VW UK only pay dealers for like the first few years of warrenty work.
.after that it comes down to the dealer to cough up /cover the cost

This is why you're told all sorts of bs by the dealer's to get out of paint warrenty work.

Things like

No full service history - because you've not lined their pockets

Not owned the car long enough - see above.

50 percent of paints and parts costs covered - see above.

List goes on.

From the quotes they give for the costs you might aswell get OEM wings painted at a decent body shop yourself rather than going thru vw who will most likely be using a local body shop anyway
  • MJVR6 and P19_MUF like this

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

I spoke with a guy who lives near me with a Mk5 gti and he was in the exact same situation may last year and got refused due to not owning the car long enough so I have decided to buy some original wings and get them done. It is what it is and the cars worth spending on

If you are up by St Albans, I can recommend a a Bodyshop in Harpenden that we use.
Speak to Kieran. (Owner).

http://www.hcandp.co.uk/

MJ

• P19_MUF likes this
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

P19_MUF

P19_MUF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks, I will check them out
  • MJVR6 likes this

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Thanks, I will check them out

Im assuming your close by to me, WIngs I can get for £130 per corner from VW, Just collect from mines if needed.
Think its £150 retail.

MJ

'Built Not Bought'.

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

VW Fcuked themselves with this not altering the Website in regards to (Paint) warranty.
Its now of 10yrs, no more 12.
And in order to have the car done your car had to have been going dealership for services etc or you havent a nelly to stand on.
MJ

Services have nothing to do with the rust warranty

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

VW UK only pay dealers for like the first few years of warrenty work.
.after that it comes down to the dealer to cough up /cover the cost
This is why you're told all sorts of bs by the dealer's to get out of paint warrenty work.
Things like
No full service history - because you've not lined their pockets
Not owned the car long enough - see above.
50 percent of paints and parts costs covered - see above.
List goes on.
From the quotes they give for the costs you might aswell get OEM wings painted at a decent body shop yourself rather than going thru vw who will most likely be using a local body shop anyway

Vw pay a body shop for the work regardless of all of your list you’ve been listening to the dealer or body shop

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Services have nothing to do with the rust warranty

As far as I know when I've put cars through Alan Day, if there is no service or work done in in any dealerships (Service History) and depending on time of ownership they will not entertain it. 
That's as far as I know. 

MJ

'Built Not Bought'.

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

As far as I know when I've put cars through Alan Day, if there is no service or work done in in any dealerships (Service History) and depending on time of ownership they will not entertain it. 
That's as far as I know. 
MJ

Then quickly show them a manual and ask what page states I need full history for the rust warranty to be covered

Dealers and body shops managers try every bullshit possible to get out of doing it but when challenged most will eventually get it done I’ve had 3 different cars done through the years from Vw and Audi

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5446 posts
If they got paid for doing it by VW UK they would do it and not put up a fight to every single customer that tries to claim.

There has to be a reason why they don't wanna do warrenty work - they either don't get paid or they get pennies and it's just not worth it .

No one works for free in this game

P19_MUF

P19_MUF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
The warranty guy told me he would be happy to put it through because its revenue for them as well as him loving the car and being a vw nut but VW would reject it. Who knows what the truth.

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

If they got paid for doing it by VW UK they would do it and not put up a fight to every single customer that tries to claim.
There has to be a reason why they don't wanna do warrenty work - they either don't get paid or they get pennies and it's just not worth it .
No one works for free in this game

Vw done both my mk5s no problem but Audi dragged there heels over my s3 they came out with every excuse in the book then tried the 50/50 approach then after a nice letter to Audi uk they couldn’t get my car in quick enough even though the body shop manager was raging it was actually being done

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5446 posts

Vw done both my mk5s no problem but Audi dragged there heels over my s3 they came out with every excuse in the book then tried the 50/50 approach then after a nice letter to Audi uk they couldn’t get my car in quick enough even though the body shop manager was raging it was actually being done

That's what im saying

If they are rejecting warrenty work it's because it's not worth their while, meaning they don't get paid by headoffice or they don't get paid enough for the work.

There has to be a reason why any business don't take on work, it's not because of an asshole dealer or manager. It has to be about the money

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.