Newbie Head unit Replacement - In Car Entertainment - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie Head unit Replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Defjam3

Defjam3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

G'Day all.

I have a 2008 R32 MkV that I love, but it is basically stock and I'm looking at a replacement head unit to get telephone and music connectivity specifically over Android Auto.

I've seen posts about the gateway and battery drain, and also a few questions about microphone placement. Looking for some advise.

Firstly I have had three head units recommended to me:

Wondering if anyone has experience with any of these units?

The second question is broader, any tips for working out things like the gateway compat? I've tried to get to the secret menu in the existing unit, but it doesn't work, so I assume the firmware is too old. Rally looking to learn from other's experiences and not make the same mistakes over again.

Advice and suggestions are appreciated.

james

SebHall

SebHall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hey mate, no experience with any of those head units but I did upgrade my CANBUS gateway to solve the battery drain issue. Any revision after 'L' will work, mine came out of a Mk6 Gti and have no issues with it.

Have you considered an RCD340 as an alternative to those head units also?

For the microphone placement if it has one built in I wouldn't bother with the external one, otherwise you can run it out through the steering wheel column trim and put it in front of the cluster.

'07 | 5dr | DSG | Sunroof | Reflex Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.