Mk5 DSG Synchro rings - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk5 DSG Synchro rings

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

dockers90

dockers90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm posting this more for people's interest than anything, there is a question at the end mind. My Mk5 is a low mileage car (50500) with FVWSH, until my ownership as prefer to work on a car myself. All servicing has been done on time so when i was driving along and lost drive, with the dreaded PRNS flashing, i was more than a little annoyed. Error codes were just for unexpected gear disengagement on 5th gear. 

The car is now in the garage, whilst there the clutches are being done and the chains as a lack of use by the previous owner has resulted in accelerated wearing of the clutch and tensioner guides. The cause of the disengagement was still a mystery until it was opened up. The pictures below show what is left of the 5th gear synchro-ring. I'm guessing it's a faulty component as these just don't break on DSG cars. I've not found anyone having ever had problems with them or needing to replace them and the operation of a DSG means even redline shifts shouldn't stress them (not that i've hit the rev limiter in 5th mind).  

This leads to the question, where can you source one from? The garage are really struggling to find it as they don't break so there's no aftermarket parts and VW don't supply them either. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.