Weird stereo issue MK4 - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Weird stereo issue MK4

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

I recently got a Sony XAV-AX3005DB stereo for the car and had thought it was the easiest stereo install I’ve ever done. It also fixed an issue I had been having which sounded like the old phone interference sound devices used to get which I had forgot existed, which I had been worries was an issue with the speakers, so that was a bonus! The speakers also sound much better with this stereo.

Anyway; on with the issue!

My car doesn’t have quad lock it just has the iso leads, so I took out the old stereo and CD player and it was plug and play with the new stereo. The only wires left unplugged were radio - which I’m not bothered about and another connector which I think is the power to the CD player.

The issue I’m getting is that when I turn the car off and take the key out the stereo is staying on. I can weirdly get the stereo turned off if I plug my phone in and out of the USB port - no idea why that gets it turned off. I notice as well that in the state of stereo not turning off I can’t lock the car if I get out and try with the key fob, but then when I manage to get the stereo off, the fob works perfectly.

No idea what is going on and why I can’t get it turned off with the ignition key!

Edited by Swizz, 30 July 2020 - 01:27 PM.

• Swizz likes this

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Oh and I forgot to mention the stereo resets to default settings each time too when I do get it turned off.

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Do you have cables between the stereo and the original car plug that can be plugged a different way? I remember when I put a Pioneer dab+ player in my mk4 ages ago there was 2 options on the power plug. One way made it restart after each power off. The other way was the right one. Sounds like you have the power wrong somewhow.

Edited by Sabaselfsit, 30 July 2020 - 02:00 PM.

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I have found that the stereo turns off if the phone is connected with car play every time when the key is removed. It’s when CarPlay is not on it doesn’t turn off. So weird!

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I’ll check that - thanks. But I thought the tabs were slightly different on the connectors so that couldn’t be done. Will check shortly.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5390 posts
If u take the stereo out completely (disconnect it totally ) then does the weird door locking issue go away ?

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Yes it does fix it. But the locking issue only happens when stereo is on, if I can get that off it works as it should every time.

Ok I’ve just tested always keeping phone plugged in before I turn the key on and after I turn it off. It turns on and off as it should AND remembers settings (I.e. doesn’t reset to factory).

Seems a very weird issue. I checked the plugs and they are designed so you can’t plug them in wrong. Image attach of the plugs.

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Image here sorry

Attached Files

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

For a start you need to switch the red and yellow live feeds around. Then see what happens.

• MJVR6 likes this

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Oh one thing I noticed is the yellow wire that’s in the quick connect sheath actually has a dual to single converter but only the one yellow wire in there.

Do you mean swap the red and yellow ends in those quick connectors so that they go yellow to red and red to yellow?

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Oh one thing I noticed is the yellow wire that’s in the quick connect sheath actually has a dual to single converter but only the one yellow wire in there.

Do you mean swap the red and yellow ends in those quick connectors so that they go yellow to red and red to yellow?

Yes, this was what I was trying to say in the beginning here. 

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Ok doing shortly will report the results!

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Yeah that has totally fixed the issue! Swapping the red and yellow wires in the quick connects totally resolved this one. Thanks so much for your help! Picture of how this stereo looks installed:

Attached Files

• Sabaselfsit likes this

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Yeah that has totally fixed the issue! Swapping the red and yellow wires in the quick connects totally resolved this one. Thanks so much for your help! Picture of how this stereo looks installed:

Glad to help.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5390 posts
That's so odd how the power cable can result in those odd things happening

Swizz

Swizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
The phone turning it off was strange. Somehow the CarPlay software seemed to know that the ignition had been taken out even though the stereo didn’t. Either way this was a really easy install still once you guys pointed out swapping those wires over and has made the car even better than it was. Obviously love the driving experience but for a 2003 car it also has some really good tech inside that is actually useful, like the auto dimming mirror, auto wipers - which work really well in mine and just comfortable nice seats, now with good audio/sat nav I can’t see any benefit to newer cars, only retractions actually!

I just had an order arrive from vwprtsinternational with brand new oem coils and struts for each corner and some other bits like handbrake cables, so going to be a busy few weeks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.