R32 Mk5 Radio Head Unit Upgrade Options (Wanting to bring the car up to date). - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

R32 Mk5 Radio Head Unit Upgrade Options (Wanting to bring the car up to date).

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Hi All,

This may have been asked a number of times, but I'd like to get people's opinions on the most recent head units available for the MK5 R32.

My R32 currently has the standard basic head unit, and I'd like to upgrade to an all singing all dancing latest technology head unit.

In short it must have a SAT NAV, and be FULLY COMPATIBLE with my new multifunctional steering wheel (i.e. the volume and next/previous track buttons etc must all work with the new head unit perfectly (no inactive/inoperable buttons). Also, if it could connect up to my ipod and phone (ideally both wired and via bluetooth respectively) that would be great too. Its been ages since I've used anything other than a CD in my car, and I'd like to bring it all back up to date.

I don't mind if its an aftermarket brand so long as it looks 'absolutely perfect' in the car (no adapter fascia surrounds etc)... But ideally if VW have a more up to date head unit that I can fit in and code to my car, that would be preferable - even if its from a newer golf for example.

Just wanted to get some opinions anyway. Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Les

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Some ideas for you.
Have a look at vw rns 510 with a dension gateway to get Bluetooth and can get dab adaptor also. It's what I have and works well and also displays in the mfd.
The rcd330 plus seems popular but has no dab but works with carplay and android auto.
I have previously tried aftermarket headunits with a connects 2 adaptor to work with the steering wheel but I always end up going back to vw headunits to maintain full functions.
As far as I am aware only vw headunits display in the mfd.

daveyboy

daveyboy

• Members
  • 574 posts
  • LocationTORQUAY
Chris fo you have a link for the DAB adaptor? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Some ideas for you.
Have a look at vw rns 510 with a dension gateway to get Bluetooth and can get dab adaptor also. It's what I have and works well and also displays in the mfd.
The rcd330 plus seems popular but has no dab but works with carplay and android auto.
I have previously tried aftermarket headunits with a connects 2 adaptor to work with the steering wheel but I always end up going back to vw headunits to maintain full functions.
As far as I am aware only vw headunits display in the mfd.

Thanks Chris, good shout with the RNS510 - That was the exact headunit I saw in an R32 recently that prompted me to re-look into this.

DISCLAIMER: Now, not that I watch it... but if it was Britain's Got Talent, I'd put the RNS510 through to the next stage of the competition, but I wouldn't hit the Gold Buzzer for it either for the sole reason that it's only the first decent contender I've seen for the job... even though it is the one I will probably end up going for .

One thing that put me off (and please correct me if I'm wrong), was that it seems like its been out around 7 years or so? Which may not be a problem (I mean the car is 12 years old after all), but it made me think; is there a newer more up to date VW head unit that will do all of the above and more?

Also, on a side note, when you have DAB retro fitted, am I right in thinking that you have to have one of those weird squiggle-shaped recievers/antennas stuck to the inside of your windscreen, or are there more seamless means of integration for this these days?

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Les

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Chris fo you have a link for the DAB adaptor?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the pro gateway from dension plus the dab+g adaptor:
https://www.dension....dab-for-gateway

You also need to install an aerial but I just used the wire for the GSM mast from my original vw phone and changed the aerial base.
The vw phone is replaced by the Bluetooth gateway and displays as a vw phone would on the rns 510. Saves messing around with making sure you get the correct vw Bluetooth and all works the same with display in mfd etc. It's not the cheapest but it works!

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

One thing that put me off (and please correct me if I'm wrong), was that it seems like its been out around 7 years or so? Which may not be a problem (I mean the car is 12 years old after all), but it made me think; is there a newer more up to date VW head unit that will do all of the above and more?

Also, on a side note, when you have DAB retro fitted, am I right in thinking that you have to have one of those weird squiggle-shaped recievers/antennas stuck to the inside of your windscreen, or are there more seamless means of integration for this these days?

There are newer versions of the rns available, the most recent was still in cars in 2014.
Obviously the newer ones are more expensive. The rcd 330plus is still fitted to cars in foreign markets and the newer discovery media units have component protection which is a minefield to put in our cars if its even possible.
You said you don't want a facia adaptor which leaves you with the Chinese android versions which come with their own issues and frustrations.
Having tried various different solutions I think the best is rns510 with the dension adaptor so you can play Spotify etc from your phone but also get dab.
You don't need the aerial on the screen, in fact I wouldn't recommend one as they are poor. I just changed the aerial on the roof and bought an adaptor for the head unit end so it all looks factory and work through factory head unit.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19299 posts
Although more expensive, the Kenwood VW OEM units may be worth a look;
https://kenwood-elec....uk/car/oem/vw/

A more cost effective solution would be the RNS315 which has integrated Bluetooth and is available with DAB.
  • ChrisR32Blue likes this
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

A more cost effective solution would be the RNS315 which has integrated Bluetooth and is available with DAB.

I had the rns 315 in my cc diesel daily.
The screen is much smaller and the nav was enough to drive you up the wall also wouldn't always connect up Bluetooth audio which got frustrating to say the least. Made by a different company to the 510 I believe. They are much cheaper for a good reason imo.

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Or if you want to save much money, you could try this. This GTI owner seem to be pleased with it. biggrin.gif Rather entertaining video he made. He was also interested in the 510, but ended up with this instead. Still would need a dab module for it though.

https://www.youtube....h?v=o6zerTsWzok

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

There are newer versions of the rns available, the most recent was still in cars in 2014.
Obviously the newer ones are more expensive. The rcd 330plus is still fitted to cars in foreign markets and the newer discovery media units have component protection which is a minefield to put in our cars if its even possible.
You said you don't want a facia adaptor which leaves you with the Chinese android versions which come with their own issues and frustrations.
Having tried various different solutions I think the best is rns510 with the dension adaptor so you can play Spotify etc from your phone but also get dab.
You don't need the aerial on the screen, in fact I wouldn't recommend one as they are poor. I just changed the aerial on the roof and bought an adaptor for the head unit end so it all looks factory and work through factory head unit.

Thanks for your explanation on this Chris, well justified! So it looks like the RNS510 is the strongest contender so far from a compatibility, up-to-dateness and originality perspective.

In relation to the DAB ariel, the standard bee-sting roof ariel is something I've been longing to change for a good while now, and I'm wondering; could I simply buy a genuine MK6/MK7 Golf shark fin style ariel to replace it with whilst simultaneously gaining everything needed to make the DAB work on an RNS510? My current logic is if I can buy an ariel that is at least from the Golf range (allbeit a later generation) it would stand the best chance of being compatible and being of good quality in general. Could get it colour coded to Deep Blue Pearl then so it matches the car then - exciting times.

Thanks again,
Les

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Although more expensive, the Kenwood VW OEM units may be worth a look;
https://kenwood-elec....uk/car/oem/vw/

Hi CupraBob,

Thanks for the reply! Interesting suggestion...

On a budget front, I'm not fussed so much on the cost, I just want it to do everything I want it to do and well. My logic on anything like this is, if its important enough to me (which the car is) I don't mind biting the bullet hard on something if I only have to do it once and I'm unlikely to regret it down the line. Just means I might have to save up for a bit longer haha!

But in terms of the Kenwood option, I say interesting suggestion, because a year or two ago I saw VW promoting one of these head units in their dealership as an retro-fittable upgrade. Naturally I enquired, with my key question being, would it work with the buttons on a multifunction steering wheel? They seemed to think it may not be fully compatible with the MFSW buttons and MFD etc, but I wonder if anyone could set the record straight on this? Be great if it could all work rogether seamlessly.

Kind Regards,
Les

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Thanks everyone for your posts on here by the way - much appreciated. Great to get different opinions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.