DO YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THE DRIVERS AIRBAG WHEN UPGRADING TO A MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL ON A MK5 R32? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

DO YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THE DRIVERS AIRBAG WHEN UPGRADING TO A MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL ON A MK5 R32?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Hi all,

I've posted a few time recently about upgrading to highline clocks; multifunction steering wheel; highline steering wheel control module; and adding the the cruise control indicator stalk and a new stalk for the right hand side too (without the buttons for the trip computer).

Now I'm almost at the point where I can take the plunge and buy these non-returnable parts from VW, but there is a question I have looming, do I NEED to replace my driver's airbag for all of the new parts to work properly together and be coded, or can I safely get away with reusing my old airbag with these new parts? It's just, the replacement airbag will cost Β£823.57 to buy from VW new. If I do have to buy a new airbag, I would rather buy it new from VW rather than a secondhand one of someone on Ebay for example - safety first (especially as its the driver's airbag) πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The airbag part number currently on my 2008 3-door manual R32 is: 1K0 880 201 CA 1QB

...and the airbag part number that would be fitted to a car with all of these interior upgrades fitted straight from the factory would be: 1K0 880 201 CB 1QB

Just one letter out (so they are indeed different parts/part numbers).

If anyone could shine some light on this, I'd be hugely appreciative, as I'm so close to getting these mods done! I genuinely can't wait for it to all be installed, but I just want to make sure I've done all the required research before I commit to the spend.

Thanks very much in advance allπŸ‘πŸ»

Kind Regards,
Les

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Sorry to pour rain on your parade, but I have an R32 DSG so it has the multi function wheel, and frankly I don't use it. Mine doesn't have cruise control, and if it did I wouldn't use it. Had loads of cars with cruise and just don't like it, especially with a manual box. They simply do not work well with each other.

Airbag Β£823 ???

Mate, save your money and sort out your ICE, as per your other post.

I would like to hear other members thoughts on this, before I get shot down in flames.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
I upgraded my cars steering wheel to one that had shift paddles and the mfsw buttons as I've already replied to you in another one of your threads.

I don't know why you would need to change the airbag for a new one . The old one still fits it's not like you've changed to a Mk6 wheel etc.
  • Les.Tansey likes this

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts

Sorry to pour rain on your parade, but I have an R32 DSG so it has the multi function wheel, and frankly I don't use it. Mine doesn't have cruise control, and if it did I wouldn't use it. Had loads of cars with cruise and just don't like it, especially with a manual box. They simply do not work well with each other.
Airbag Β£823 ???
I would like to hear other members thoughts on this, before I get shot down in flames.

Yeh cruise control is nice to have but far from essential.. the only time I've ever really used cruise in my 17 years of owning my R32 is when there was long long sections of average speed camera zones on the motorways. When you're forced to sit at 50mph or something stupid for 30 mins at a time

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

I upgraded my cars steering wheel to one that had shift paddles and the mfsw buttons as I've already replied to you in another one of your threads.
I don't know why you would need to change the airbag for a new one . The old one still fits it's not like you've changed to a Mk6 wheel etc.

Thanks GTI FLY,

I agree it seems a bit daft to have to buy a new airbag as, like you say, its going from a Mk5 wheel to a Mk5 wheel so should fit fine in theory.

My reason for asking this question stems from speaking to 'VW Retrofit' as recommended by some users on one of my previous posts on the matter. The guy there advised me to get a new airbag to go with the new wheel for everything to work - I was somewhate sceptical (hence I've asked you guys for your experiences). I've just rang him again and asked him if its completely necessary, and he said I should do it to save the hassle...? Or I would need to source a new wiring loom for the airbag if I was to reuse my current airbag. Can anyone advise on this... all seems a bit bizzare.

But with that said, if I'm ever to need the driver's airbag, I would prefer it to actually work

Thanks again all!

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Airbag Β£823 ???

No sweat mate! In a nutshell, I figured if I'm investing in upgrading the functionality of the cockpit with the highline clocks and MFSW, I may as well take the opportunity to obtain the cruise control feature whilst I'm at it, seeing as its not too expensive as far as mods go I'll use it once in a blue moon, but a handy little upgrade nonetheless!

Cheers, Les
  • ChrisGR32 likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
I upgraded to mfsw and cc, love them both and use them all the time, great upgrade from my perspective.

Same airbag was used, have no idea why you would need a new one, it's not like there is any interaction between the new bits and a safety feature like that.

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

I upgraded to mfsw and cc, love them both and use them all the time, great upgrade from my perspective.
Same airbag was used, have no idea why you would need a new one, it's not like there is any interaction between the new bits and a safety feature like that.

Hi mate, that's interesting, do you happen to know the part number of your airbag (unlikely I would imagine, just want to do some cross-referencing).

Just want to make sure I'm buying the right bits and not buying unnecessary parts too.

Cheers, Les

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Sorry I don't, one thing you could try is seeing if there are multiple versions or just one. Though I can't imagine why it would be necessary with any version.

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Oh sorry you did say that there was two versions in the first post

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire
No sweat matey! If I could get a good discount on the airbag and the rest of the bits I'd maybe just bite the bullet but could do with being sure. Plus the other thing is, you're probably only likely to find out if your airbag works correctly with your new steering wheel if you crash the car, by which time it's too late to start finding an alternative part numbered airbag πŸ˜‚

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.