Mk5 R32 - Plastic arches? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk5 R32 - Plastic arches?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Martinio

Martinio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As we know, the MK5 is notorious for rusting on the arch panel. I have light bubbling coming through and the corner on the driver side is starting to look rough.

Is it possible to get plastic arches rather than metal? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't this solve the issue for good? Which makes me wonder why I seem to be struggling to find decent quality replacements made of plastic.

Has anyone done this?

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3304 posts
Don't think there any available
  • MJVR6 likes this

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Plastic arches, Seriously?help.gif 

MJ

<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

filbro

filbro

• Members
  • 508 posts

You can buy the SRS tec wings which are GRP composite.

But its the factory foam insulation which rots the steel wings.  Replacement steel wings don't come with the foam so will not rot in same way.

Mk5 R32, Recaros, Winter pack, H&R Springs, Milltek Cat-back, Audi 19" speedlines, RUF stg2 supercharged, Valeo rear lights, Mk6 R steering wheel & gearknob

Martinio

Martinio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Plastic arches, Seriously?help.gif

MJ

Why does it matter if it's plastic if you get it sprayed professionally to match the car? No one will know and you get the peace of mind that it wont rust again?

You can buy the SRS tec wings which are GRP composite.

But its the factory foam insulation which rots the steel wings. Replacement steel wings don't come with the foam so will not rot in same way.

Well that's reassuring! It just seems like a waste of time and money with the way it is currently. I will look into new factory ones instead then as I would prefer things stay as factory as possible. Well, within reason ofcourse! Thanks.

Edited by Martinio, 07 August 2020 - 03:24 PM.

Sean.R32

Sean.R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SRS tech wings. That’s my next option, never rust again and I believe they are 3mm wider, so better fitment options. Not sure how well they actually fit though, from what I’ve seen they are pretty bang on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.