Paddle Shifter Blanking Plates on Rear of Multifunction Steering Wheels Destined for Manual R32s - Is this the norm? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Paddle Shifter Blanking Plates on Rear of Multifunction Steering Wheels Destined for Manual R32s - Is this the norm?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire
This feels like the nine-millionth post I've made regarding the multifunction steering wheel upgrade, so my apologies - please bear with me:

So, I'm making progress, after giving VW x4 donor registrations for cars with the spec I desire for my own, they have managed to identify the part number for the steering wheel I apparently need as being: "M V1K0 419 091 GS TVJ".

My only concern is that they made a point of advising me that it will have blanking plates on the back of the wheel to cover up where the paddle shifters would normally go if the wheel was to go on an R32 with a DSG gearbox. Now I'm sure the likelihood is that all MANUAL R32s that were blessed with the multifunction steering wheel and highline instrument cluster from the factory have this same steering wheel fitted (with the blanking plates). And I'm sure the blanking plates must look seamless and what not in real life (here's to hoping anyway). However, VW couldn't provide me with any supporting visual of what the steering wheel would look like from behind, and so I'm left wondering... are these blanking plates going to look seamless and like they are 'meant to be', or are they going to stick out like Dumbo's ears and wind me up all day for ever more?

Can anyone with a manual R32 that has the multifunction steering wheel kindly confirm if their steering wheel appears to have these so called blanking plates on the back of it. Although I highly doubt this would be the case; I don't want VW selling me a botch-job steering wheel when everyone with these factory fitted options has the Real Mccoy so to speak.

If anyone could provide pictures, that would be brilliant as Google wasn't much use when I had a look earlier today.

Kind Regards,
Les

filbro

filbro

• Members
  • 508 posts

Hi

I'm not sure how much a new steering wheel is from VW, but there are a few mk6 wheels inc airbag, suit manual car on ebay for about £550

Mk5 R32, Recaros, Winter pack, H&R Springs, Milltek Cat-back, Audi 19" speedlines, RUF stg2 supercharged, Valeo rear lights, Mk6 R steering wheel & gearknob

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Have you had a quote from these people? https://www.hazzyday...heel-2418-p.asp

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Same guys that told you that you need a different airbag?

I'd start running away if I were you.

I'm 95% sure I don't have any blanking plates on my manual but I'll take some photos tomorrow when it's day light.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
The dsg paddles are so bloody small anyway

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Same guys that told you that you need a different airbag?
I'd start running away if I were you.
I'm 95% sure I don't have any blanking plates on my manual but I'll take some photos tomorrow when it's day light.

No not the same guy who made the suggestion about the airbag - that was VW Retrofit.

The people who suggested that the steering wheel had paddle shift blanking plates on the back of it were two seperate Volkswagen main dealer part's department staff members from different branches. I reckon the part is the correct part and you wouldn't tell that they are blanking plates as such, I have a feeling that there is a note that comes up on VW's part number index that says 'with blanking plates' or something, so they are just pointing it out to me as a matter of course. That said, regardless of how small they are or anything, I just want the correct wheel for my car (whatever it is).

If you could send me a pic though mate that would be super helpful. I might even go and view some similar specced R32s and have a look in person

Cheers all for the input

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Number blanking plates = 0

Attached Files

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Thank you for this mate! That's exactly like my standard steering wheel in mine at present.

Is your steering wheel a multifunction wheel with the buttons on it or not?

Cheers, Les

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Yes multi function with volume control, phone, menu etc buttons

Edited by iooroiidvd, 17 August 2020 - 11:48 AM.

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

No way, this whole thing is baffling. So essentially you have the steering wheel I need How many beers do I need to buy you to ask for the part number of your steering wheel, directly off the wheel itself? Or even the reg so I can cross-reference it at VW?

I've genuinely just come off the phone from VW and then TPS and they are saying that the steering wheels which come up on the x4 different donor regs of manual 2008 R32s are all paddle shift wheels... but they certainly are not

I'm baffled

These are the donor regs I've used to obtain part numbers of VW (and also now TPS too):

DGZ8377

SE08OMV

PK09ETD

VN58DPZ

Thanks again all! Determined to crack this... I mean, it should not be this hard in the first place to be fair, but apparently it is

Cheers, Les

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

I've just twigged as well mate, how come yours has the buttons on the end of the wiper stalk for controlling the MFD computer? Surely your multifunction steering wheel controls the computer?

Can I ask if you have the midline (smaller/half display screen) or highline (large display screen) computer?

Also, was your steering wheel or wiper stalk replaced or upgraded to its current spec at any stage in the vehicle's life or is it all completely standard?

Thanks again mate Appreciate the help!!

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Hahaha, good spot, as I said in your airbag thread I upgraded to mfsw and cc so unfortunately reg number won't help and I suspect the part number is under the (original) airbag so can't help on that front either.

Luckily the car came with highline.

Edited by iooroiidvd, 18 August 2020 - 06:08 AM.

Les.Tansey

Les.Tansey

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Hahaha, good spot, as I said in your airbag thread I upgraded to mfsw and cc so unfortunately reg number won't help and I suspect the part number is under the (original) airbag so can't help on that front either.
Luckily the car came with highline.

Ahhh I see that makes sense to be fair! Any chance you would mind PMing me your reg so I can see if your airbag part number matches mine?

Also, who fitted and coded your MFSW and CC? I'm guessing you sourced the wheel secondhand?

Cheers, Les

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts

Yes, got the wheel from eBay and had it re-trimmed in Nappa before fitting.

I got the work done at Hazzydayz (fitting CC and MSFW, not the re-trim), the work itself can't fault and have had everything running prefectly for a couple of years.

The getting it done was a bit of a palaver, involved two visits (long story but the first one resulting in me driving off in frustration with nothing fitted) but at least they did the CC gratis IIRC to make up for it.

Edited by iooroiidvd, 24 August 2020 - 01:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.