MK4 ball joints - mayle brand ok ? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

MK4 ball joints - mayle brand ok ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
I'm looking at refreshing my front suspension.

VW want £66 for a ball joint each , plus vat I think.

eBay I've found the correct part number comes up with a mayle made ball joint.

It's 66 on eBay for 2 ball joints and 4 bushes for the lowe control arms.

Which would you go for ?

Edited by Gti Fly, 14 August 2020 - 08:26 PM.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
Infact I've seen you can get meyle, lemforder. Febi,

Does anyone know what VW use for OEM ?

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Have changed ball joints on both my mk4 R32 and mk4 tdi 4motion golf in the past and have always used aftermarket. Meyle and Febi are good quality. Never heard of Lemforder. It is the cheaper options you should watch out for. Some of which actually come without a hex in the middle - which make them hard to install as the bolt will spinn around before the nut is tight (and impossible to take apart again - only option to cut off with a grinder)

After installation I always sprayed the bracket and the 3 bolts with body spray to prevent them from rusting to much, and they will come off more easy next time a change is due. 

smp

smp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationDorset

If you ever get the answer, I would like to know. I need to replace them on one of my MKIVs

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
I think I'm just gonna get from VW .

I've already bought 2 new front lower arms for £260. F it. The cars served me well never had to change those parts b4.

smp

smp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationDorset

I've already bought 2 new front lower arms for £260. F it. The cars served me well never had to change those parts b4.

Me too.

I bought bottom arms from VW so I could get my wheel alignment sorted, only to find the ball joints were seperate.

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Lemforder is on top, but meyle is just as good.. Just don't go with optimal or some kind of cheap shit haha

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts

Lemforder is on top, but meyle is just as good.. Just don't go with optimal or some kind of cheap shit haha

So lemforder are good

How about febi-bilstien. That's another brand that comes up too

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts

Me too.

I bought bottom arms from VW so I could get my wheel alignment sorted, only to find the ball joints were seperate.

How much did the bottom arms cost you ?

My local VW told me they were 260 per side ...

I got them for half that on eBay !

I noticed on one of the Arms, the rear bush is just starting to peel away at one side when it was jacked up and we were changing the top mounts.

My mechanic said just get new OEM arms to save faffing around , and at £130 each it worked out fairly decent price as I was actually looking at getting cookbot bushes but it quickly works out to be more expensive than just getting brand new OEM arms and just be done with it. I mean 17 years on the OEM arms/bushes, can't complain really

smp

smp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationDorset

Yeah,  I think it was £200+ each. Like your mechanic said, much easier to buy new arms with bushes, than try to replace the bushes in  knackered old arms. I bought VW top mounts at the same time. I still haven't fitted them because  I just assumed the ball joint came with the arm. So hurry up and find out what brand are OEM !

Edited by smp, 17 August 2020 - 08:18 PM.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
Lol. I think I'm just gonna go OEM for the ball joints tbh . Have u considered going for the seat Leon cupra r top mounts ? OEM fitment but they are harder rubber than the R32 ones.

I fitted the Leon ones to mine a few weeks ago , no complaints.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts
Ok, so just an update

The MK4 R32 ball joints are made by trw.

Trw is what my car came with from factory, and trw is also what VW parts have supplied too.

So if anyone else is in same boat as me, u can buy trw off eBay !
  • smp likes this

smp

smp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationDorset

Thanks for the update. I bought mine from VW, but will shop around for TRW next time.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5440 posts

Thanks for the update. I bought mine from VW, but will shop around for TRW next time.

No worries glad it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.