I should probably have signed up here a while ago - Interior and Exterior - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

I should probably have signed up here a while ago

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Elmetian

Elmetian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi guys,

Edit: oops, fcuked up there. Thought I'd posted in the introduction subforum. Might as well ask my question here then.

I've recently had all the disks and pads done on my Mk5 R32, and one of the front caliper spring clips fell off while it was parked up. My local garage must have done a crap job of fitting it back on.

I'd don't actually know if the car came with the other spring clips on though. Does anyone know if the rear brake calipers normally have spring clips, and if so, can you describe what they look like?

Thanks!

rwwzEZH.jpg

Edited by Elmetian, 28 August 2020 - 06:00 PM.

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3248 posts
Welcome to the forum
Any more pictures

Elmetian

Elmetian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Welcome to the forum
Any more pictures

Hi Andy!

Didn't realise I was posting in this subforum! You'll have to forgive my badly titled post. Is it possible to change the title to something more appropriate? I'd originally intended to ask about the brake caliper clips here, and post my intro to the other subforum.

Yes, I've got a few more pics. I prefer to blur out my reg because I'm a bit cautious with posting pics online:

GkcugYX.png

2XoPjxK.jpg

Edited by Elmetian, 28 August 2020 - 06:01 PM.

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Welcome, I do like the colour, shadow blue if I'm not mistaken?

Regarding hte caliper clips for the rear, there is no external clip like on the fronts (if it pinged out it must never have been fitted correctly as those take some manipulating the remove!)  The rear caliper carriers have a mounting bracket for the pads that just slots in, then the caliper sits over them.  

I can take a pic of the part I'km talking about if you like, I have all new parts in the garage to fit soon.

Welcome to the OC smile.gif

Edited by Muska, 28 August 2020 - 06:08 PM.

Elmetian

Elmetian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Welcome, I do like the colour, shadow blue if I'm not mistaken?

Exactly right!

wasn't sure about the colour at first but its grown on me a lot. It's getting two new front wings in a few weeks to replace the old rusty ones, and I don't mind admitting I'm a bit concerned the bodyshop won't match the colour that well...

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Is that on standard suspension? May be my eyes or the fact I've not seen an r32 on standard suspension in a while but that looks high riding to me.
Could just be the angle the pictures are on.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Welcome. Lovely colour and not common. Good call. As. Usually has said, clip from front caliper 

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 672 posts
Welcome to the OC!

Elmetian

Elmetian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Is that on standard suspension? May be my eyes or the fact I've not seen an r32 on standard suspension in a while but that looks high riding to me.
Could just be the angle the pictures are on.

Sorry guys, been mega busy with work for the last week or so. Yeah, it's all stock at the moment except the stereo head unit. I'm gradually working my way through fixing things. I did have plans to lower it, but I'm in two minds about it now.

Anyway, I have a bit of a conundrum that maybe someone can help me with. Here's the story:

I had brake pads and discs replaced by my local garage a month or so ago. Haven't been driving much for obvious reasons, and I didn't think to inspect the calipers myself after the new discs and pads. Few weeks after getting them done, I noticed one of the anti-rattle springs had fallen off while it was parked on the drive, and the other one was missing entirely.

I've no idea if this is the fault of my local garage, and I've no idea if the car even had the retainer clips when I bought it.

I bought two new anti-rattle springs and took the wheels off to fit them since it seemed like an easy job. It was only after I tried fitting them that I realised that the retainer clips that the springs fit into are missing from both front brakes.

The retainer clips look like the ones in this photo:

jECLI17.jpg

After spending an hour trying to find somewhere to buy these clips from, I've concluded that they're only sold with new pads.

Now here's the really fluffing annoying part that's properly stumped me: my new pads don't even seem to have a hole for the clips to screw on to. As you can see from the photo below, there's a grommet or something there and I really don't fancy trying to remove it (ignore the filth and rust, the calipers are going to get refurbed at some point).

KaZOB7U.jpg

Short of buying brand new pads with the clips attached, I'm not sure what to do. I can't blame my local garage because I've no idea if the previous pads even had these clips... fool.gif

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Having just replaced my front discs and pads (job done by me personally) with genuine discs and pads, the genuine pads definitely come fitted with the rattle retainers fitted as per the first prcture. Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.