Mk5 wing mirror glass, tinted? - Interior and Exterior - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk5 wing mirror glass, tinted?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So I'm driving home tonight and I notice that the o/s mirror has a nice greenish tint to it to stop the dazzle from the lights behind. It's almost as if it's light sensitive like the rear view mirror - if there's nothing behind (or during the day) it's clear but get the light on it and there it is.

On the other hand, the n/s mirror glass is permanently clear, no tint.

So I'm assuming that they're both meant to be tinted, is this right and if so where can I get a proper replacement??

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19273 posts
It's only the driver's mirror that's anti dazzle. It tilts slightly when the interior mirror dips to appear tinted.

Edited by cuprabob, 01 September 2020 - 09:33 PM.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5416 posts
Early mk5s had both wing mirrors that auto dimmed (auto tint).

Later they just had it on the drivers mirror , I guess to save costs...

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19273 posts
It was in the launch brochure as all 3 mirrors auto dimming but as far as I'm aware it was only the first batch of demos that complied. My June 2006 car certainly didn't have an auto dimming passenger door mirror.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5416 posts
Correct.

Early mk5s as in golfs in general , not the R32 . Early electro tinted mirrors didn't have that horrid black band all the way around the glass either which the later ones did

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

BTW, the cost of a replacement is roughly £230.

Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

BTW, the cost of a replacement is roughly £230.

WTF 😳😳😳

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5416 posts
Yep. They are mega bucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.