Restoring the underside. - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Restoring the underside.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Sean.R32

Sean.R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello people,
I am currently buying parts ready to get my Mk4 underside floor/sills welded up and restored.
I currently have sills and outer floor section.
I am struggling to find the actual floor pan if worse comes to worse! Any help with where I can find them or is my option to cut out parts from a breaker?
Many thanks

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Hard to know what to advise here until you can see the extent of the corrosion damage . Presumably replacement panels and sections are no longer available, hence your question, If the floor and sills are so bad that they need cutting out and replacing, are you sure that the rest of the shell is worth it? Might not another Mk4 she’ll be a better option? However, if you are going ahead and new panels are not available, then I would be heading for the breakers yard with my cordless angle grinder and removing relevant sections from any old Mk4 Golf as my starting point . 

Sean.R32

Sean.R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hard to know what to advise here until you can see the extent of the corrosion damage . Presumably replacement panels and sections are no longer available, hence your question, If the floor and sills are so bad that they need cutting out and replacing, are you sure that the rest of the shell is worth it? Might not another Mk4 she’ll be a better option? However, if you are going ahead and new panels are not available, then I would be heading for the breakers yard with my cordless angle grinder and removing relevant sections from any old Mk4 Golf as my starting point .

Yeah I thought as much. I have thought about getting a shell but I’ve not yet come by one. And one that’s DBP in good nick. It’s not toooo bad but it’s something I’m willing to have done. It’s my baby :(

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Fair enough. As it’s DBP I can see the attraction of saving it if possible . Good luck. Perhaps you could post a few photographs so that we can see the extent of your challenge ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.