Another soon to be new owner :) - Welcome to the R32 Owners Club - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Another soon to be new owner :)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello everyone

I pickup my mk5 R32 at the weekend, managed to find a nice example and hope to keep it in excellent shape, it’s a 4 hour each way trip so it’s going to be a long day but also means I get to enjoy the car for a good few miles when I first get it!

I’ve come from a range of high powered cars but keep getting bored and I’ve always wanted an R32 but for some reason never considered it as an option, finally decided to chop in the current car which was PCP and buy this one outright.

Last 3 cars (last 3 years too 🙈🙈)

- 2017, Fiesta ST mk7 stage 2 Mountune MR230
- 2018, Focus RS mk3 Stage 2 Mountune M400R
- 2019-present which I’m currently parting ways with, BMW M140i Shadow Edition

So I’ve hit the 400bhp mark but really whilst they’re fun they didn’t have character or older styling I want and now I use a motorbike for work so it’s time for a nice weekend car to look after which I’ve always loved, the mk5 R32 😎

Hoping this forum is as active as my previous ones, I’ll be using the search button for some help on the following:

- Fitting a pioneer SPH-DA130, I have the kit and fascia from bass monkeys so hopefully it’s a straight forward job...
- Best induction/map for a smooth run, I understand with NA engines there’s little power gains overall but I’d like opinions on peoples experience with a map if possible.

Current plans:

- general upgrades over the year; updated Discs, pads, polybush, ARB, tyres.
- Plate led bulbs
- Major service (coils, plugs, haldex, Caliper pins/pistons etc) - just a general refresh for piece of mind.

Future plans if I decide to;
- Supercharge/turbo
- Full exterior wrap

If anyone has any good recommendations or anything then feel free to give me a heads up :)
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Welcome to the OC, make sure you get some pics up when you collect :)

Have you got any details on the car you've bought?

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19301 posts
Welcome to the forum...
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thank you both 🙂

It’s an 09 plate under 55k miles, a near full service history stamped just didn’t have one on a specific year as it did minimal mileage, wing seats and winter pack and pretty much clean all round on original alloys which look fresh so potentially refurbed at some point.

Excited to go collect it, it’s also just had an interim service as part of the sale.
  • Muska likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Sounds like a great example!

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Sounds like a cracker. Do not worry though, you will soon be spending shed loads of cash on upgrades and improvements 

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow
Looking at your previous cars I think you’ll be disappointed

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts
Welcome to the forum tho the r32 may be a little slower than your previous cars it has more soul and character

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Sounds like a cracker. Do not worry though, you will soon be spending shed loads of cash on upgrades and improvements

😂 I can imagine there’s a good bit that can be spent on these, I would say I’ll try and hold off but I’ve already got the radio, de-Res pipe, and major service kit ready to go...

I assume it’s only a matter of time, but this is also a weekend car so my mileage will be less than 3k or so per year.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Looking at your previous cars I think you’ll be disappointed

I thought the same when looking at the power output compared, but the reason for the swap whilst the other cars were powerful and highly tuneable I found its less about that 0-60 more about the car and sound for me.

Whilst I’ve got the turbo/supercharge conversion on the horizon this would change things so I’ll see how long I can hold off..

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Welcome to the forum tho the r32 may be a little slower than your previous cars it has more soul and character

Cheers Andy, I agree, I feel that the R32 has a lot of character and just hitting the nice old age of 30 last month I feel I’m liking more of the classic/older style cars than these new shapes and models.

Also the PPF introduction has just dumbed down most performance cars in terms of sound, manufacturers have even mapped out any form of burble/pops they would usually be given...

I’m more excited about picking up the R32 than I was the M140 😂
  • Muska likes this

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7277 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

Welcome to OC :)

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Assume we have some spam above based on the repost and lotto link... would help if I could read it but thanks for the multiple bumps I guess 🤷‍♂️😂

Welcome to OC :)

Cheers :)

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

I thought the same when looking at the power output compared, but the reason for the swap whilst the other cars were powerful and highly tuneable I found its less about that 0-60 more about the car and sound for me.
Whilst I’ve got the turbo/supercharge conversion on the horizon this would change things so I’ll see how long I can hold off..

The sound is the only thing I miss but when your getting stung for tax at over 500quid and the fuel costs for being so slow I wouldn’t have another mk5 again

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

The sound is the only thing I miss but when your getting stung for tax at over 500quid and the fuel costs for being so slow I wouldn’t have another mk5 again

No one buys an r32 be it mk4 or 5 for speed and if 200 quid extra in tax means that much to you, you're buying the wrong car. There is more to life than outright speed. If that's what you want buy a tesla.!

Edited by ChrisR32Blue, 11 September 2020 - 07:18 PM.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yeah to be fair, tax wise any new car list price over 40k gets stung £500 a year on top of the normal tax bracket for X years so I don’t really feel hard done by as anything else I’d have would be in this bracket.

This is a weekend car for me, aside from potential winter use if needed and as Chris above though I’d prefer sound and a more unique style car to look after than be looking for those extra half seconds 0-62 anymore 😀 i could’ve gone for the mk7 and quick map for mega speeds but just plain old boring for me now and I wouldn’t want to be launching it permanently, like to enjoy a drive or some nice country lanes.

More excited for this than I was the m140 that’s for sure. 🙂

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationglasgow

No one buys an r32 be it mk4 or 5 for speed and if 200 quid extra in tax means that much to you, you're buying the wrong car. There is more to life than outright speed. If that's what you want buy a tesla.!

I was also about 200 quid more on fuel a month in the mk5 r32 compared to an Audi rs3

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I was also about 200 quid more on fuel a month in the mk5 r32 compared to an Audi rs3

I guess it depends how the RS3 is driven haha But given it’s a modern engine they’re relatively eco compared to older engines when driving nice.

My mk3 RS even on a motorway run wouldn’t reach 31mpg and that was at 60mph over 15 miles...Average was 19 in traffic and 23ish on my casual with a mixed blast here and there.

The m140 was great on the motorway around 38-42mpg but mixed I was getting 24mpg and in mega traffic about 19mpg

I only look at mpg readings as I’m interested though, usually I just fill up as soon as the light pings so no economical purposes for my agenda, the motorbike for work returns a modest 47mpg and that gets a good run about 😎

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3305 posts

😂 I can imagine there’s a good bit that can be spent on these, I would say I’ll try and hold off but I’ve already got the radio, de-Res pipe, and major service kit ready to go...

I assume it’s only a matter of time, but this is also a weekend car so my mileage will be less than 3k or so per year.

Mine also a week end car and mostly going to shows but with all of them cancelled I only did 700miles this year

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Mine also a week end car and mostly going to shows but with all of them cancelled I only did 700miles this year

Ahh no way! - fair play though it’ll keep the mileage ready for years to come 😀

I have mine now although I do have one issue, not the best issue from what I’ve researched although I’ll get it resolved 😀

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I’ll post this in the relevant technical section but just to note, on my 270 mile trip back everything was perfect bar the traction light coming on randomly a good chunk into the journey, nothing on the test drive or anything like that so this was a pain...

Luckily a friend had VAG COM and ive got the following:

Attached File  2D9FEFCC-EC71-45A2-8ED0-381FD136E842.jpeg   72.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  9AE41CC5-7297-4580-A34F-C10C907F8B87.jpeg   77.39KB   0 downloads

It did have the clutch angle sensor intermittent one too but when clearing codes that didn’t come back but the two above regarding a faulty oil pressure/oil temp and the AWD control module they come back instantly..

Anyone have any experience with this, should I replace the sensor first or is this all down to a faulty control module?

Anyway, a picture or two of the car on pickup day/the journey;

Attached File  8F5610CC-A067-49FE-844E-49F931A51822.jpeg   99.27KB   0 downloads
Attached File  ACFC228F-C221-4933-8A35-DBA4E8CB1224.jpeg   78.09KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.