Central Locking - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Central Locking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

AustinR32

AustinR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Hi All,

So new owner of a MK5 3-door R32...   ...which has been on my bucket list of cars since they came out originally. 

I bought it knowing there was a fault with the central locking...     ...at present both fobs don't lock/unlock the doors. The only way to secure the car is by manually using the key to lock the driver's door and then set the alarm on the fob. The passengers door does not lock with the fob or by the key being turned in the driver's door.

So...

Q1) Is there any way to lock the passenger door manually? I am of an age where there was push down locks by the window. This seems to have nothing to lock the door? The internal lock button does not lock either door.

Q2) Any suggestions as to the fault? Seen that door actuators fail...? Is there one for each door? Surely both shouldn't have failed? Any helps/tips/pointers on where to start and what to check (and how to)?!

Any help gratefully received!

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Start off with the fuses, because I don't understand why the internal lock button doesn't work.

If that doesn't fix it then get some-one with VCDS to run a scan on it.

Good luck.

• AustinR32 likes this

DubNurd

DubNurd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationWhangarei, NZ

Both actualtors may have failed - they're a crappy design. Do they make any noise at all?

You can use VCDS to actuate them and see if they work then. The wiring in the door jam can break too.

I've had good sucess with "failed" actuators by cleaning the motors out with contact cleaner (that are poorly geared and don't turn far) and re-greasing with plastic safe grease on the mechanism. I did that a few years ago, and they've been fine since.

Allan

My non-Golf .:R32
29361330218_1f724845b0_o.jpg

Malcolm3010

Malcolm3010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hello Austin

I own a MkV r32 and a MkV GTI.
I have had problems with the locks / actuators/ modules or whatever they known as.
One of two things can ever go wrong with them:

1).You have a broken wire in the door harness.
2).the electrical part of the lock has failed.

Either way it’s something you can do at home and for free.

If you have problem 1, then try solder or crimp a new replacement wire. This must be tight and secure or else you will have bigger problems with a rough idle or parasitic drain.
If you have problem 2, you remove the door skin( this is done from outside and is very simple to do)
You then remove the lock which is in two half’s ( one bing the electrical and the other the mechanical). You then open up the electrical part. Clean the entire circuit. You have to open the little motor and clean the black dirt of it with like alcohol spray or electrical contact spray. Use grease or Vaseline on the plastic gears and put them all back together. Reinstall everything to the door and you will have the lock working.

The dealer won’t tell you about this for obvious reasons but due to me loosing my job and not having money to buy new locks, I did research for a few weeks until I came across an Australian gti forum and the guy posted step by step pics of how he did repaired his locks.

I’m not sure if this forum will allow me to send you the link so if you want, you can mail me on [email protected] and I’ll reply with the link.
  • DubNurd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.