3.2 vr6 have 2 oil filters? - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

3.2 vr6 have 2 oil filters?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

So, from looking at engine pics for too long wacko.gif , I see 2 as in two oil filter housings on the  vr6 3.2 blocks...One on the front of car side with the oil cooler, and another  on the firewall passenger side.  Can anyone explain this curious phenom?

Thanks!

HPA DSG tune, UM ecu tune, Shrick 268/264 cams, Tarox 6-pot/discs

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19282 posts
The filter on the passenger side near the firewall will be the gearbox filter for the DSG models.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Naw...The filter on the passenger side of the firewall side is replace at oil changes...The filter on the DSG is changed at 40,000 mi intervals.

s-l1600.jpg

The cannister under the oil cooler appears to be a filter housing.

861044_x800.jpg

This is the passenger side filter, the one changed when refreshing the engine oil. Any clues?

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

The arrow is pointing  to the filter in question...

i-Nt4ZvHW-L.jpg

I've never heard of changing this filter.

Edited by kgw, 18 September 2020 - 04:27 PM.

Leevir32

Leevir32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFinland

Yes that is the oil filter. What is the question here?

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

There are 2 filters; the  one people normally change their oil/filter with is on the firewall side. There is another filter on the radiator side where the oil cooler is attached. If you examine the top 2 pics/images, you can see what I am talking about.

Yes that is the oil filter. What is the question here?

DubNurd

DubNurd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationWhangarei, NZ

The filter on the radiator side is the only engine oil filter. The engine has one oil filter - on the front of the engine, near the radiator.

Your 3 pictures are all of the same location: the radiator side, between the AC compressor and the transmission:

1. The photo of the engine with the cannister under the cooler
  2. The photo of the ECS cover
  3. The part diagram with the arrow

However, the last image is not one from an R32, as that oil filler neck isn't used - R32's have the filler cap direct on the rocker cover. I suspect it's from a VR6 T4 or T5 as the have the engine at a greater angle.

Allan

My non-Golf .:R32
29361330218_1f724845b0_o.jpg

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I will take a pic of my own 3.2l BUB, and it will be of the housing I change when  I change the oil in my 2006 Audi A3, 3.2l. It is on the firewall passenger side of the engine.  It is almost level with the oil pan sensor recess. I am doing this out of sheer inquisitiveness, no axe to grind at all.  

The filter on the radiator side is the only engine oil filter. The engine has one oil filter - on the front of the engine, near the radiator.

Your 3 pictures are all of the same location: the radiator side, between the AC compressor and the transmission:

1. The photo of the engine with the cannister under the cooler
  2. The photo of the ECS cover
  3. The part diagram with the arrow

However, the last image is not one from an R32, as that oil filler neck isn't used - R32's have the filler cap direct on the rocker cover. I suspect it's from a VR6 T4 or T5 as the have the engine at a greater angle.

Leevir32

Leevir32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFinland

3.2-L-VW-Audi-VR6-24V-BUB1.6.jpg

Here is the firewall side of a BUB engine. Can you show me the filter in this picture?

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5437 posts
Lol 2 oil filters.
I bub-lieve it when I see it

Edited by Gti Fly, 20 September 2020 - 05:53 PM.

HawkerR32

HawkerR32

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationAltrincham, Cheshire

There are 2 filters; the  one people normally change their oil/filter with is on the firewall side. There is another filter on the radiator side where the oil cooler is attached. If you examine the top 2 pics/images, you can see what I am talking about.

The one that EVERYONE changes when doing oil changes is the one next to the oil cooler. You're really confused.
Instagram: hawkerr_j

Mk4 build thread: https://www.r32oc.com...k4/page__st__90

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Rove+eating+crow.jpg

I took the skid plate off, and realized my confusion vava.gif   My memory sucks! Right, left laying on back....

DubNurd

DubNurd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationWhangarei, NZ

We've all been there... a some point :-)

Just say it's left hand drive, and everything is the other way around... wink.gif

Allan

My non-Golf .:R32
29361330218_1f724845b0_o.jpg

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

On down the line: i-HV6D8jS-X3.jpg

Being pulled off the job by the SO, up the coast we go!  I'll have to finish up when we get back...

kgw

kgw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Back from a few days camping up the coast a ways...

Got the Setrab oil cooler remounted: much better separation between it and the AC condenser, 2"/50mm at top, 1 1/2"/38mm at bottom.

i-DZNvfnD-X3.jpg

Added oil, coolant, and started the engine to check for leaks: one of the oil sensors dripped, so I gave it another turn.  Restarted the engine with no leak good.gif  Put the VAD scanner to work to clear errors from unplugged sensors and found I had not plugged in the coolant return sensor or the MAF -- wacko.gif

More better now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.