Benzz R32 mk5 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Benzz R32 mk5

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

This thread will keep the progress of my current R32 project.

Picked it up from Scotland with 49,850 on the clock, FSH and only 2 prev owners.

Initial spec upon purchase:

Completely stock with:
- Heated R wingbacks
- Dual climate
- Various other options just no sunroof which I would have liked but settled for the low mileage and wingbacks!

Current Plans:

Security
Tracker - [Installed]
Disklok - [Installed]
Immobiliser - [Installed]

Mechanical
- Freshen up the whole suspension section;
- Bilstein B14 Coilovers, new top mounts front/rear, bearings, rear bump stops -  [Installed on 29/10/2020]
- Oem new droplinks -  [Installed on 29/10/2020]
- Whiteline Rear ARB -  [Installed on 13/11/2020]

- Whiteline Front ARB

- Whiteline bump stops

- Whiteline Front control arms/Anti lift -  [Ordered on 17/11/2020]

- Various Polybushes

- Sandblast and coat rear subframe plus new bushes and bolts.

- Sandblast and coat rear control arms and bolts.

- Sandblast and coat front hubs, new wheel bearings and bolts.

- Scorpion Non-Res exhaust system - [Installed on 25/09/2020]
- Forge induction - [Installed on 25/09/2020]
- Wind deflectors - [Installed on 25/09/2020]
- Recondition calipers and repaint yellow  [Installed on 30/09/2020]

- BBK for the front

Interior
- New car play compatible radio and applicable fascia - [Installed on 20/09/2020]
- Retrim steering wheel/replace with radio controls
- Retro fit Cruise Control

Bodywork/Exterior
- New wheels; Proline UX100 Grey  [Installed on 19/10/2020]
- Engine bay details, with minor colour coding.
- Replace coolant, oil and washer caps - [Installed on 20/09/2020]
- Replace coil plug covers with a blue set - [ready but waiting on blue cable covering]

- TRC Front Splitter -  [Installed on 13/11/2020]

- Rear integrated badge Reverse camera

- Rear led plate lights -  [Installed on 13/11/2020]

- Gloss black front grill replacement  [Ordered on 17/11/2020]

- Asses any underbody rust/surface rust, treat and protect where possible, otherwise replace affected items.

Aside from the above, I will keep it well maintained, plug regular spark, oil, and general servicing kept on top of either early or on time.

Poor pictures taken on the day of collection:

Attached File  851DCF15-0808-4EB1-A3B6-1CEF93F412F4.jpeg   78.09KB   2 downloads Attached File  AAA17F60-351E-4E1A-A1E0-950893E2248F.jpeg   45.17KB   3 downloads Attached File  AD26F24F-6DFB-4932-846B-FDCF1900E450.jpeg   105.33KB   2 downloads

How it currently sits as of 27/09/2020:
Attached File  F7A1380C-14F3-44C4-AB29-B0AF88FDD594.jpeg   63.12KB   1 downloads Attached File  68DAE538-A58B-44A8-A2BD-E93046806921.jpeg   65.17KB   1 downloads Attached File  F081C844-0CBD-4010-A8E0-5E0B8AC1D1EE.jpeg   87.89KB   1 downloads
Attached File  555305C5-D814-4500-A06D-5ADD1E863344.jpeg   81.88KB   1 downloads Attached File  10FD5EEB-4BB7-4D34-86D9-B14A9406FEA1.jpeg   44.36KB   1 downloads Attached File  78EC395D-7A66-4AFA-8F11-B25C9F9512A5.jpeg   100.89KB   1 downloads

Edited by Benzz, 18 November 2020 - 12:18 AM.

• daveyboy, MJVR6, filbro and 2 others like this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Update #01 - New radio

Decided on the Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB, combined with BassMonkeys oem style Fascia kit.

Removal:
Attached File  3CDA2860-54FD-4FB8-A2F4-2F264B8E68C1.jpeg   47.38KB   2 downloads

Installed:
Attached File  57AE0132-26F6-4604-989A-91917645CD45.jpeg   41.15KB   2 downloads Attached File  22E995C5-537F-4015-B603-5C84AEB14AA0.jpeg   72.5KB   2 downloads

Due to work and this being a weekend car I’ve not really had much usage just yet in the 2 weeks I’ve had it but the radio works well, DAB, Bluetooth and CarPlay.

I will be purchasing the reverse camera at some point and will have to remove/wire that I’m going forward.

Edited by Benzz, 24 September 2020 - 02:36 PM.

• daveyboy and masterpfa like this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Update #02

Unfortunately on my 300 mile drive home, I had a traction light come on, which did disappear after a restart at the services but then 30 or so miles later came back on again!

So when I got home, luckily a friend had a VAGCOM cable, we found several faults as per another post I made (will link it soon)

The main errors were in the ABS module and AWD module and things pointed towards a faulty Haldex controller, after looking under the car we could see why! - A nice corrosion/impact hole int he lower edge of the top casing, after speaking with the Haldexrepair team (auto fault finder) in Crewe we established it was best to take the unit off and ship it to them for review m.

Excellent turnaround, posted on Tuesday dinner time, assessed and repaired on Wednesday, fitted on Thursday by dinner!

I’ve cleared the persistent codes which have now finally disappeared, I am yet to test drive the car as I popped it back on during my lunch break so hopefully all is well, will update this later tonight with another addition too!'

Before photos:
Attached File  FCA4C4AA-5516-4F47-A200-24C4AFEC55F2.jpeg   68.94KB   1 downloads Attached File  1853CD12-2536-4FF4-9AC0-66FD1B55968B.jpeg   62.79KB   1 downloads

After repair photo:
Attached File  A723C1C7-33B0-41F7-B088-05B6B8B8C81F.jpeg   64.17KB   1 downloads

Edited by Benzz, 27 September 2020 - 09:14 PM.

• masterpfa likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
Is thar the outfit that repair them in some 'better than new' way?

Interesting thread, looking forward to progression.
  • Benzz likes this

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3304 posts
Nice find and purchase..Good to see you got it sorted
  • Benzz likes this

Muska

Muska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Lovely example, I like the sound of your plans too!

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Is thar the outfit that repair them in some 'better than new' way?

Interesting thread, looking forward to progression.

That's right, they do some form of recondition, reseal and laqcuer to prevent it or something, with a lifetime warranty on the work too :) 

Nice find and purchase..Good to see you got it sorted

Cheers Andy, it's a lovely drive now, just waiting for the coilovers, seems to be a short supply/long wait times at the moment; I can see my droplinks and shocks have seen better days so i'm sure it will be a more than welcome replacement.

Lovely example, I like the sound of your plans too!

Thanks Muska :) - I'm moving pretty quickly with the current changes, got two done today! - Will update tomorrow night with those after some pictures/testing.

• Muska likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I'll try to get some pictures up soon, I've managed to fit the scorpion cat back, wind deflectors and the Forge Induction :) 

Whilst the car sounds unreal, I do feel the slight drone you can get at a certain RPM is a little much for me, so I may have to find a centre silencer, wonder if Scorpion will sell me one seperately.... ?

Anyway, I've also ordered the drop links, suspension top mounts, bump stops, and anything relevant to refresh during my Bilstein B14 Coilover fitting; although it's not due until mid October!

Is there anything else I'm missing to refresh when I swap it out - Any powerflex bushings at all?

• iooroiidvd likes this

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Yes, scorpion will sell you the middle resonator separately, was 205 quid when I bought mine. Non res scorpion was too much for me, way too loud, bordering on ruining the car tbh. A res scorpion is ideal I feel, but doesn't get rid of all the drone just the vast majority of it but still when warmed up is loudish.
  • Benzz likes this

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Love that there is someone else beside me who has his original first post well organized!!! Always a good thing, to return there and see what is new and also track the progress down easily :)

About the car. Dayum, DPB and the Recaro's! You got my intention with that rofl.gif Anyways, to many years of great ownership and let's see what you got for us in the future ;)

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Yes, scorpion will sell you the middle resonator separately, was 205 quid when I bought mine. Non res scorpion was too much for me, way too loud, bordering on ruining the car tbh. A res scorpion is ideal I feel, but doesn't get rid of all the drone just the vast majority of it but still when warmed up is loudish.

Perfect, that's good to hear I can get hold of one; I get what you mean, whilst it sounds very very deep its borderline 5.0 mustang but with a little 'too' much added boom for me.. I've come from the RS stage 2 with sports cats, and even took a decat off my M140 an hour after installing it as it was wayyyy to loud wacko.gif

I'd be happy removing a majority of it to keep the scorpion sound under load, I think the worst part of it is light aceleration for me... most definitely needs turning down a notch :) - Cheers for the info.

Love that there is someone else beside me who has his original first post well organized!!! Always a good thing, to return there and see what is new and also track the progress down easily smile.gif

About the car. Dayum, DPB and the Recaro's! You got my intention with that rofl.gif Anyways, to many years of great ownership and let's see what you got for us in the future wink.gif

Haha cheers, I'm trying to keep it updated as much as possible just experimenting with the format at the moment, although I noticed you have yours well organised adore.gif  ( I may have to copy your linking to each section update, very good idea for tracking progress to the point blum.gif )

Thank you! - I love it already, coming from the Focus RS/M140i it's not got the same "oomph" as one would expect compared to a turbo hot hatch but I wanted one of these for so long and had to bite the bullet before it's too late.. so glad I did, its unique and looks 10x better than these new models/shapes manufacturers are dishing out, imo ofcourse!

Hoping to keep this one clean and going for the foreseeable :) - If all goes well I may have a few special updates come new year good.gif

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Cracking plans. If you already have B14’s, new top mounts and drop links, two additions you may wish to consider are Superpro front and rear antiroll bars and new bushes all round. It is a bit of work ( have a look at my thread in ‘New owner ‘ ) but worth it .  

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Cracking plans. If you already have B14’s, new top mounts and drop links, two additions you may wish to consider are Superpro front and rear antiroll bars and new bushes all round. It is a bit of work ( have a look at my thread in ‘New owner ‘ ) but worth it .  

Thanks :) - Yeah I have the B14's on order due mid October, I received the top mounts, drop links and spark plugs today.

I've checked your thread and its looking spot on, I hope to be in the same leauge at some point in the future biggrin.png  You've got some good changes going on, the superpro stuff is now on my radar!

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3304 posts
Another thing to consider is changing the console front arm bushes to super pro etc and a bottom mount insert or new mount..
Here is a vid of mine with scorpion res cat back

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Another thing to consider is changing the console front arm bushes to super pro etc and a bottom mount insert or new mount..
Here is a vid of mine with scorpion res cat back
https://youtu.be/eOA5MlBv4wE

Thanks for the video Andy, that sounds a lot less droney than mine currently; at the end of your video that ‘boomyness’ is what I get in all gears at most rpm especially light throttle.

To be fair on the motorway you can get it to be silent, but as soon as a slightest of incline appears and it requires any form of throttle to adjust the load it goes boomy.

Scorpion sorted me with a resonated centre section which is due within the next few working days so hopefully it’s what I was after :)

Cheers 🙂 I’ll take a look into those bushes, may well be worth doing at the same time as the change by the looks of it.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Oh yes. DSG mount. I used a Vibratechnic mount and it transformed the change, particular on pulling away wit absolutely no increase in vibration or harshness. 

• Benzz likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts

Yeah, vibratechnics all round for me a powerflex dog bone

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Oh yes. DSG mount. I used a Vibratechnic mount and it transformed the change, particular on pulling away wit absolutely no increase in vibration or harshness. 

That sounds good to me! - Was this a full replacement dogbone mount or just the bushes? - If so, where did you get this one from? :)

Yeah, vibratechnics all round for me a powerflex dog bone

Not seen the vibratechnics stuff, will have a look before I decide on the brand now :D - So many to choose from... Hoping the Coilovers don't get delayed - it's in need of a firmer more planted setup - Can't wait :) 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

I got mine from Awesome GTI . I retained the standard dogbone arm but with new bolts .

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Finally got round to getting the resonated centre section on last night.

PITA as the cat connecting side of the Res pipe was not perfectly circular so has to do some improvisation to get it shaped right!

So a 30min job turned into over an hour but I must say I’m more than happy with the noise levels, literally cannot believe the zero done this came out with compared to how bad it was previously with the non-res.

100% recommend the resonated section for those looking for a casual drive and mega sound only when you want it.

I’m now debating pairing it with a sports cat and downpipes as it’s more than quiet enough in the cabin to justify it now 😀

Non-res will be stored in the garage but potentially for sale.

Attached File  17C826DB-C194-40A6-B571-1392846943FE.jpeg   97.83KB   2 downloads

Edited by Benzz, 08 October 2020 - 12:37 PM.

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Could not agree with your more. My car came with a non res system. Lucifer on here sorted  me with a resonated cat back system which transformed the sound and eliminated the drone. New downpipes and sport cats just arrived so that’s my next job.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Could not agree with your more. My car came with a non res system. Lucifer on here sorted me with a resonated cat back system which transformed the sound and eliminated the drone. New downpipes and sport cats just arrived so that’s my next job.

I’ve read a lot of good feedback on lucifers system, I didn’t know until I’d already ordered my scorpion!

That sounds like your going to have an awesome sounding system then, which brand did you go for with the sports/downpipes?

Are you tackling this task yourself or popping it to a place with a ramp? :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Easy.Lucifers downpipes and cats.  Beautifully made and , if it is anything like the rest of the system, fitted extremely easily. Yep.Flat on my back, car on very big wooden blocks about 25cm high. Some of the manifold to downpipe nuts look a bit awkward to get at but all part of the fun. I have to replace one lambda sensor so have ordered both , so will swap those out at the same time.

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Not had chance to pop on in a while with work and other commitments..

Update on progress since my last post:

- New Pro-line alloys, plus 2 new PS4 front tyres.
- Ordered a Whiteline rear ARB
- power flex engine Mount and dogbone Mount insert as mine look fine with no cracks or obvious issue.
- Ordered a nice proper Sealey 3Ton trolley jack
- looking to now order the super pro or whiteline front control arms.
- Painted callipers yellow.

Attached File  14B4D813-C674-4DC7-B33C-C7AC279C4B38.jpeg   107.12KB   2 downloads Attached File  15899BEF-79CE-45C1-972E-F581142D9699.jpeg   93.79KB   3 downloads
Attached File  85EDDB5A-D73F-4148-955B-9A6071D7404B.jpeg   96.86KB   2 downloads Attached File  269DABE2-4B37-4BBC-BABC-B7E94C097244.jpeg   65.64KB   2 downloads

Need to do a little research before I order the control arms as personally I have no idea what anti lift and the adjustable ball joints are beneficial for and the difference between brand choices... I only know what I’ve dealt with before and usually just ARBs/springs for the usual upgrades but seeing as I want this as a proper project and refresh of parts I’ll be doing most if not all applicable parts to finish it off!

If anyone has any recommendations on superchargers, feel free to drop in a comment, I’m looking to go the supercharge route in Jan 2021. 👀😀

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Not had chance to pop on in a while with work and other commitments..
Update on progress since my last post:
- New Pro-line alloys, plus 2 new PS4 front tyres.
- Ordered a Whiteline rear ARB
- power flex engine Mount and dogbone Mount insert as mine look fine with no cracks or obvious issue.
- Ordered a nice proper Sealey 3Ton trolley jack
- looking to now order the super pro or whiteline front control arms.
- Painted callipers yellow.
attachicon.gif14B4D813-C674-4DC7-B33C-C7AC279C4B38.jpeg attachicon.gif15899BEF-79CE-45C1-972E-F581142D9699.jpeg
attachicon.gif85EDDB5A-D73F-4148-955B-9A6071D7404B.jpeg attachicon.gif269DABE2-4B37-4BBC-BABC-B7E94C097244.jpeg
Need to do a little research before I order the control arms as personally I have no idea what anti lift and the adjustable ball joints are beneficial for and the difference between brand choices... I only know what I’ve dealt with before and usually just ARBs/springs for the usual upgrades but seeing as I want this as a proper project and refresh of parts I’ll be doing most if not all applicable parts to finish it off!
If anyone has any recommendations on superchargers, feel free to drop in a comment, I’m looking to go the supercharge route in Jan 2021.

Contact Matt at Rushworth Performance for Supercharger set up.
There was a RUF and Rotrex Kit up for grabs on Faceache mate.

Mj
<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Nice wheels ! I used Superpro adjustable ball joints, to go with the Superpro arms . Advantage is that with them you can adjust camber but equally can set at at o.e. as I have for the moment . Supercharging . Impressive 

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

• Members
  • 690 posts
I read somewhere that TRD stopped offering the RUF charger conversion so Rushworth or Storm seem to be the two main charging options these days.

Edited by iooroiidvd, 20 October 2020 - 07:12 AM.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Contact Matt at Rushworth Performance for Supercharger set up.
There was a RUF and Rotrex Kit up for grabs on Faceache mate.

Mj

Cheers mate, will take a look at Rushworth over the next week or two :) 

Nice wheels ! I used Superpro adjustable ball joints, to go with the Superpro arms . Advantage is that with them you can adjust camber but equally can set at at o.e. as I have for the moment . Supercharging . Impressive 

Thanks! - Interesting choice, it does sound logical to do it that way, will add the ball joints to the list!

I read somewhere that TRD stopped offering the RUF charger conversion so Rushworth or Storm seem to be the two main charging options these days.

It seems supercharging is less common in offerings, more turbo's at the moment even though some still display superchargers on the website..

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Slow progress... mainly as I had a nightmare yesterday, for the life of me I could not budge that bolt holding in the rear shock... I do not have a blowtorch or an air gun so I'm booked in at my performance dealer on Thursday for hopefully a nice simple fitting job.......

So annoyed haha all the rest of the bolts came out easy enough!

I did fit another Scorpion rear box as the insides of mine all started coming out crazy.gif The hair like fibers so Scorpion sent me a free replacement, which I hoped for seeing as it was 100 or so miles old to begin with!!

So if anyone wants a cheap Scorpion non-res system feel free to get in touch, I have original boxes so it can be shipped but they are big, so we will quote courier prices upon any chats about it; the disclaimer is, the rear box insides started to come out, so it may require a cut and gut job or leave it, up to you, until I can be fussed putting it online for sale properly then it will sit in the garage.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

That lower damper bolt is tight. The tightening sequence is something like 80Nm plus 180 degrees which is bonkers tight( stretch bolts hence new ones required ) I used a 70cm Tommy bar . Oh, and Plusgas . They were both absolute s#%@s .

• Benzz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.