Benzz R32 mk5 - Page 2 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Benzz R32 mk5

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

I read somewhere that TRD stopped offering the RUF charger conversion so Rushworth or Storm seem to be the two main charging options these days.

Heard the same thing mate. Few of them RUF's have now come up for sale..

Mj

<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Slow progress... mainly as I had a nightmare yesterday, for the life of me I could not budge that bolt holding in the rear shock... I do not have a blowtorch or an air gun so I'm booked in at my performance dealer on Thursday for hopefully a nice simple fitting job.......

So annoyed haha all the rest of the bolts came out easy enough!

I did fit another Scorpion rear box as the insides of mine all started coming out crazy.gif The hair like fibers so Scorpion sent me a free replacement, which I hoped for seeing as it was 100 or so miles old to begin with!!

So if anyone wants a cheap Scorpion non-res system feel free to get in touch, I have original boxes so it can be shipped but they are big, so we will quote courier prices upon any chats about it; the disclaimer is, the rear box insides started to come out, so it may require a cut and gut job or leave it, up to you, until I can be fussed putting it online for sale properly then it will sit in the garage.

Where you based mate as I may have someone after the Scorpion Box.

Mj

<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

That lower damper bolt is tight. The tightening sequence is something like 80Nm plus 180 degrees which is bonkers tight( stretch bolts hence new ones required ) I used a 70cm Tommy bar . Oh, and Plusgas . They were both absolute s#%@s .

So we got there in the end, absolute pain, blowtorch out and a decent size breaker bar and we got there.. one side came out ok but the side I was trying the whole bush bit on the old dampener came out with it so maybe that was the issue 😂

Where you based mate as I may have someone after the Scorpion Box.

Mj

Hey mate - I can be accessible anywhere between Trafford and Leigh but may have someone for this (someone I know)

Will let you know if he doesn’t want it though.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Finally got round to the Bilstein B14’s yesterday.

We came across a good few issues which now has my project list growing!

So the install we looked to tackle the rear first, springs out no problems but the lower dampener bolts were not fun, blowtorch and some force/penetrating fluids eventually allowed us to remove them; one bolt came with the inner bush from the old dampener so it’s a good job it was being replaced and not just a bump stop job!

Seeing as the rear arb is being replaced to we just cut off the drop links to make life easier.

Onto the fronts, the ball joint bolts felt like they would snap even under the lightest of pressure so we got replacements on order which due to being trade they delivered within the hour; and as we guessed all 3 on both sides snapped instantly!

Hubs off, we have them a bit of a clean/recondition whilst it was all taken off, stripped the arches and gave the area a clean and also replaced my alarm (re-riveted back on) seeing as it was flagging as faulty in ECDS (no sound but flashing indicators)

New kit in and very happy with the short drive I did home.

Attached File  FB00A29A-C506-466D-AA63-3934CC8AEFCE.jpeg   56.46KB   0 downloads Attached File  E98AF5CB-03BC-45AF-B60F-15DC3166A9B3.jpeg   41.97KB   1 downloads
Attached File  A6889BC5-5DFC-499D-86EA-3BE3DA9BF269.jpeg   34.53KB   1 downloads Attached File  38E892CF-3E8B-4535-8681-8699344187AC.jpeg   78.57KB   1 downloads

During the install we decided to make life easier on the bushings and for the condition or my rear sun frame that we are now going to source another subframe, sandblast and powder coat this, then add new bushes and do a transplant onto my car along with new rear arms, etc which will also be powdercoated.

Edited by Benzz, 30 October 2020 - 06:44 PM.

• iooroiidvd and illegalr32 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Good call on the rear subframe transplant . Particularly if you can get all the arms and the frame coated and rebushed before you start dismantling . Makes the process much more pleasant . If you are removing the hubs, plan on replacing the wheel bearings . They come with new bolts and a new driveshaft bolt , which is handy . 

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Oh. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know the spring rates for your B14 kit?

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Good call on the rear subframe transplant . Particularly if you can get all the arms and the frame coated and rebushed before you start dismantling . Makes the process much more pleasant . If you are removing the hubs, plan on replacing the wheel bearings . They come with new bolts and a new driveshaft bolt , which is handy .

Yeah that’s the plan with the new subframe, hopefully a lot easier all round.

That’s good to know about the bearings coming with the bolts, I did think whilst the hubs are being done it’s worthwhile just replacing bearings whilst it’s out, covered 50k and going supercharger route so fresh ones would make sense!

The list has grown and I think it’ll be a 8-12 month project to get it where I want it to be but I should have the front ARB, alloy control arms and joints all done before Xmas.

Aiming for Feb-April for the supercharger now as I fancy getting some more of the steering components uprated prior to more power.

BBK is on the horizon and will be done before or shortly after the supercharger!

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Gave the interior a full clean today after the rain passed.

Carpets were wet vacuumed, air on decontamination, plastic and leather care applied and a check on how the springs are settling, rears are sat nicely but the front needs a little tweak.

Attached File  4E858581-3729-499C-992B-3C9C9E8D086B.jpeg   72.41KB   1 downloads Attached File  09DA581D-687E-4914-9A0B-3187D01A2E53.jpeg   91.41KB   1 downloads
Attached File  B8FAD81B-947C-4C45-ABD1-5A62C27ADA94.jpeg   41.46KB   1 downloads Attached File  489BC56C-98B4-4315-9238-799990618FC9.jpeg   27.34KB   1 downloads

Also, managed to pop the power flex dogbone Mount insert in, my bush was fine with no wear/cracks so made sense to use this for now; the difference it makes is very noticeable with little to no increase in NVH, impressed for the cost and how easy it was to fit (5-10mins)

Attached File  D4E5ED9C-3384-4989-89BB-A32948B6688F.jpeg   52.36KB   1 downloads

Edited by Benzz, 01 November 2020 - 12:31 AM.

• illegalr32 likes this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Stance looks pretty good. I am glad it all went together without too much more drama . By the time you have finished, you will have an absolutely lovely R32 . Impressive, For the rear subframe , I very nearly removed mine , given that all the suspension components had already been removed, so there was only the diff left. Now I wish I had but hey ho. However, there is one minor snag which you may face . On the VW parts diagram, there is a join in the rear brake line on the nearside whee the pipe exits  from under the floor splash guard. That makes it easy to remove the subframe and leave the pipe in place . However, on my car , no such join, so it may have been possible to loosen the frame , drop it , say 20mm , and then unclip the line from the frame , leaving it in place as the frame plus diff was lowered fo the floor. However, that was/is a guess on my part , so plan ‘b’ was to cut the line and then install a male to female join on rebuild .

So,be prepared for that bit of drama , as it will require at least one flare to be made in situ . 
PS Yellow works really well with the blue and black . Neat .

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

God damn haha. So many UK R32's have Wingbacks! These are the next goal on my to do list! Best looking seats ever :D

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Exactly my thoughts . However, being odd and contrary , I prefer a leather / cloth combination to all leather . Which is why the Vauxhall vxr seats have some attraction , even though they are not quite Recarro CS seats but made by Recarro for the Corsa . The other ones I really like are the Nissan Juke Nismo Recarros which are the JDM equivalent of the CS . Think they arecalled the GT6 or something like that but only available for the Japanese /US market . 
Anyway Illegal, I thought you were going down the Pole Position route with yours ? 

• illegalr32 likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Stance looks pretty good. I am glad it all went together without too much more drama . By the time you have finished, you will have an absolutely lovely R32 . Impressive, For the rear subframe , I very nearly removed mine , given that all the suspension components had already been removed, so there was only the diff left. Now I wish I had but hey ho. However, there is one minor snag which you may face . On the VW parts diagram, there is a join in the rear brake line on the nearside whee the pipe exits from under the floor splash guard. That makes it easy to remove the subframe and leave the pipe in place . However, on my car , no such join, so it may have been possible to loosen the frame , drop it , say 20mm , and then unclip the line from the frame , leaving it in place as the frame plus diff was lowered fo the floor. However, that was/is a guess on my part , so plan ‘b’ was to cut the line and then install a male to female join on rebuild .
So,be prepared for that bit of drama , as it will require at least one flare to be made in situ .
PS Yellow works really well with the blue and black . Neat .

Thank you for the extra advice once again haha :)

It may not seem it but I’m trying to keep up with you, your build is awesome and I wish I had the time and dedication to be able to do most of the work on the drive but it seems my tools and some corrosion here and there makes jobs a lot harder... I’m used to working with 1-4 year old cars where everything is so much easier and pops right off 😂

By the end of it, I’d like to think any tinkering that may be needed should be a lot easier as it’s all being replaced along with additional rust protection/lubricants where it’s sensible to use it.

I’ll have to catch up on your thread later tonight 😁 yours and illegals are on my watch list as you both have done things I intend to complete on mine and I am in awe to say the least haha.

God damn haha. So many UK R32's have Wingbacks! These are the next goal on my to do list! Best looking seats ever :D

I may have wingbacks, but your body kit and current additions are spot on, I’m struggling to find the rear diffuser in gloss black so I may have to buy with the spoiler and send for a spray, they are on the list for Xmas orders.

The wingbacks are very very comfy, the heated element still being there is an added bonus, 250 trip back home on collected and my back was fine!

I agree with Andy there, the VXR seats when I had a corsa they were very nice being leather/cloth and were just as comfy. I found the focus RS mk3 ones to be the least comfy and non-adjustable!! (Height up/down)

If I fancy it later down the line, I may have the bolsters re-trimmed and the middle re-done in alacantra or another style. Although that would be last on the list if I even wanted to amend the original design, the bolsters are in good condition for 50k so I can’t really complain just yet... I’ll only cover 2-3k at most per year at a push so I doubt they will wear anytime soon.

Edited by Benzz, 01 November 2020 - 03:19 PM.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Had a busy few weeks!

When I had time I got round to a few new upgrades :)

Whiteline rear Anti-roll bar is now on:
Attached File  D711F3CE-0609-46A9-B64F-78735D85AB58.jpeg   55.79KB   1 downloads

TRC front splitter:
Attached File  391D60B6-8EEF-4008-87B2-A349F564D722.jpeg   68.95KB   1 downloads Attached File  57B257D8-6994-4FCC-81A5-E0DB673DDF2E.jpeg   64.86KB   1 downloads

I’ve decided on ordering the Whiteline front anti lift control arms, and bump steer/roll correction kit which is due tomorrow, along with a gloss black front grill!

Hoping to have the front whiteline ARB, new dogbone bush and front subframe bolts replaced by the end of Jan before I prep for the new rear subframe/arms job then onto some extra power/braking upgrades 😬

If the weather is dry this weekend I’ll get round to putting my grille on, black VW badges and the rear integrated badge reverse camera!

Edited by Benzz, 18 November 2020 - 09:35 PM.

• daveyboy, iooroiidvd and illegalr32 like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Right. I have had that splitter in my eBay basket for about a month. Now I have seen yours I will hit the ‘buy’ button. It looks great . Oh, front grill in black. I bought one and fitted it . Pleased with the outcome but , being an aftermarket copy, the fit on the front panel underneath the bonnet was not quite correct, but o.k 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.