Benzz R32 mk5 - Page 3 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Benzz R32 mk5

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

illegalr32

illegalr32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I am static (for now) on KW V2 coilies, pretty much dropped all the way down and I have maxton design side skirt extensions. With super low profile jack stand (I believe it is 6-7cm high) I can barely get beneath it somethimes I even have to pull the extension upwards :) so yes definitely a thing to consider if anything happens on the road you are pretty much in big 💩

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Fitted all of the recent Whiteline and vibratechnics purchases last Thursday smile.gif

Getting prepped:

Attached File  9611B148-A550-4642-A42F-99861D78CC30.jpeg   79.32KB   3 downloads Attached File  3C0147F0-9C82-4F26-951B-7DEACE573794.jpeg   78.88KB   3 downloads Attached File  57393CC6-1C8D-46B2-A8C6-6C4D1B3B6DF5.jpeg   69.08KB   3 downloads

Vibra Subframe bush and whiteline dogbone mount:

Attached File  2651450F-6CE3-4AE6-B515-8E68971B355C.jpeg   90.68KB   1 downloads Attached File  7828E677-CFBB-44B0-BA5E-CE819FE87F60.jpeg   92.55KB   1 downloads

Attached File  E479A7BF-BE1F-49F3-8A95-A5E90D4A7BDB.jpeg   99.45KB   1 downloads Attached File  0E1ED3E6-83AE-44F2-BAD4-05C45D29D7DF.jpeg   69.93KB   1 downloads

Front ARB compared to oem:

Attached File  98271E1B-4388-4D04-B95F-BF8D1FAC30D3.jpeg   86.98KB   1 downloads

Control arms, wishbones, ball joints and bushes, the wishbones were upside down at this point.... luckily a test fit haha..

Attached File  C97FB93E-D7CF-45CC-9691-53209D9C4FFC.jpeg   63.43KB   1 downloads

Then I forgot to get a picture of the end result back together, and one of the whiteline steering rack bush..

I desperately need a front alignement, but I can say it feels excellent to drive even without, its not harsh or no obvious increase in NVH - just feels smooth and consistent, if anything VERY smooth on the road, pot hole are hot holes so can't change those, but the driving is comfortable and feels precise and responsive all round.

Also ordered a set of fully refurbed 18Z Brembos (with fitting kit) in Yellow from SF-Tuning with some C/J Hook 350mm discs and EBC yellowstuff pads, along with a set of the same discs and pads for the rear to finish up the look. (image is someone elses set but it will be the same!) 

Attached File  D880CB38-1C8B-435B-A1CC-8B6215CEF728.jpeg   83.55KB   1 downloads

Edited by Benzz, 02 February 2021 - 09:38 PM.

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I am static (for now) on KW V2 coilies, pretty much dropped all the way down and I have maxton design side skirt extensions. With super low profile jack stand (I believe it is 6-7cm high) I can barely get beneath it somethimes I even have to pull the extension upwards smile.gif so yes definitely a thing to consider if anything happens on the road you are pretty much in big

Someone with the experience first hand then! - I'd love side skirt extensions but I really can't be bothered with a toe/loader home if I happen to get a flat tyre somewhere as that will also lower it more! haha...

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

The brake kit looks excellent

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Spoiler arrived today, need a proper prime and spray job.. probably won’t have this done for a month or two as I have other plans prior and also my motorbike insurance/MOT due in March!!

Attached File  48339171-1FF1-4ACA-9554-2308E37C9C2D.jpeg   61.61KB   1 downloads Attached File  2F9C2483-2B63-45F5-8435-68988319F669.jpeg   56.46KB   1 downloads
Attached File  804A9306-588D-4373-AB0A-6863C8E80473.jpeg   61.09KB   1 downloads Attached File  87AEC2AE-4FA8-4E4E-A0CA-EDC99095E8BC.jpeg   62.32KB   1 downloads

I also received the K-Brace but the wrong colour... they are exchanging so another week wait on this one..

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Looks very nice. I take it that once painted it is just glued/ bonded over the original , or is it a bit more complicated than that ?  

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Looks very nice. I take it that once painted it is just glued/ bonded over the original , or is it a bit more complicated than that ?  

Yeah that should be all that is required, I did the same on my previous M140i - Used 3M tape around the edges and dotted between, then used a clear sealant on the edges to stop water and also bond.. it survived many high speed runs and plenty of motorway driving without budging once so seemed to do the trick.

I want their rear half bumper/diffuser now too... so much to spend on... it will have to wait unfortunately!

Edited by Benzz, 08 February 2021 - 09:48 PM.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

I know.I did not get a reply from them via an ebay message. I suspect that using the ‘offer’ option would do the trick. However, I would also like a mill drill and can definitely not afford both . The rear diffuser of theirs is really neat, but as that also needs paint , doing both the diffuser and the spoiler at the same time makes a lot of sense, especially as that is a job I have have to pay someone else to do. My painting skills are confined to rattle cans or, if using a spray gun, odd items like calipers or bits that are not so much on show like engine bays . 

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I know.I did not get a reply from them via an ebay message. I suspect that using the ‘offer’ option would do the trick. However, I would also like a mill drill and can definitely not afford both . The rear diffuser of theirs is really neat, but as that also needs paint , doing both the diffuser and the spoiler at the same time makes a lot of sense, especially as that is a job I have have to pay someone else to do. My painting skills are confined to rattle cans or, if using a spray gun, odd items like calipers or bits that are not so much on show like engine bays .

Yeah I’d imagine the offer button will get their attention, hard isn’t it the choice between car parts or useful tools haha... like you say though both will be best to be painted at the same time so I may just keep hold of the spoiler until I buy the bumper and do a 2in1 job.. no rush, I have it now so 1/2 down...

At least you can utilise some spray skills to save some money :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

My car is diamond black metallic. Well beyond my pay grade to get that right ! 

• Benzz likes this

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
K-Brace arrived - Will try to get this on at the weekend!

Attached File  AD7499F0-65D8-438D-B8F3-945D7A971AF6.jpeg   85.78KB   1 downloads

Also got my 4 wheel alignment finally booked for early Saturday morning... forgot the cost of these to be setup properly 😂 another expense that I will need again after the rear subframe job!

Edited by Benzz, 11 February 2021 - 02:08 PM.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Neat brace. I did not appreciate that the inner wing towers would be fit from extra bracing as they only have to deal with damping forces, but I guess anything that contributes to shell stiffness is a good call. A bridge too far for me as my race bike would no longer fit in the back with one of those in place. However, I do have a plan to stiffen up the rear end ........I am looking forward to seeing it in place when you drop round for a rear subframe. Oh. Rivnuts. Used them loads in many car builds, and they are great for brackets , supports etc, but , if you can, I would be tempted to use m10 nuts and bolts  The Rivnut is not clamped as tightly as a nut and bolt , and I fear that the junction between the brace and the inner wing will flex slightly using them, which would rather defeat the purpose of the brace . However, the manufacturer has recommended them , so I imagine they will have done some testing and decided that Rivnuts are suitable

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Neat brace. I did not appreciate that the inner wing towers would be fit from extra bracing as they only have to deal with damping forces, but I guess anything that contributes to shell stiffness is a good call. A bridge too far for me as my race bike would no longer fit in the back with one of those in place. However, I do have a plan to stiffen up the rear end ........I am looking forward to seeing it in place when you drop round for a rear subframe. Oh. Rivnuts. Used them loads in many car builds, and they are great for brackets , supports etc, but , if you can, I would be tempted to use m10 nuts and bolts The Rivnut is not clamped as tightly as a nut and bolt , and I fear that the junction between the brace and the inner wing will flex slightly using them, which would rather defeat the purpose of the brace . However, the manufacturer has recommended them , so I imagine they will have done some testing and decided that Rivnuts are suitable

Thanks for the info Andy I’ll bear it in mind when I go to fit it :) if I’m honest I fancied a brace even if it’s not 100% required... more of an impulse buy as I should have really bought the UR strut brace or under brace for a better bracing benefit all round... :P

Had the alignment done now and it drives much better although a slight metallic clink from the rear when I set off, can only be heard when the window is down so I need to check clearance with the ARB/bolts and springs to make sure nothing is rubbing or catching now it’s all adjusted to tolerances...

I’ll PM you soon regarding the subframe to arrange the day :)

Benzz

Benzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

So after a little time away from here for various reasons I'll be a little more active but not much progress apart from the below will happen for another 2 months due to a recent house move soaking up funds making the final touches... needs must and all that haha...

Added a set of nice and cheap sequential smoked mirror indicators from AliExpress which look and work well... and sorted the rear wiper delete - Quality kit from KillAllWipers, just long wait times but well worth it.

I installed the K-Brace - But do not have many photos from after I properly trimmed the boot foam/floor carpet:

Attached File  4E7D36A5-EEF2-4D4C-BDEB-BBF6F34B4770.jpeg   93.27KB   0 downloads

Plug refresh a few weeks back:

Attached File  43383FD0-680B-49DA-8604-E2D73DC0DBD6.jpeg   68.13KB   0 downloads

The Brembo 18Z were fitted with Mtec C-Hook discs and EBC Yellow Stuff pads (front and rear disc/pads) plus HEL Lines and a fluid refresh.

I had to remove my Whiteline Balljoints.... they portuded a little too much at an angle for the larger discs which meant they would rub.. so these will be up for sale soon, probably only covered 300 miles at most - had to go back to oem ones for this BBK setup.

Attached File  E62730B0-78C5-4052-A3E1-C998500ADB4A.jpeg   80.63KB   0 downloads Attached File  C69D6774-82FC-4645-A175-2FB5AFCCCBF9.jpeg   81.32KB   0 downloads Attached File  C444B14E-D3FF-4445-A8D1-25D2AEFB8207.jpeg   82.47KB   0 downloads

Then a couple shots of how it sits at the moment after its recent wash, wax and seal:

Attached File  30823B72-3103-45A7-8FFC-A2A3BF4E066D.jpeg   63.01KB   0 downloads Attached File  4E9D3468-7B91-4862-8999-E094236EB61A.jpeg   78.25KB   0 downloads Attached File  2F2A046F-B6EC-402C-808C-4772C0A92F14.jpeg   68.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2F2A046F-B6EC-402C-808C-4772C0A92F14.jpeg   68.2KB   0 downloads Attached File  CB0837E6-8F7B-4479-A005-1A4B44AE4BC2.jpeg   87.04KB   0 downloads Attached File  B76369B6-9AD0-4B83-AAD8-F657134CB559.jpeg   56.93KB   0 downloads

Overall the brake pedal feels fine, still responsive, it was a little spongier than I recall when I first had them done but unsure if the pads have now settled or not but it bites well and only needs a light press to engage some good braking - Luckily I have never had to give anything firm as of yet, other than a quick test... safe to say they work well biggrin.gif

I will be collecting the rear sub from Andy soon, which will be off for sand blast/powder coat, polybushed and then put onto my car with new rear arms and wishbones etc (which will also be powdercoated)

I've noticed my front right wheel bearing which did hum around 70mph is now worse with the BBK, you can hear it a little more so I will get both front bearings replaced and whilst its off will powdercoat the hub/knuckles too along with a Stud conversion so the discs/spacers are held up when you take off the wheel smile.gif

I'll update more as I progress!

Edited by Benzz, 30 April 2021 - 10:25 AM.

• filbro and iooroiidvd like this

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Looking really good. The brakes look great though the wheels and yellow works so well with the blue . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.