MK5 R32 Upper Chain Tensioner Bolt Replacement - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

MK5 R32 Upper Chain Tensioner Bolt Replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

lagsmcgee

lagsmcgee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Folks,

Norwich based Silver R32 DSG Owner.

I have a 06 MK5 which has done about 90k miles.

Unfortunately, it has started to make the infamous marble sound on the chain side of the engine. However, I understand that this can be due to the upper chain tensioner bolt (03H 019 507) getting clogged and crunchy over time thus not keeping proper tension.

I queried this with VW (as I am getting other servicing bits and pieces sorted) with regards to replacing just that bolt as it is located on the back of the engine and can be seen from the engine bay, and they advised against it as it will cause timing issues or the chain to skip a tooth when replaced so would need the timing chains replaced as a whole. I have seen a couple of other posts online of people replacing said bolt fine with no issue and thus curing the chatter and in theory, pro-longing their chains but not enough to give me sound confidence to go down this route.

Now I didn't know if this was a common fix that people do given that the bolt is around £30ish or will replacing it cause timing issues? Thus is it better biting the bullet (and bill) and getting the chains done, I have not had mine checked on VCDS yet so don't know if this is overkill at this point?

I am sorry if this has been covered at length somewhere else, this is my first time using the site and posting.

Regards,
Lags

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Hello Folks,

Norwich based Silver R32 DSG Owner.

I have a 06 MK5 which has done about 90k miles.

Unfortunately, it has started to make the infamous marble sound on the chain side of the engine. However, I understand that this can be due to the upper chain tensioner bolt (03H 019 507) getting clogged and crunchy over time thus not keeping proper tension.

I queried this with VW (as I am getting other servicing bits and pieces sorted) with regards to replacing just that bolt as it is located on the back of the engine and can be seen from the engine bay, and they advised against it as it will cause timing issues or the chain to skip a tooth when replaced so would need the timing chains replaced as a whole. I have seen a couple of other posts online of people replacing said bolt fine with no issue and thus curing the chatter and in theory, pro-longing their chains but not enough to give me sound confidence to go down this route.

Now I didn't know if this was a common fix that people do given that the bolt is around £30ish or will replacing it cause timing issues? Thus is it better biting the bullet (and bill) and getting the chains done, I have not had mine checked on VCDS yet so don't know if this is overkill at this point?

I am sorry if this has been covered at length somewhere else, this is my first time using the site and posting.

Regards,
Lags

Orrite Lags, 

Have you done an oil change on the MK5 yet?
Iv'e known from a few friends on there MK5's once oil change has been done alot has been cured.
Few whom had bad readings from chain, But when Oil change had been done all changes.

Id do that first before getting the Tensioner bolt, IF the sound remains still, Get the Chains read and then take it from there.

Mj

<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.