Which headunit do I have and BT options - In Car Entertainment - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Which headunit do I have and BT options

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Been reading this forum for the past week, mega confusing lol! I have a standard stereo with 6 CD and mfsw in my 07 R32 and wanted to know firstly what it is and also if I have Bluetooth options with this unit? If I did buy an RCD/RNS variant with built in BT what is the connectivity like. What would I have to look for when buying a unit regarding codes...if I doesn’t have a code are they available after? Bluetooth is my big thing, DaB would be nice...are there any units to not buy in case they don’t fit..mk7??

This actually gives me anxiety so apologies!

Attached Files

Edited by AdamB, 03 November 2020 - 06:13 AM.

MKIV - DBP - Non Res Miltek - Carbonio - H&R's

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have no idea why that picture is sideways

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3304 posts
Probably better buying the rns330 plus which is oem and build in blue tooth or an android header unit that has ever thing built in..
As for orig rns510 and blue tooth the head unit is bout £300 bluetooth unit bout £200

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Thanks Andy, is there anything I should look for when buying a second hand unit with codes etc? I have Apple Music so not sure that will work with the Android unit

Cheers

Adam

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Have these No-name rns330 devices good quality? They seem a good way to go...would I lose the steering wheel controls with them?

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3304 posts
https://www.ebay.co....tm/173824562677
Bit like these units

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Will look into these thanks. Would it be possible just for now to add Bluetooth to this headunit I have? The option is in the menu but not highlighted only the Aux one is...wherever that may be or does that mean the CD changer...

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Can anyone help with what model head unit I have and the BT options available? As I say it does have a BT option but it’s not available, so can I retro fit for my IPhone? Thanks

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts
Looks like the unit you have is the later touch screen RCD510, therefore I assume it's been retrofitted at some point. The OEM units fitted to the MK5 R32 were the RCD300, RCD500, MFD2 and RNS510.

You can retrofit the OEM BT module, which is normally located under the driver's seat. Which part number module and phone compatability and functionality is a bit of a minefield to be honest.
Information and kits are available from this company in Poland, however once you've identified which part number you require you can normally source on eBay / UK companies.
https://www.carsyste...uetooth,c3.html

Edited by cuprabob, 15 November 2020 - 11:40 AM.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Brilliant, really appriciate that. There is loads so it going to take a bit to figure out what I need. Just wish it was more straight forward without spending £200-300!

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

You don't need to spend £2 - £3 hundred quid. Firstly you don't know what head unit you have, and I must disagree with my learned friend Cuprabob, I don't think that is an RCD510, too many buttons missing. You need to take it out to see what it is. Also check to see if you have the code for it, if it is an OEM unit.

A lot of the newer VW bluetooth modules do not work with the red MFD on the R32. It really can be a minefield unless you know what you really want.

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

i just want Bluetooth and DAB just like my MK7, I don't know if I have the radio code i'm assuming it must come in the book pack? looks like I will have to remove the radio and check what it says on the back. I would obv like to keep the MFD all working and my steering wheel controls as well

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
If the mfd is working, I.e. Displaying the radio station etc, then you have a vw oem head unit. The aftermarket systems don't show up in the mfd.
If all you want is plug and play dab and Bluetooth, have a look at the dension range of gateways and dab extensions. I have one, they need no coding or expertise other than being able to remove the head unit and run a dab aerial into the car.

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Have you got a link to what you have bought Chris? Thanks

Adam

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
And yes all the stations show up on the MFD...

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Just Google dension they have their own website. I bought a gateway pro bt and the dab g adaptor. The gateway pro will do all your phone and stream music from it, the dab is an extra adaptor.
As your car has a mk6 head unit, you may be best putting the compatability thing on mk6 golf not mk5 to get what you need, the functionality is the same as far as I am aware.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts

Firstly you don't know what head unit you have, and I must disagree with my learned friend Cuprabob, I don't think that is an RCD510, too many buttons missing.

I'm pretty confident it is a RCD510 he has, as I have the exact same unit in my Scirocco. With reference to the "missing buttons", the RNS510 has an extra button on each side and the RCD500 has a number of buttons across the bottom. Possibly you are thinking of one of these units.

Edited by cuprabob, 18 November 2020 - 03:40 PM.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts
As suggested by ChrisR32Blue, this Dension product might do what you want;
https://www.dension....-m-dab-receiver

Another option is if you can pick up a 2nd hand RNS315 as some of those are DAB and have integrated BT.

As I think you're headunit has been retrofitted just double check you have the security code before disconnecting it or you have a flat battery. As the security code is only required if the headunit is not fitted to the car it left the factory in, the code is not normally included in the pack. I'm hoping whoever retrofitted the unit into your car wrote it down somewhere :)

Edited by cuprabob, 18 November 2020 - 04:05 PM.

ChrisR32Blue

ChrisR32Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I think if you want it to display in mfd and use steering wheel buttons you'll need the gateway pro bt. The one Bob linked is universal and just uses the radio frequency.
There's only one model of gateway pro bt that's compatible with vw, you can't go wrong really. Just done quick Google, you need this https://www.carcommu...honeusb-car-kit

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts

I think if you want it to display in mfd and use steering wheel buttons you'll need the gateway pro bt. The one Bob linked is universal and just uses the radio frequency.

Cheers, I missed it was the universal RF one :)

AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Guys honestly thanks for your help it's much appriciated. So there is a coupe of options

RNS 330 (NoName)

RNS 315 with DAB and BT

Denison Gateway Pro & DAB G adapter (Plug and play for my headunit)

If I do not have the code what are my options when I disconnect it, £10 from the dealer to get the code?

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19293 posts

If I do not have the code what are my options when I disconnect it, £10 from the dealer to get the code?

I varies from dealer to dealer on how helpful they are on providing the code, especially if you don't know the original car the headunit was fitted to. It kind of defeats the purpose of a security code if its5easy to obtain :)
There are various people on eBay who will give you the code if you give them the headunit serial number and some money. I'm a bit cynical, however some people seem to have used them and the code provided has worked.

Edited by cuprabob, 19 November 2020 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.