Engine out for timing, what else would you get done? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Engine out for timing, what else would you get done?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

My MK4 cut out on me, it turns over but won't fire.

RAC looked at it today and think it may be the timing, if it is and the engine comes out for it what else would be worth getting done whilst the engine is out?

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Hmm. That depends upon a whole load of things. If everything is in otherwise excellent condition, then little more to do than the chains.However, if the chains need doing due to high mileage wear, then you might want to consider a new clutch whilst the engine is out, Rhe engine internals themselves should be in good shape, provided service intervals have been maintained. It looks as if these engines are capable of very high mileage before requiring major overhaul, the cam chains being the exception. All the ancillaries are worth a good look at , and a new alternator belt a good precaution. Great opportunity to give the engine bay a good clean .

Just my thoughts.Others on here are far more experienced .

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

Thanks for the response, to clarify, it's a one previous owner car with full service history, I've had it for the last seven years and kept up with the servicing via the same independent VAG approved garage, used it as a daily driver, currently at 150k miles.

Clutch sounds like a good idea.

kingswood

kingswood

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationHull

what else is worth getting done?

prob the local bank with a bill that will be coming your way!!

glad to see youre repairing it tho :-)

Tj0785

Tj0785

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Turbo while it’s out

Edited by Tj0785, 18 December 2020 - 11:47 AM.

DDA_R32

DDA_R32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Clutch and flywheel for a MK5 is a must whilst the engine is out... I'm assuming this is the same for the MK4! 

MK5 R32 - 6 on the floor - Bilstein B14's - Whiteline Front & Rear ARB's - Whiteline Adjustable Drop Links

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5464 posts
When I had my chains done, it had a bunch of other things done

Timing chains, guides. Tensioners etc., the 2 intermidiate sprockets as they wear out too.

Water pump , thermostat as why the hell not
Check the 'crack pipe' coolant pipe for damage

Various gaskets

Changed the spark plugs

Check the vvt units work properly. Check the tiny oil screens inside them are as they should be

.new clutch. New clutch slave cylinder. New flywheel

And I fitted upgraded cams at the same time .

Check the downpipes and manifolds are in order too, if need be upgrade :)

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

At that sort of mileage, despite the excellent servicing , once the engine is out, the rule is that expect to replace most items and be grateful is some parts are serviceable . You do not want to take the engine out again for perhaps another 150k

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

Turbo while it’s out

Turbo over a supercharger? I realise it's more power but would it change the dynamic of the car too much?

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

When I had my chains done, it had a bunch of other things done

Timing chains, guides. Tensioners etc., the 2 intermidiate sprockets as they wear out too.

Water pump , thermostat as why the hell not
Check the 'crack pipe' coolant pipe for damage

Various gaskets

Changed the spark plugs

Check the vvt units work properly. Check the tiny oil screens inside them are as they should be

.new clutch. New clutch slave cylinder. New flywheel

And I fitted upgraded cams at the same time .

Check the downpipes and manifolds are in order too, if need be upgrade smile.gif

Wow thanks for the whole list, that's really useful.

I'd actually previously looked at manifolds after doing my exhaust but didn't go through with it at the time due to work commitments.

Do you loose anything with a cams upgrade?

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

At that sort of mileage, despite the excellent servicing , once the engine is out, the rule is that expect to replace most items and be grateful is some parts are serviceable . You do not want to take the engine out again for perhaps another 150k

Good point, thanks.

DougalR

DougalR

South East Organiser

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 6819 posts
  • LocationKent, near Canterbury

My MK4 cut out on me, it turns over but won't fire.

RAC looked at it today and think it may be the timing, if it is and the engine comes out for it what else would be worth getting done whilst the engine is out?

Replace the Propshaft coupling/doughnut. Meyle HD ones are about 60 quid on ebay. 

May the boost be with you

.:Rotrex powered sleeper...well sort of.... :)
You can only plan so far.....After that, well you have to take a few leaps of faith.......

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

Thanks for all the response, there is some great information here.

In the end it wasn't the timing, I had a high-flow fuel pump fitted that had burst the fuel line.

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

That must be a relief

McPikie

McPikie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Now don't go scaring yourself and checking the chain values on VCDS. You're looking at £2k roughly to do the chains, sprockets, tensioners, dmf and clutch

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationFulham

That must be a relief

Yup, best bit of news to start the year with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.