Suspension refresh - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Suspension refresh

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Aaronteague

Aaronteague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I’m currently gathering the bits to refresh the suspension on the R and was wondering what benefits (if any) would come from fitting solid bushings in the rear diff cradle? Ie the ones that bolt it to the body. I’m not building a track car so don’t want/need it ridiculously stiff. TIA Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Now that is a very good question. Those 4 bushes are all about noise and vibration isolation . How much movement they introduce into the rear suspension geometry and the subsequent impact of such movement is hard to know. For a track day toy, the rear suspension does not want to move independently from the rest of the chassis , so fixing the subframe is a must. Hence products like the frames made by Verkline which replace those buses with solid mounts along with the rest of the subframe . Some people go for a half way house and get a Tyrolsport deadset( for both front and rear) which stops the subframes from shuffling on their mounting points whilst  retaining the bush compliance .

I think that for a road car, the suspension bushes are your best place to begin, replacing with Superpro or the equivalent  and then decide if the rear of the car still feels too wayward for your liking , unless of course you are already at that point, and hence the above question. 

VelovetAndy

VelovetAndy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

Afterthought. The diff is mounted to the subframe via three rubber bushes. Whatever else you decide , keep those as God and VW intended . Unless you like your radio tuned up to maximum and your backside is well padded . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.