MK5 R32 Overheating :( - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

MK5 R32 Overheating :(

Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

aj179

aj179

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

Had the car for a few weeks after purchasing second hand and everything was going great until one day I noticed a funny smell after a long drive and pulled the hood up and car was obviously very hot even though gauge was showing normal temps, the fans spun for a long time after the car was turned off.

Fast forward living with the issue for the remainder of the trip and countless drives with cool down stops to prevent damage. I have an overheating issue where the car runs cool until stopped at lights and then it starts to climb until I start driving again.

The driver's side (mine is RHD)/smaller fan never spins, the big fan on the passenger side only spins with the a/c on full blast. I have let the car warm up to temp and continue to idle and the fans never come on and allow the car to overheat. I scanned the car with OBD2 and I get code '6470' 'Control unit 1 for radiator fan defective'.

Obviously, this would lead me to believe I should start with replacing the Cooling Fan Control Module https://www.ecstunin...e/74721109~gat/

I am aware this is included if you purchase both fans however I don't understand how the control module could not work when it is capable of working when the a/c is turned on. I assume this means that the a/c is sending a command to the control module and the control module is receiving it and turning it on.

Thought it could possibly be the thermostat however its a big job and to my knowledge that shouldn't be the cause of the fans not spinning, it should be causing the fans to work very hard.

Thought it could also possibly be the coolant temp sensor however I was monitoring the coolant temp with the obd so its obviously getting a reading.

To sum up:

Big fan works, small fan never works

Big fan only ever works with aircon on

Car overheats only when stationary, could drive on the freeway for hours

I am getting a reading from the temp sensor in obd

I got the fan control module code come up in obd

I own a multimeter if I can use that to my advantage in any way

I am on a tight budget currently as I just finished school and am paying the insurance, rego etc so would prefer to start with the cheaper options if it's worth it.

Where should I start?

Thanks in advance, you guys are a great community that I am proud to be a part of.

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to make sure I included every detail so all the information was clear.

Edited by aj179, 04 January 2021 - 07:55 AM.

Andy

Andy

• Moderators
  • 3346 posts
Is it loosing coolant

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

You can buy the part described much cheaper from China. https://www.ebay.co....5.c100005.m1851

McPikie

McPikie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
My first call would be water pump/thermostat if its heating up while stationary. Pretty sure the OEM impeller is plastic and can breakdown.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.