Any idea what this plug is for? MK4 R32 - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Any idea what this plug is for? MK4 R32

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ratbark

Ratbark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBucks
Apologies for the random/cryptic title!

I have a 4 pin/3 wire plug by the N/S headlight that appears to be missing a home.
It would also appear that there's possibly a plastic section missing in the same area, that would sit over (ish) the back of the headlight.
I'm hoping the pics will explain better than my addled brain can.

IMG-20210126-155428.jpg

IMG-20210126-155434.jpgpic hosting

I thought I had another pic but alas not.

If anyone can suss out what I'm wittering on about, that would be great. If not, I'll get more pics in due course and try to explain it better.

Many thanks in advance, Mark.

barrym381

barrym381

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Locationglasgow
Try the headlight as gen one xenons had 2plugs
  • Ratbark likes this

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5484 posts
Doesn't it plug into the top of the headlamp on the near side. U have to undo the plastic cover on the top of the slam panel to see the back of the headlight to see where it plugs into the top of the headlight
  • Ratbark likes this

Ratbark

Ratbark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBucks
Barry....mine are gen 1 headlights, and the N/S has 2 plugs already plugged in.

Doesn't it plug into the top of the headlamp on the near side. U have to undo the plastic cover on the top of the slam panel to see the back of the headlight to see where it plugs into the top of the headlight

That's the bit of plastic that's missing. I wasn't sure if there was something on that plastic trim that required a plug, as it were.

The top plug on the back of the headlight is from the ballast, and they're both working fine, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5484 posts
Well in that case I think that's the difference between gen1 and gen2 lights .

The way stuff plugs in must be different on gen1 lights .

Why has your R32 got gen1 xenons ? Anyway the plastic cover is just a cover. Nothing plugs into the cover !
  • Ratbark likes this

Ratbark

Ratbark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBucks

Well in that case I think that's the difference between gen1 and gen2 lights .
The way stuff plugs in must be different on gen1 lights .
Why has your R32 got gen1 xenons ? Anyway the plastic cover is just a cover. Nothing plugs into the cover !

Apologies for the late reply mate.

I can only guess it's got gen 1 because it's a 2002 built car, but was registered in Jan 2003.
I'm led to believe that gen 1 and 2 not interchangeable but I could be wrong. One thing's for sure, I'm finding all sorts of anomalies and lash ups on it ‍♂. Side, dip and main all now work even with that plug floating around.

I'll carry on scratching my head.
Many thanks for your replies, gents.
Mark

Ratbark

Ratbark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBucks
I reckon I must have just sussed it out!!

Will check later when I'm back at the car but there's a 3rd "socket" under the headlamp levelling unit which has 3 terminals. I didn't notice this before, but I've just been looking at gen 1 headlight pics on an eBay listing.

Will update once I've had a look

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2948 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Haven't you got this running yet... :P

Hope your well mate.

MJ

• Ratbark likes this
<p>BBS Bits n Pieces *CLICKHERE*
MJVR6Insta: @DjMj73
H&R Suspension parts/BBS Alloy supplier. Custom Mats all VAG via 'JustMatz/TorquePartz'
'Built Not Bought'.

Ratbark

Ratbark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBucks

Haven't you got this running yet... :P
Hope your well mate.
MJ

I'm on the vinegar strokes mate! Should be MOT'd in the next couple of weeks but I completely knackered the squib ring/steering angle sensor so need to source another one ‍♂

I'm good mate, ta. Hope you're all good dude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.