MK5 MIXING COOLANT IN OIL - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

MK5 MIXING COOLANT IN OIL

Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ihaveanmk5r32

Ihaveanmk5r32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello people, my first ever post!
I have an MK5 R32 mixing coolant inside the oil-not vice versa...
Any idea if there’s a common issue or do I begin doing a head gasket with a new chain?
Thanks!

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19382 posts
Head gasket is pretty rare on this engine, more than likely to be the oil cooler.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Ihaveanmk5r32

Ihaveanmk5r32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks ever so much. I’ll get it looked at!

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19382 posts
One thing to note that in cold ambient temperatures and if the car is used for short journeys you can get white milky deposits around the oil filler cap as the engine doesn't get earm enough to burn off the condensation. Some people mistake this for coolant mixing with the oil. If you genuinely have coolant mixing with the oil dùe to a failed oil cooler or head gasket, the coolant level will drop.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Ihaveanmk5r32

Ihaveanmk5r32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
We only dry store it in our garage and start it twice a month.... hasn’t been driven more than 100 miles for the year.
Haven’t noticed much drop in coolant. I’ll probably start with oil cooler.
Thanks again

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19382 posts
Well if that's the case, it will probably be the fact it's being started twice a month and the engine oil never gets warm enough to burn off the condensation and it's emulsifying in the oil giving the impression of coolant in the oil. My money is on there not being an issue but good luck and come back and let us know what you find.

Edited by cuprabob, 08 March 2021 - 09:15 AM.

• MagnusV6TT likes this

ChrisGR32

ChrisGR32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Agree with Cuprabob.

Clean the oil cap of any emulsification, take it for a long drive. Check oil cap when you get back.

Ihaveanmk5r32

Ihaveanmk5r32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks to both, I will be taking it out in august time so until then, I’ll keep you updated!

DubNurd

DubNurd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationWhangarei, NZ

Stop starting it up, if you aren't going to drive it.

That's WAY worse that leaving it for months without starting. Creates moisture and acids in the oil that start corroding things.

• MagnusV6TT likes this

Allan

My non-Golf .:R32
29361330218_1f724845b0_o.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.